Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 5:24 Quote
karl-huckingbikes wrote:
Nobble wrote:
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Are you guys running bash guards with the roller or without? I see both on WC level bikes.
They do add a lot of drag when pedaling.

I’m gonna try it with the roller and maybe take it off later. It’s pretty easy to take a link out of the chain later.
i have the gamut guard with the slider has no drag the i know of
The chain literally drags across the slider. You may not be able to notice it but there is drag lol

Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 5:48 Quote
No drag on single speed Big Grin

Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 6:10 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Are you guys running bash guards with the roller or without? I see both on WC level bikes.

Ran with a roller for almost 2 years and ended up going with a slider. The roller would trap too much mud/grit/debris and end up being a serious problem. Trying to keep it clean and running smoothly was a PITA.

Once the slider was installed the hassle was eliminated.

Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 8:13 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Geometry question. Would a reach adjust headset affect headtube angle/bb height? Because the headset cups aren't parallel to the floor if you put in a reach adjust headset to add 5mm of reach wouldn't it steepen the HTA and drop the BB?

EDIT: Just did some math and found that for the bike I am looking at (2023 TR11), moving the reach out 5mm would in fact steepen the HTA by a little more than .1 degrees.

As you have since worked out, the answer is yes there is an effect, but it is insignificant. Not worth worrying about

BMXJJ327 wrote:

Again, while I would suggest that there is a difference, it will be insignificant. Might add a second or two to your total time if pedalling hundreds of miles, but in a dh scenario I would imagine the time lost is in the region of millionths of a second. Whereas the time lost when your chain falls of will be hugely more significant.

I often see silly things happening on WC race bikes. Usually I put this down to the fact that the placebo effect can influence race times dramatically.

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 17:34 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

BMXJJ327 wrote:

Again, while I would suggest that there is a difference, it will be insignificant. Might add a second or two to your total time if pedalling hundreds of miles, but in a dh scenario I would imagine the time lost is in the region of millionths of a second. Whereas the time lost when your chain falls of will be hugely more significant.

I often see silly things happening on WC race bikes. Usually I put this down to the fact that the placebo effect can influence race times dramatically.

I run one on all my bikes, much rather have the knowledge that I can bash my BB into something and not having to deal with worrying about my chainring, and lets not even talk about the pedal kickback Razz

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 15:26 Quote
Which downhill frame would you guys start with if you were building up a new rig?

Mod
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 15:40 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Which downhill frame would you guys start with if you were building up a new rig?
Banshee legend

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 15:41 Quote
mior wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Banshee legend

I thought I was the only one with this dream!

Damn financial responsibilities and obligations...

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 18:44 Quote
Nobble wrote:
BMXJJ327 wrote:
They do add a lot of drag when pedaling.

I’m gonna try it with the roller and maybe take it off later. It’s pretty easy to take a link out of the chain later.

lol worrying about super minor pedal drag on a dh bike

Mod
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 19:36 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
mior wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Banshee legend

I thought I was the only one with this dream!

Damn financial responsibilities and obligations...

I see it as a classier demo

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 20:15 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Too vague a question, but for me something short with a low BB and 26” 26/27 moto or whatever its called

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 20:17 Quote
They still make 26"???? Honest question...

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 5:14 Quote
Ya, there is some 26” stuff out there- no new frames are 26 but he didn’t specify it had to be a new frame

I just ride bikepark and 26 is my preferred

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 5:22 Quote
He literally said “new rig”.

And you literally quoted it.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 6:15 Quote
fredro wrote:
He literally said “new rig”.

And you literally quoted it.

Lol I will see myself out

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021021
Mobile Version of Website