Marzocchi 55r travel issue

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Marzocchi 55r travel issue
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 10:05 Quote
hello was wondering if any one knows a cure to the infamous 55r travel restriction problem mine is nt severe it goes to 110mm out of 160mm but its starting to get worse does any one know how to solve it without it been sent back ?

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 10:29 Quote
I'm assuming you have a 2008/2009 year fork? If so you'll need a new rebound cartridge. The one in your fork is a sealed unit with nitrogen inside. Those units had a travel loss issue. You need a new open bath type which does away with the nitrogen. The unit essentially has a couple holes in it which allows the oil in the fork leg to lubricate the damper (called an "open bath system"). For this reason, when you install the new cartridge, you will need to adjust the oil level in the fork as per Marzocchi's instructions for post 2009 55's.

If your fork is a 2009 model and is still covered by the Manufacturer's Warranty (check the fork leg for a reflective "3 Year" sticker) send it back and they should fix it.

If not, you can buy the new cartridge here: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/147/703873/marzocchi-55r-cartridge.html.

Some people have drilled small holes in the existing cartridge, but since it's is pressurized it is a dangerous thing to do. I wouldn't recommend it. Hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 11:26 Quote
thanks a bunch mate my fork is 08 im glad to finally have a solid solution thanks a lot

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 11:38 Quote
No problem. Installing the new cartridge is pretty simple. Don't forget to add the appropriate type and amount of fork oil. Search YouTube for some videos of people taking apart a 55 if you need more help.

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 6:38 Quote
Drill it out. Super simple. The nitrogen barely makes a hiss. Open bath goodness. Happened on my 08 Z1 Sport

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 8:27 Quote
spou-unit -- is it easy to get through and would it be better to pierce a tiny hole first ?

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 8:56 Quote
It's like a 1/16" wall thickness using a 1/16" bit. drill 3 holes, drill one hole larger and tap is for a set screw of using a spring pin.

I can send it to your email, pm me your email. It's a word doc

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 6:47 Quote
I just did the cartridge mod (drilled) and the fork honestly works better than it ever did. Took me less than an hour to do.

Regarding the high pressure nitrogen, as long as your gentle with the drill and dont force it you'l be fine. There really isnt much in there.
Just make sure the cartridge is flat/level when you drill it, that way the gas will come out in one small burst and shouldn't cover you in oil. Wear goggles or glasses just in case. Also loosely coil some rag around where your drilling just in case.

Be carefull when compressing the cartridge to get the oil out as it will shoot out like a water pistol given the chance...

MTBR.com has a pdf with good clear pictures and descriptions of what to do.

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 9:46 Quote
cheers budduy i got some instructions on this other dude but i cant follow them there not in mm there in inch stupid

FL
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 9:49 Quote
MonsterThirteen wrote:
I just did the cartridge mod (drilled) and the fork honestly works better than it ever did. Took me less than an hour to do.

Regarding the high pressure nitrogen, as long as your gentle with the drill and dont force it you'l be fine. There really isnt much in there.
Just make sure the cartridge is flat/level when you drill it, that way the gas will come out in one small burst and shouldn't cover you in oil. Wear goggles or glasses just in case. Also loosely coil some rag around where your drilling just in case.

Be carefull when compressing the cartridge to get the oil out as it will shoot out like a water pistol given the chance...

MTBR.com has a pdf with good clear pictures and descriptions of what to do.

Link?

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 10:16 Quote
You can't convert?? 1in = 25.4mm

The conversion does work very well.

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 12:09 Quote
done it the forks work sweet as foooooooooooooooooook now cheers for the conversion im not so gd with numbers that nitrogen thing scared the f*ck out of me and it sprayed oil all over the bloody wall

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 12:12 Quote
I used a 2mm drill bit for the first small hole to let the nitrogen out, then a 2.5mm bit for the other 2. Also used Castrol Motorbike fork oil, 10wt. 1 small bottle is enough, cost £4 from halfords.

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 16:20 Quote
How about a link to the pdf file for the conversion

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 16:48 Quote
It was the rebound cartridge in my 2008 55R
Covered under warranty back then (2009)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011479
Mobile Version of Website