The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 1:47 Quote
Exactly. But this is a subjective decision that shouldn't become mandatory by law. You can wear the helmet without the law, after all... or should be mandatory only for children, as they are not legaly responsible...

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 1:49 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
Personal narratives are not good arguments against the statistics. I hope you guys will not take it personally Razz

pretty much every study done shows a helmet significantly improves your chance of surviving a crash with a motor vehicle Book

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 2:11 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
Exactly. But this is a subjective decision that shouldn't become mandatory by law. You can wear the helmet without the law, after all... or should be mandatory only for children, as they are not legaly responsible...

If you live anywhere with public health care, you're not entirely responsible either, so is it still 100% your choice?

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 2:22 Quote
heinous wrote:
RedOctober wrote:

If you live anywhere with public health care, you're not entirely responsible either, so is it still 100% your choice?

If it is such a choice, I can choose not to ride a bicycle and go to work by car, as almost half of potential cyclists do in the cities where the helmet is mandatory. By the way, the most effective methods of avoiding cyclist-driver incidents are bike lines and a much stricter drinking control; maybe we should forbid the alcohol again... Wink ... anyway, returning to the initial point, I think cycling without lights on is one of the most dangerous things you can do as a cyclist, much more dangerous than riding helmetless...

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 3:19 Quote
Bigblob123 wrote:
RedOctober wrote:
Personal narratives are not good arguments against the statistics. I hope you guys will not take it personally Razz

pretty much every study done shows a helmet significantly improves your chance of surviving a crash with a motor vehicle Book

And they would show that to be the case for pedestrians and car passengers as well, but no one is advocating for forcing those groups to wear a helmet. Car passengers are actually slightly more likely to receive a head injury per mile travelled than cyclists, but again, no campaign for wearing helmets in cars.

Wherever compulsory helmet laws have been introduced, rates of cycling of dropped. Cyclists are on average likely to take less days off work, and be generally fitter and less of a burden on the state than non-cyclists. Bigger picture.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 3:24 Quote
This is a good article: https://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/the-bike-helmet-paradox

But, yay, hardtails, right!

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 3:52 Quote
Cars have airbags and a load of other safety features. Pedestrians are usually on walkways. Also, the simple fact that you are on a bike is a danger in itself. You can still fall off with no cars near you. Seems to me many people are making excuses to not wear a helmet so they dont mess up their hair Confused

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 4:13 Quote
I never used to wear a helmet round town until about a year ago. Cars are hard, move fast and I am not in control of them. I definitely feel more vulnerable on the road than I do on a trail. I got knocked off by an oncoming car turning across me last week which just kinda underlines that.
I don't think it should be mandatory though. Infrastructure to make cycling more accessible and safe (separate cycle lanes etc) is more important. Idiot drivers are the main problem and if we can't stop them being idiots we need cycle lanes.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 4:39 Quote
Bigblob123 wrote:
Cars have airbags and a load of other safety features. Pedestrians are usually on walkways. Also, the simple fact that you are on a bike is a danger in itself. You can still fall off with no cars near you. Seems to me many people are making excuses to not wear a helmet so they dont mess up their hair Confused

And the point still stands that car passengers are more likely to receive head injuries than cyclists. The severity would be reduced in either case by wearing a helmet, but we only push for cyclists to wear them.

I'll ignore the unnecessary nonsense about hair, but this probably needs its own thread at this point.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 4:41 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
I never used to wear a helmet round town until about a year ago. Cars are hard, move fast and I am not in control of them. I definitely feel more vulnerable on the road than I do on a trail. I got knocked off by an oncoming car turning across me last week which just kinda underlines that.
I don't think it should be mandatory though. Infrastructure to make cycling more accessible and safe (separate cycle lanes etc) is more important. Idiot drivers are the main problem and if we can't stop them being idiots we need cycle lanes.

This. It's not the car who hit you, it's the driver. And when he hit you with his car, 99% is not an accident. An accident mean the car fell apart, a tyre exploded, etc., something beyond his control. Education and infrastructure are the big problem here, IMO, the helmet is part of the equation but not the only one.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
Cyclists who choose not to wear a helmet on busy roads are irresponsible.

I am all for more cycle routes though, some places are so bad for cycling it’s insane. Coming from the town I grew up in which had a large cycling community with no infrastructure to an area where the infrastructure is good and full of walk/bike only areas it’s fantastic.

It’s no longer a case of ‘do I brave the A-Road or the windy back road full of racers to get to work’ and now a case of having half a dozen fast safe routes or another half a dozen longer scenic routes.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
All I want to know is why the f*ck would anyone want to ride their bike on a road.... next to cars.....

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
mayo-22 wrote:

Haha, I drive up that hill once a year for motorsport in the UK, its gnarly as hell...

If anyone is interested there are some videos of the hill here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_If4qdBa38&list=PLONsq_gV7pbLNoQqYGJc9vJYmkw3j72Ek

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026951
Mobile Version of Website