New bike....Need advice!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 13:06 Quote
Right then, I'm getting a bit too old for freeride and my Orange Patriot is simply too much for me and so I find myself in the market for a new all mountain frame. So I was hoping that you guys might be able to help me out with some advice. What I'm looking for is something I can ride out on the trails but also use in the alps. I don't do any hucking or anything like that anymore but any frame I buy will have to be able to deal with Morzine and Les Deux Alpes a couple of times a year and I suppose I may want to use it for the Mega next summer as well. I have been looking at various bike and wondered what you guys thought would suit my needs best. The frames that have caught my eye are the Nomad or the Butcher from Santa Cruz, the Titus El Guapo, Ellsworth Moment and the Orange 5. I'd be interested to hear what anyone thinks about these frames and if you have any other suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them. I have set myself a limit of £1800 for the frame but I'm open to cheaper frames, it just means that I can upgrade some of the other parts with any money I save.

Thanks guys.

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 13:27 Quote
Also pretty keen on the Nuke Proof Mega!

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 18:40 Quote
A Nomad looks like it would be at the top of your price range, but it would destroy the Mega if you built it up with the right parts. The VPP is really nice and active on the descents, and offers a bunch of traction on the climbs. It's probably not the best design if you climb out of the saddle a lot, just because this causes it to bob a bit more than some other designs. If you've seen what Kirt Vorheis and Jamie Goldman have put the Blurs and Nomads through, they will handle pretty much anything you can throw at them and are strong enough to take the abuse for a long time.

I'd also take a look at the Specialized Enduro. Pretty good design, comes in carbon or aluminum, and handles technical terrain pretty well.

Also, never ridden it but the Intense Tracer seems really cool with the adjustable geometry and all. Plus, Intense is well known for making beautiful frames, and their build quality is unparalleled.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 20:16 Quote
As ^ post mentions, I would take a look at the specialized enduro. I took one on a few rides in super tech trails and it killed everything. Loved that bike

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 20:24 Quote
Out of your choices, I'd say the best would be the Nomad or Enduro!

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
Mcgemski wrote:
Also pretty keen on the Nuke Proof Mega!
Go with the Mega such a good bike,a true do it all bike

FL
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 12:18 Quote
Canyon strive or Rocky mountain slayer or Divinci dixon. Could try kona abracadabra these are the bikes im considering for similar riding.

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 14:19 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll cetainly have a look at the Devinci, rocky mountain, Intense and the Enduro so thanks for those. I have just found the Titus El Guapo for £799 which seems like a good deal as well.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV2/titus_el_guapo_frame_and_monarch_shock

Has anyone ever ridden one or even heard what they are like?

FL
Posted: Mar 8, 2012 at 11:59 Quote
Divinci make really nice frames, bought my son an Ollie and it's really very smooth. Im looking for an all mountain ride that doesn't weigh too much but can do the alps, the slayer really looks like it will do the biz but perhaps too much travel for most of my rideing, the Dixon has less but is very capeable. Another im looking at is the pivot 5.7 but it's more dosh. Check out Freeborn cycles they have deals on the Divinci.

Posted: May 5, 2012 at 21:10 Quote
If it's not too late, I've been riding a Titus El Guapo for 2 years now, and I love it. Climbs great, and rails the downhill sections. I have used it for DH in British Colombia, and back country epics here in Montana. It's set up 6" front and back, and takes everything I throw at it with a smile. Highly recomended. Prior bikes were Gary Fisher Fat Possum, and hard tails before that. I have demo'd Trek Fuel and a friends Stumpy, but wanted my EG back right after.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012171
Mobile Version of Website