DH Race Fitness Training

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
DH Race Fitness Training
O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 18:09 Quote
ACEdwards wrote:
I currently race motocross but am hoping to race downhill too next year, all being well. Even if I then quit motocross and just focused on downhill, I would still do the same fitness training that I did for motocross. It's all cardio / endurance based with a bit of circuit training too but if it works for motocross then I'd be confident that it would work for downhill...even if downhill is more of an intense 3-4 minute sprint.

Monday I run, gently. 45 mins. Tuesday I do a 10,000m row and try to beat the time from the week before. Wednesday I swim for an hour. Thursday I run hard with a 1 min sprint every 10 minutes, followed by a 1 minute rest, increasing the average mph after each sprint and rest. I then do circuit training consisting of 5 exercise. I do 3 of these one after the other and then the other 2 after each other at the end. Friday I cycle as hard as possible for 45 minutes.

Listen to your body, you don't want to burn out. What works for some, may not work for others. However turning up to race downhill knowing you are going to be as fit or fitter than the other guys is going to give you extra confidence and will result in a greater ride...and also you will ride more safely. Have fun.

Thats an intense routine, good way to keep your muscles doing different work loads too in regards to incorporating the rows, swimming and intervals!! Keep it up!

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 1:45 Quote
double wrote:
ACEdwards wrote:
I currently race motocross but am hoping to race downhill too next year, all being well. Even if I then quit motocross and just focused on downhill, I would still do the same fitness training that I did for motocross. It's all cardio / endurance based with a bit of circuit training too but if it works for motocross then I'd be confident that it would work for downhill...even if downhill is more of an intense 3-4 minute sprint.

Monday I run, gently. 45 mins. Tuesday I do a 10,000m row and try to beat the time from the week before. Wednesday I swim for an hour. Thursday I run hard with a 1 min sprint every 10 minutes, followed by a 1 minute rest, increasing the average mph after each sprint and rest. I then do circuit training consisting of 5 exercise. I do 3 of these one after the other and then the other 2 after each other at the end. Friday I cycle as hard as possible for 45 minutes.

Listen to your body, you don't want to burn out. What works for some, may not work for others. However turning up to race downhill knowing you are going to be as fit or fitter than the other guys is going to give you extra confidence and will result in a greater ride...and also you will ride more safely. Have fun.

Thats an intense routine, good way to keep your muscles doing different work loads too in regards to incorporating the rows, swimming and intervals!! Keep it up!
Thanks Smile

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 8:22 Quote
I dont know if its right but i feel much more stable and pwerfull on the bike now since ive started this routeen

wake up have COFFEE and cerial then two sets of 20 press ups and two set of arm curls with 20KG weights. have shower then ride to work its only 7 mile ride but i mix it up with mini sprints etc at lunch i grap a tuna salad or something then go to my gym for the hour over the road and circuit of bench presses stomach crunches squats etc untill ive had it. back to work then ride home. a further two sets of press ups before bed.

im doing this 5 days a week and DH ing on the weekend about twice a month

im allways starving when i get home and genrally eat meat and rice or meat and pasta with veg oh and salmon i do love salmon.

i can now lay down the power and control on the bike ive allways wanted to

it took three months to realy see the benifets and i lost two stone and gained muscle.

Cant quit the beer tho its my nemesis but i love it

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 17:32 Quote
REDBIMO wrote:
I dont know if its right but i feel much more stable and pwerfull on the bike now since ive started this routeen

wake up have COFFEE and cerial then two sets of 20 press ups and two set of arm curls with 20KG weights. have shower then ride to work its only 7 mile ride but i mix it up with mini sprints etc at lunch i grap a tuna salad or something then go to my gym for the hour over the road and circuit of bench presses stomach crunches squats etc untill ive had it. back to work then ride home. a further two sets of press ups before bed.

im doing this 5 days a week and DH ing on the weekend about twice a month

im allways starving when i get home and genrally eat meat and rice or meat and pasta with veg oh and salmon i do love salmon.

i can now lay down the power and control on the bike ive allways wanted to

it took three months to realy see the benifets and i lost two stone and gained muscle.

Cant quit the beer tho its my nemesis but i love it

don't ever quit the beer or you'll lose your mojoBeer

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 18:22 Quote
Is it ok also to cross train with road running and trail running?

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 3:57 Quote
smileyboy wrote:
Yeah it's actually good to do that. Road running is bad on your shins because of the impact, so mixing it up with trail running is a good idea. Of course running once, twice or three tiems a week on the road is still fine...but if you're doing it every single day then it's a good idea to put some trail in there instead.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 5:45 Quote
Cant seem to shake that last bit of belly though no matter how hard i train. Why wont it go???

ive started doing all sorts of crunches until my stomach pains me from about three weeks ago but still it doesnt seem to reduce.

I want the beer with out the belly HELP!

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:18 Quote
ACEdwards wrote:
smileyboy wrote:
Yeah it's actually good to do that. Road running is bad on your shins because of the impact, so mixing it up with trail running is a good idea. Of course running once, twice or three tiems a week on the road is still fine...but if you're doing it every single day then it's a good idea to put some trail in there instead.

thanks man, I'll try to mix it up with trail running, I usually run on the road about 2 to 3x a week for about 6 months now and I don't feel that exhausted just like before after a ride. Glad I started running then..tup

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:16 Quote
REDBIMO wrote:
Cant seem to shake that last bit of belly though no matter how hard i train. Why wont it go???

ive started doing all sorts of crunches until my stomach pains me from about three weeks ago but still it doesnt seem to reduce.

I want the beer with out the belly HELP!

The last bit comes down to cardio and diet my friend. You can do all the crunches or leg raises in the world, but you need to shed that fat to see the sun shine. I would recommend doing High Intensity Interval training 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes per session. Along with that, monitor your diet, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and tone down the intake on carbs such as breads or rich pastas.

Your outtake has to trump your intake, so technically you can have all the beer you want, but you need to work even harder to burn that beer off, and then some! Everything in moderation and training always at the highest intensity!

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 at 3:01 Quote
Fair one I think i eat too much pasta I'm going to cut down a bit i can't train any harder is I'm knackered every night at the mo so it has to be diet.

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 at 7:22 Quote
REDBIMO wrote:
Fair one I think i eat too much pasta I'm going to cut down a bit i can't train any harder is I'm knackered every night at the mo so it has to be diet.

yeah man think of it like this: humans evolved as hunter gatherers- our digestive system is designed for meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, and roots. Try to stick to those things and avoid processed foods like pasta, bread, or anything that has been ground up and changed from its original form. And of course lots of beer creates a nice low center of gravity around your belt line which helps you keep yourself stable.

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 at 10:09 Quote
digital1234 wrote:
Health and fitness required for a fit body, welcome here new york home health care is the knowledge about the fitness and health care , you link it and will get the whole advice and ideas , views for the healthcare.

I also believe that this is the only solution that can finally afford to go back on a sound footing and break the deadlock with Racing will not be released even if the rise in L2 late in the season.
TRX sale

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 at 10:46 Quote
ACEdwards wrote:
smileyboy wrote:

Running on any surface is fine as long as you use correct form. Our bodies are designed to run all day every day on baked clay and hard-pack dirt in the African savanna. A few kilometers a day on some asphalt won't do anything. Strike with your toes, not your heels, and don't be a "heavy" runner--stay light on your toes and don't collapse into each step. Also, using incorrect form puts more strain on your lower back and knees than your shins.

I typically run 1/4 marathons (15k +/-) a few times a week for stamina/cardio training. For DH racing, however, I would recommend short-distance, high-intensity interval training: sprint 100 meters at full tilt, jog 200 meters, repeat. Do this once or twice a week and you'll have incredibly powerful leg muscles and will dominate the pedaling sections. Sprinting also recruits a lot of core muscles to stabilize, so you'll increase your overall core strength as well.

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 at 18:16 Quote
frolosophy wrote:
ACEdwards wrote:
smileyboy wrote:

Running on any surface is fine as long as you use correct form. Our bodies are designed to run all day every day on baked clay and hard-pack dirt in the African savanna. A few kilometers a day on some asphalt won't do anything. Strike with your toes, not your heels, and don't be a "heavy" runner--stay light on your toes and don't collapse into each step. Also, using incorrect form puts more strain on your lower back and knees than your shins.

I typically run 1/4 marathons (15k +/-) a few times a week for stamina/cardio training. For DH racing, however, I would recommend short-distance, high-intensity interval training: sprint 100 meters at full tilt, jog 200 meters, repeat. Do this once or twice a week and you'll have incredibly powerful leg muscles and will dominate the pedaling sections. Sprinting also recruits a lot of core muscles to stabilize, so you'll increase your overall core strength as well.
great info, as I have continued running as part of my routine I actually found out also its benefits when pedaling uphill, Me and some of my buddies did an XC ride last weekend around 40 kms, I guess 6 months of regular running paid of, I was ahead of the pack and did't feel exhausted, I just felt my legs felt "rigid" maybe because I did not stretch correctly before the ride or my leg muscles stiffened due to running.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024653
Mobile Version of Website