Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 12:35 Quote
Leenelson wrote:
Is there any 8 speed rear mech that has a short cage? If not then can you change from a long cage to short cage?
You can use a 9 speed mech with an 8 speed shifter...

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 13:11 Quote
Leenelson wrote:
Is there any 8 speed rear mech that has a short cage? If not then can you change from a long cage to short cage?
If you have an 8 speed drive train it's not worth it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 13:43 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Leenelson wrote:

So what will I need to get? I'm a noob at this haha

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 14:04 Quote
mate1998 wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
SWenduro wrote:

I've decided he's a troll who is determined to keep his cover.

OMFG how did I miss this? I really don't think he should even own a bike. His lack of willingness to understand even the most basic principles of mechanics is unparalleled on pb, and his ineptitude at accepting and following advice he is given seems to be grating on all of us.
Does he even know what tires are filled with? (The same thing as his cranial cavity!)

@spicy Mike...

Dude how do you even keep a straight face when he asks these questions? Boy you must have some serious patience!!
he should try poker

Hahaha i dont. I do have tons of patience but that doesnt mean i dont go wtf.. I get we all started from somewhere so i can get that, but i dont think theres anyway anyone can look normal asking those kind of questions frequently without bothering too do your own part in learning/reading.

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 15:08 Quote
Leenelson wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Leenelson wrote:

So what will I need to get? I'm a noob at this haha

What you can do is get a 9sp short cage derailleur and hook it up to your 8sp shifter, you have to buy a matching derailleur to what brand your shifter is, and from your pic you'll need a Sram. However setting it up will require you to either take it to a shop or watch a few videos on youtube to figure it out.

However if you are just upgrading for the sake of upgrading, I would upgrade the shifter, derailleur cassette and chain all in one go, and I'd go 10sp while I'm at it.

Also, from your pic, you have front gears as well. You cannot use a short cage derailleur with 3 front gears, and it's very specific at what it can handle with 2 up front.

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 15:29 Quote
What is the difference or what is ICSG 05 and BB mount for chain guides? I take it BB is bottom bracket but what should I get?

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 at 17:10 Quote
X7, X9, X0.

I'm buying a new mech and shifter. Currently run X9, would I really notice a huge difference if I went either way?

I never really feel like I have time to appreciate how crisp my shifting is when i'm actually riding.

I'm going to start climbing more, will I notice it more then?

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 at 17:24 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
X7, X9, X0.

I'm buying a new mech and shifter. Currently run X9, would I really notice a huge difference if I went either way?

I never really feel like I have time to appreciate how crisp my shifting is when i'm actually riding.

I'm going to start climbing more, will I notice it more then?
I'd stay x9 for the mech, but get a clutch derailleur if you don't have one already. For the shifter get whatever you want/can afford. I'm running an x7, which is fine. Some people like the bearing in the x9 shifter.

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 at 18:13 Quote
Thanks Arnoodles.

I'll have a look around for the best price on each. I'll probably go X9 since it hasn't given me any issues until I gave it a whack. Might even go Shimano, the value seems much better.

Last question:

I'll change the front to a N/W ring and top guide at the same time.

Is this secure enough for occasional downhill duties? I've heard good things.

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 at 18:18 Quote
It should be. I just finished a day at Whistler riding my AM bike with a NW ring, no guide, and no clutch. Didn't drop my chain at all.

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 at 18:27 Quote
Also, you'll get better shifting from a higher spec shifter paired with a lower spec mech vs the other way around. And I'd go with an X9 over a X7 mech.

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 14:59 Quote
skibabird wrote:
So I put a small nick in my 2013 Fox 40 Kashima Stantion today, is there anything i can do to fix it? or should i not even bother to worry about it and keep riding?

if the nick is near the bottom of the stanchion close to the oil seal it will leak oil every time the scrach passes the seal.

if its at the top half of the stanchion it should be okay as your not always using that much travel so the scracth wont pass the seal often

if the scratch is right near the seal you can lower the fork so the scratch in the stanchion is below the seal.

either way I would get like 1000 grit wet sand paper and sand the scratch to remove any high spots that will damage your seal. dont sand much just a few swipes directly ontop the scratch.

good luck man, it sucks happened to my brand new fox 180 after 1 week Frown

also I found the nail polish method didnt work... for me the nail polish kept coming off, like it couldnt adhere to the stanchions.

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 15:00 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
It should be. I just finished a day at Whistler riding my AM bike with a NW ring, no guide, and no clutch. Didn't drop my chain at all.

thats crazy, and informative for me lol I have no guide on my DH bike, but I stick to A-line and dirt merchant mostly.

what trails were you riding?

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

thats crazy, and informative for me lol I have no guide on my DH bike, but I stick to A-line and dirt merchant mostly.

Blue Velvet, Freight Train, Aline, Dirt Merchant, Duffman, Funshine Rolly Drops, Smoke and Mirrors, Blueseum, Wednesday Night Delight. Ninja Cougar, Fade to Black, Joycross, and Heart of Darkness.

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 15:22 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

Blue Velvet, Freight Train, Aline, Dirt Merchant, Duffman, Funshine Rolly Drops, Smoke and Mirrors, Blueseum, Wednesday Night Delight. Ninja Cougar, Fade to Black, Joycross, and Heart of Darkness.
Stahp

I'm jelly.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014545
Mobile Version of Website