The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: May 11, 2019 at 19:48 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
Moxie V2...

photo
photo
photo

Oh lovely. Those are 27+ tires right?

O+
Posted: May 11, 2019 at 21:46 Quote
photo

Lynskey Bootleg

I have so much fun on my Lynskey. I don't get the long hardtail thing. They don't manual and are more difficult to bunnyhop. Riding them is boring in comparison....you just sit in the middle and go down. With a tighter wheelbase, you move back and forwards over the wheels that allows you to be much more creative in how you ride the trail.

I also agree with the person who said they were getting bored with the newer geo with a straight line from the headtube to the rear axle. I used to think it was of benefit but in all honesty, where the seat sits when pushed down has more to do with clearance for cornering than does the height of the top tube.

In any case, sorry it isn't the best quality photo. Blackberry cameras suck it seems, as do my phone photography skills.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I don't care if those bars are made out of dick suckin lips..... 360 is pure robbery

this made me laugh

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I don't care if those bars are made out of dick suckin lips..... 360 is pure robbery

Quote of the year.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 7:00 Quote
[Quote="reedholden"]
photo

Lynskey Bootleg

I have so much fun on my Lynskey. I don't get the long hardtail thing. They don't manual and are more difficult to bunnyhop. Riding them is boring in comparison....you just sit in the middle and go down. With a tighter wheelbase, you move back and forwards over the wheels that allows you to be much more creative in how you ride the trail.

I also agree with the person who said they were getting bored with the newer geo with a straight line from the headtube to the rear axle. I used to think it was of benefit but in all honesty, where the seat sits when pushed down has more to do with clearance for cornering than does the height of the top tube.

In any case, sorry it isn't the best quality photo. Blackberry cameras suck it seems, as do my phone photography skills.[/Quote

Hahaha this is funny.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
I’m about 6’1 and have spent a lot of time on 460mm, 478mm, and 488mm reach bikes, with varying stem lengths on each. Long bikes do a lot of things undeniably better and are definitely faster and safer, but can’t beat the shorter one for pure fun. For a ‘one bike’, 475mm with a 50mm stem seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Recently I’ve gone back to 50mm stems after using 31-40mm for the last few years. Seems like I can keep the front wheel weighted a bit better.

For a hardtail I figure I wouldn’t be going very fast either way, might as well have something shorter that’s even more fun!

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
I'm 6', I've got two hardtails, one with 470mm of reach, 160mm of travel and a 64* hta, and another with 450mm of reach, 130mm of travel, and a 67*hta . The shorter bike makes tame trails more fun, but gets out of it's depth quickly. The longer one might be a little more cumbersome on mellow trails, but it 10x more fun on gnarly and fast trails. If I had to go with one it would be longer bike all day.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
+1 with what you say Buggy!

O+
Posted: May 12, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
For sure. Horses for courses. For me, a hardtail is a secondary whip that I would get specifically to make tamer trails fun, so shorter just makes sense. But if it’s your only bike then I get running more extreme geo.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
charnek wrote:
MonkeyPuzzle wrote:

Helmets aren't designed for being cleaned out by a car doing 50mph. More interesting are the studies suggesting you're more likely to be hit by a car if you're wearing a helmet (perceived safety) than if you're not (perceived vulnerability = more care taken). Also, wherever has brought in compulsory helmet laws has seen it a drop in people cycling, and the less people cycling on the roads the likelihood of being hit per cycle journey increases. This is most likely because motorists are less familiar with how to drive around cyclists safely.

In town, I'll wear a helmet as I'm worried about falling over in my clips or having a pedestrian walk out on me, but never on open roads.

I can attest to this. Riding in LA I had fewer close calls and was given noticeably more space without a helmet. Always made the decision to wear one or not pretty tough.

^ I kind of agree with this. I don't use a helmet to protect myself from cars but I'm riding through the city on low-risk, well lighted routes. White&red light on the bike is a must. I always use a helmet when I ride in the wildness...

I don’t wear a helmet to make drivers give me more room, I wear it in case I’m not seen and am taken out. I’ve had a helmet save my life when I got taken out by a car travelling at probably 30mph, dented his bonnet with my head.

I would be dead or a vegetable without a helmet, would I risk that for a bit more space?

Wear a lid people.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 22:29 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
I'm 6', I've got two hardtails, one with 470mm of reach, 160mm of travel and a 64* hta, and another with 450mm of reach, 130mm of travel, and a 67*hta . The shorter bike makes tame trails more fun, but gets out of it's depth quickly. The longer one might be a little more cumbersome on mellow trails, but it 10x more fun on gnarly and fast trails. If I had to go with one it would be longer bike all day.

My Krampus klunker is 440 and Murmur full bouncer is 515 long and slack. Both very different and both very fun. I get both sides of the argument but would take progressive geo as it climbs and descends better.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 22:33 Quote
I would be dead or a vegetable without a helmet, would I risk that for a bit more space?

Wear a lid people.[/Quote]

A colleague of mine (roadie) came off on ice, hit his head, wasn't wearing a helmet, was in a coma for four years and died.

I always wear a lid.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 1:26 Quote
Personal narratives are not good arguments against the statistics. I hope you guys will not take it personally Razz

O+
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
Stats are open to interpretation - while helmet wearing may not make the larger sample (all cyclists) significantly safer, if you’re wearing one when you take a hit, it does, almost 100% of the time. You can pick your stats...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030478
Mobile Version of Website