Norco Aurum owners

PB Forum :: Downhill
Norco Aurum owners
Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 12:39 Quote
Hi guys

i'm running a aurum carbon 2016 with vivid air..
pretty happy with it, but nowadays everbody says coil over air. therefore i think about trying a vivid coil, ccdb coil or dhx2..
had contact with norco for setup tips, cause i'm currently running only 25% sag in the rear, they said i should try 30-35% sag with an air shock too. Tried it the last time at the dh course, but didn't liked it, so i'm back at 25% with half closed compression and quite fast rebound. The bike feels really fast and poppy, exhausting to ride but i like the feeling. maybe not as stable at rough sections as other bikes with coil, but the more you turn up the gas the more the bike does his job.
so any of you guys rode coil and air in your aurum and can give me some advise? should i order one of the coil shocks (ccdb, dhx2,..) or is it not worth the money?

i know its my own riding style and decision but just want to hear your experience with air vs coil in the carbon aurum?

thanks a lot and kind regards
franz

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 19:48 Quote
Coil will be better with small bumps and rock gardens but if you like your current set up don't change it. You will ride better with what you're confortable with not what everybody on internet thinks.

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 20:05 Quote
mollow wrote:
Coil will be better with small bumps and rock gardens but if you like your current set up don't change it. You will ride better with what you're confortable with not what everybody on internet thinks.
^
This!

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 21:15 Quote
Funny how the pendulum swings back and forth from coil to air and back to coil again. It doesn't hurt to have a spare shock so why not get a coil and see what you like

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
Eesha wrote:
Hi guys

i'm running a aurum carbon 2016 with vivid air..
pretty happy with it, but nowadays everbody says coil over air. therefore i think about trying a vivid coil, ccdb coil or dhx2..
had contact with norco for setup tips, cause i'm currently running only 25% sag in the rear, they said i should try 30-35% sag with an air shock too. Tried it the last time at the dh course, but didn't liked it, so i'm back at 25% with half closed compression and quite fast rebound. The bike feels really fast and poppy, exhausting to ride but i like the feeling. maybe not as stable at rough sections as other bikes with coil, but the more you turn up the gas the more the bike does his job.
so any of you guys rode coil and air in your aurum and can give me some advise? should i order one of the coil shocks (ccdb, dhx2,..) or is it not worth the money?

i know its my own riding style and decision but just want to hear your experience with air vs coil in the carbon aurum?

thanks a lot and kind regards
franz

I have a DHX2 on mine and like it. Wide tuneability to make it feel how you want. I prefer rebound on the slower side so it stays composed and planted. Compression I run as open as possible especially on HSC, with LSC a bit firmer. 500# spring @ 210lbs with about 30-33% sag.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 6:51 Quote
Thanks for the answers!
Yeah riding with what feels right is the way to go, i know Smile

I find it kind of strange that the public view changed so much about air shocks, i think thats quite influenced by industry, but in fact coil is the better choice on paper but riding is more than "paper facts".

Hm, did your ride another shock before? Can you compare it?

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 16:18 Quote
Eesha wrote:
Thanks for the answers!
Yeah riding with what feels right is the way to go, i know Smile

I find it kind of strange that the public view changed so much about air shocks, i think thats quite influenced by industry, but in fact coil is the better choice on paper but riding is more than "paper facts".

Hm, did your ride another shock before? Can you compare it?

Not on this bike. I would definitely try an air shock if it came on a DH bike I bought. I've tried the Float X2 on several demo bikes and it felt good. I do feel like coil should perform better between long services due to less demands being placed on the seals and offer better small bump over time for the same reason. If you maintain your air shock really well then it shouldn't matter... I have air on my trail bike and like it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 19:53 Quote
Tora-Bora wrote:
I bought norco aurum 6.2 yesterday. Size M. Have a problem with the rear derailleur. Can't tune it. When the chain on the smallest ring it often stucks in derailleur ring. The guy from the shop said the problem is chain too long. I wonder. Is anyone faced such problem?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1746138/Bikes/IMG_6193_web.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1746138/Bikes/IMG_6201_web.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1746138/Bikes/IMG_6197_web.jpg

it seems as though the link for the deraileur is not long enough to clear the rear stay pivot. i think this can be solved by a goat link of some sort but i am just now seeing this issue since i just this week bought one.

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 19:03 Quote
This has probably been asked before. But I just picked up a medium 2016 7.3. I am 5'10". My other bike is a stumpy with short reach as well. My question is , will I regret buying the medium frame bike? Anyone else 5'10" riding a medium? Or should I be on the large.

I'm not a racer, mostly early shuttle runs and northstar. Just a bike added to the quiver

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 19:47 Quote
Bjjmike wrote:
This has probably been asked before. But I just picked up a medium 2016 7.3. I am 5'10". My other bike is a stumpy with short reach as well. My question is , will I regret buying the medium frame bike? Anyone else 5'10" riding a medium? Or should I be on the large.

I'm not a racer, mostly early shuttle runs and northstar. Just a bike added to the quiver

you'll be fine.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 20:35 Quote
Bjjmike wrote:

I'm 5.10 onna med. I like it. If anything it feels a lil big. And my last bike was a large spezh demo

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 21:08 Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 3:18 Quote
Bjjmike wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Buy a longer stem if you feel its a little short

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
5'10" (but I have a long torso) on a large carbon... Fit is good, perfect for bike park. I would actually look at an XL if I was racing as the large is not very long in reach (432mm). It's fine for Whistler tech stuff and great for jumping but an XL would be better for high speed rough terrain in racing.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 19:25 Quote
Just took her out on the maiden voyage. A quick mike downhill shuttle, it was great. Suspension was a little soft. If I was a racer maybe would go longer. I'm short limbed and just getting stared. It was fun and playful.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023088
Mobile Version of Website