Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 16:22 Quote
JeanBe wrote:
I’m switching from clipless to flats but just bought Crankbrothers Mallet’s and I was wondering are they any good with flats or should I invest for proper flats? Any experience using clipless shoes with flat pedals?

I would never personally ride clip shoes with flats.

The best flat combo I have ridden are the Specialized 2FO Roost shoe with the Yoshimura pedals. It's not a cheap combo, but that is the best traction combo I have been on.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/2fo-roost-flat-mountain-bike-shoes/p/187390?color=300602-187390

https://yoshimuracycling.com/collections/pedals/products/chilao-performance-bicycle-pedal-yoshikote

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 17:33 Quote
carlinojoevideo wrote:
JeanBe wrote:
I’m switching from clipless to flats but just bought Crankbrothers Mallet’s and I was wondering are they any good with flats or should I invest for proper flats? Any experience using clipless shoes with flat pedals?

I would never personally ride clip shoes with flats.

The best flat combo I have ridden are the Specialized 2FO Roost shoe with the Yoshimura pedals. It's not a cheap combo, but that is the best traction combo I have been on.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/2fo-roost-flat-mountain-bike-shoes/p/187390?color=300602-187390

https://yoshimuracycling.com/collections/pedals/products/chilao-performance-bicycle-pedal-yoshikote
I have that exact shoe and pedal combo and I was pretty disappointed by the grip from the pedals. My Boomslangs and my Atlas pedals both had way more grip.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 17:39 Quote
JeanBe wrote:

If you're just wanting to see if you like flats then just get a simple skate shoe like Gabriel mentioned and a cheap pedal. The RaceFace Chester is a decent pedal for the cost. But if you try a clipless shoe on a flat pedal it won't work and you'll think that you just don't like flat pedals.

FWIW I run Leatt flat shoes and Deity TMAC pedals. Decent grip. Not the best but they work for most things and I can move my feet around easily

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 19:27 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
JeanBe wrote:

https://burgtec.co.uk/product/mk4-composite-pedals/

Buy the above pedals
Buy any flat soled "skate" type shoe. Something like a Vans Classic will be fine.
For under £100 you have a perfectly functional setup that will last you a few years.

After that you can splash out on something fancier if you like it.
I tried 510's and hated them. I only run vans now. Enough grip and enough support. Perfect for the price. I wouldn't spend 100+ on flat shoes.

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 21:09 Quote
Agreed! If I can get 4 or 5 pairs of sale rail Vans Etnies etc for the same price as an 'MTB' shoe... then its a no brainer

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 21:43 Quote
Vans are fine in a pinch if you’re just starting out, but they’re super soft and provide no support. Your feet will probably start to hurt if you ride a lot.

They also have zero toe protection, and the rubber wears out pretty fast.

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 23:07 Quote
Thanks all! I believe it’s quite clear that mixing two different species is not a good idea! I’ll get proper flats and test it out with some of my old Vans to give it a go. I don’t mind investing into new shoes with more rigid structure so maybe that’s the next step then.

I’ve been riding with clipless for all my life but recently after falling a lot learned that it might be a good idea to occasionally get separated from your bike more easily Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 7:27 Quote
Don't go in to the change with high expectations. You WILL have habits from a lifetime of clipped riding that you will need to over come. Don't give up when you feel like you are flying off the pedals on every jump.

Move your feet forward a bit on the pedals and keep those heels pressed down.

I switched back to flats a couple of winter seasons ago and now I have trouble clipping back in. Can't stand the floating feeling.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 8:35 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
JeanBe wrote:

If you're just wanting to see if you like flats then just get a simple skate shoe like Gabriel mentioned and a cheap pedal. The RaceFace Chester is a decent pedal for the cost. But if you try a clipless shoe on a flat pedal it won't work and you'll think that you just don't like flat pedals.

FWIW I run Leatt flat shoes and Deity TMAC pedals. Decent grip. Not the best but they work for most things and I can move my feet around easily

That’s wild to hear! Sometimes I can’t even twist my shoe, I have to lift it and position again. But everyone is different and looking for a different feel ya know.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 9:46 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Vans are fine in a pinch if you’re just starting out, but they’re super soft and provide no support. Your feet will probably start to hurt if you ride a lot.

I have pretty much no issues with sore feet. Maybe if I ride all day. But even in dedicated bike shoes I would get sore feet. And not to toot my horn, but I would consider myself a pretty 'advanced' rider. If you're looking for a pair for shoes to jump in and ride in light tech, vans are perfect. 100% would recommend

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:09 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I have pretty much no issues with sore feet. Maybe if I ride all day. But even in dedicated bike shoes I would get sore feet. And not to toot my horn, but I would consider myself a pretty 'advanced' rider. If you're looking for a pair for shoes to jump in and ride in light tech, vans are perfect. 100% would recommend
I didn't think Vans were too soft when I was 15 either. lol

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:14 Quote
This^^^

I've found some 510s on sale for $40usd, can't go wrong. Winter is the best time to find sales on MTB gear. I do the same when I shop for snowboard gear in the summer! Sales all day...

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:16 Quote
Nobble wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I didn't think Vans were too soft when I was 15 either. lol
Okay you got my thereFacepalm

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:27 Quote
would clip pedals be weird on a freeride dh bike

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:28 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
would clip pedals be weird on a freeride dh bike
DH bike? No. Freeride bike? Yes

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031949
Mobile Version of Website