Tubeless wheelset suggestions

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tubeless wheelset suggestions
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 6:09 Quote
Hi i have an specialized epic 04 standard quick release front and rear, im thinking about going tubeless i ride xc and enjoy the odd sketchy dh section rockes and roots at slowish speeds. but mainly just singletrack and fireroads ect. I was just wondering if anyone out there could suggest a Tubeless / UST wheelset that would
1, designed for xc / trail use - some light abuse
2, work well with 2.1 or 2.2 tyre sizes
3, be between £300 - £400 in price
4, be light'ish without being to expensive
These wheels wont be doing 6ft drop offs or going down the alps. im just after a nice fair priced set of ust wheels , please do not suggest a getto set up as ive been there before and just want a nice pair of ust / tubeless wheels to complement xc / trail riding on a specialized epic please keep it in the price range and they need to be available in the uk
hope you guys can help a tubeless noob out , cheers

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 6:53 Quote
jamesfoggin06 wrote:
Hi i have an specialized epic 04 standard quick release front and rear, im thinking about going tubeless i ride xc and enjoy the odd sketchy dh section rockes and roots at slowish speeds. but mainly just singletrack and fireroads ect. I was just wondering if anyone out there could suggest a Tubeless / UST wheelset that would
1, designed for xc / trail use - some light abuse
2, work well with 2.1 or 2.2 tyre sizes
3, be between £300 - £400 in price
4, be light'ish without being to expensive
These wheels wont be doing 6ft drop offs or going down the alps. im just after a nice fair priced set of ust wheels , please do not suggest a getto set up as ive been there before and just want a nice pair of ust / tubeless wheels to complement xc / trail riding on a specialized epic please keep it in the price range and they need to be available in the uk
hope you guys can help a tubeless noob out , cheers

I'm going to put my vote if for a Mavic 819X with Hope Pro2 combination. I put this combo on 2 bikes and love it. There are some board members that ride these in DH trails without a problem. Mine have been down Porcupine Rim full tilt as also climbed 401 type trails also. No issue. Awesome aluminum in these rims and the hubs speak for themselves. As fo UK availability, Hope should be a no-brainer... Even though they're not rated for it, I have run 2.4" tires on these rims without an issue. I even ran conti MKs in 2.4 for a full season with no sealant without an issue and no air loss (a stupid idea by the way but the set was only on hardpack).

Good luck.
A

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 7:21 Quote
pro 2's with stan's flow rims

the pro 2 hubs are a no brainer ,they can be adapted to any axel type so if you choose to upgrade stuff you won't have the wheels putting a spanner in the works

around £290 for the pair .

possibly crest rims if your going more xc .

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 7:34 Quote
really aiming for more xc that am / dh so maybe the crest hope combo is the way to go are the crest sealed rims or do they use rim tape? are flow's more am than xc ? like i said im a real ust noob cheers for the pointers tho

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 7:57 Quote
jamesfoggin06 wrote:
really aiming for more xc that am / dh so maybe the crest hope combo is the way to go are the crest sealed rims or do they use rim tape? are flow's more am than xc ? like i said im a real ust noob cheers for the pointers tho

All Stan's rims are sealed with rim tape. I wouldn't go with the Crest as they are more of a race rim then a XC rim. Look at the Arch rim or the Arch EX. The Flow's are for AM use.

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 9:17 Quote
Ok so can anyone put up an argument for either mavic's fully sealed rim vs stans rim tape, the stans crest / flow all use rim tape and the rim has holes to allow the spokes to be threaded through, this system just seems to be a posh gettto system sold by shops ? where as the mavic seem to be fully sealed. both seem to have a rim that will grip the bead, is this where the stans differ from just a normal non ust rim ? I like the sound of the stans on hope but feel like i might just be getting a very expensive getto set up that could be achieved with two bmx tubes and a bottle goo? im not trying to fritter the money away or do it on the cheap i really just want to know what the real world differences are ? all comments are much apprecaited many thanks

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 9:40 Quote
as far as i'm aware the lower end mavic rims also require rim strips , only the topend crossmax/deemax wheels come with a fully sealed rim .

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 9:54 Quote
So can anyone say if it makes a difference ? Mavic vs stans rims

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 13:49 Quote
what axle sizes you after, stans all the way the flows are so good

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 14:46 Quote
135 rear standard quick release for the front, don't know that actuall size to fit fox float 80 rl forks from 04 I'm just really after some pointers as to what to look for in a tubeless set up for xc

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 15:05 Quote
i got a set of stans 3 weeks ago only took 10 mins to get them air tight with bonti xr4 team issue tires, go with a set of stans flows such a good rim check out this wheel set Big Grin
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=496

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 15:16 Quote
They do sound great , how are they how do they feel compared to your old wheels ? Dose tubeless transform your bike ? Many thanks

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 15:35 Quote
night and day mate, mine are a little different i have the same rims with different spokes and rear hub.
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=498

They are stiff a light not much else i can say except i got my first set and liked them that much i got a second set lol .
With the tubeless setup you can run lower psi for better grip and no more fixing tubes witch is always a good thing i would not go back to tubes now
dont get a normal qr get the 10 mm for your rear and a 9 mm for the front a lot stiffer and can be run in your standard qr dropouts
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=286
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=287

Posted: Mar 22, 2012 at 5:23 Quote
b45her wrote:
as far as i'm aware the lower end mavic rims also require rim strips , only the topend crossmax/deemax wheels come with a fully sealed rim .

The 819 is a fully sealed Mavic rim and is the best I've used to date. Many agree. The bead grabs and holds without sealant and as I said earlier, there is something about the maxial aluminum that Mavic uses - it is simply incredible for it's trueness and strength to weight ratio.

Thanks,
A.

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 at 15:21 Quote
save cash and buy mavic crossmax sx's
done

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038176
Mobile Version of Website