The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 5:25 Quote
Lifted from front page.

Sage Flow Motion

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
metaam wrote:
Lifted from front page.

Sage Flow Motion

There are those down tube cables / hoses again.... (i'm not a fan).

I would rather drop the coin on a Ti Chromag.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:00 Quote
fartymarty wrote:

Agreed on the cable routing, but I'm not a big fan of bent top tubes, so if I was going Ti it would probably be the Vendetta or Corsair.
Something I love about this thread is we all have our own pet hates when it comes to frame/component design. There's not really any right or wrong to it, just boils down to opinion, and that's what keeps this thread interesting for me.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:04 Quote
I was going to mention Kingdom as it looks sweet but like Chromag as a company - enough to overlook the bent TT.

It is a pleasure to be on a thread with Hardtails finest critics.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
Something else that's been commented on the home page about the Sage that I didn't notice, is the exposed cable under the chainstay. Why would you do that? Just asking for shifting issues.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:19 Quote
metaam wrote:
Something else that's been commented on the home page about the Sage that I didn't notice, is the exposed cable under the chainstay. Why would you do that? Just asking for shifting issues.

I would never run an exposed cable. I even got rid of them off my kids bikes. It's just a bad idea especially in the area that collects the most crap.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
I personally couldn't give a hoot about that lower cable routing as I guess I don't ride huge log-overs etc. and basically never smash my downtube. Looks so clean. I am curious what the kink in the seat tube is for, though as that rear tire is miles from it

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
JesseE wrote:
I personally couldn't give a hoot about that lower cable routing as I guess I don't ride huge log-overs etc. and basically never smash my downtube. Looks so clean. I am curious what the kink in the seat tube is for, though as that rear tire is miles from it

I'm guessing its for the 29 x 2.2(?) rear tyre.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
jkelm wrote:
Rookie hardtail question...if you were to buy a budget hardtail frame what would you go with? CRC has some great deals on AL frames. Or would you spend a little more and go steel? 27.5 preferred. This will be my first time building up a hardtail. Not looking to spend a lot, just looking for a winter bike and occasional dirt jumper.
PP Shan - good geo and the chainstays flex (Not In a bad way) so chunky stuff isnt that bad.
The frame itself isnt that expensive- I would buy one again (but currently extremely happy with my Switch9er)

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
JesseE wrote:

I'm guessing its for the 29 x 2.2(?) rear tyre.

That's a tonne of clearance for pinner tires, unless that's a 27.5 in the frame and I don't know what I'm looking at.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
I would never run an exposed cable. I even got rid of them off my kids bikes. It's just a bad idea especially in the area that collects the most crap.
Kinda hope that for $3400 you get the option to spec alternative cable routing, as whilst I wouldn't be overly worried about impacts damaging it (have the same routing on my fully), unsheathed cable in that location seems a terrible idea, at least in the UK.
The IS brake mount at the back also seems a bit odd? Maybe I'm being picky, but IMO PM looks cleaner, and IIRC cutting PM for IS was one of the things Kingdom did to reduce the price of the Vendetta X2 as compared to the "full" version, as was the change from tapered HT to straight 44mm.
I f'ing love Ti, but if I was spending that sort of cash on a frame it definitely wouldn't be from Sage.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
metaam wrote:
fartymarty wrote:

Agreed on the cable routing, but I'm not a big fan of bent top tubes, so if I was going Ti it would probably be the Vendetta or Corsair.
Something I love about this thread is we all have our own pet hates when it comes to frame/component design. There's not really any right or wrong to it, just boils down to opinion, and that's what keeps this thread interesting for me.

I like the straight top tube better as well. The Super low top tube is not really that helpful when actually riding. I would much rather have the second water bottle than a curvy or low TT. I can ride over two hours without carrying anything on my back even on the hottest of days. Also, 3000 for a Taiwanese made frame? Go get a Naked bike or something else for that coin.

As for the cable routing, I think each frame needs its own solution. The break in housing at the rear chainstay is ridiculous though. Also, who bashes their downtube into logs? That is just poor technique. Cables underneath the downtube shouldn't really come into contact with anything as the chainring would hit first.

I haven't looked at sage frames before, made in Oregon is good but the close ups of their welds did not overwhelm. Any chance of better close ups of the details on this one?

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
Pics are from the article on the front page. You can see some closer detail on a few of the ones on their website, but they're part of an embedded slideshow thing so can't easily grab them: https://sagetitanium.com/products/flow-motion-hardtail/
Still have the sketchy open cable run between BB and der, and it's the same on the gravel and road frames.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
It’s very simple in my mind, don’t put cables anywhere on the bottom of a bike. Down tube, chain stay or under the bottom bracket. This kind of routing was popular and around 2010-12. Manufacturers got smart after complaints and stopped putting them under bikes. Now it seems multiple companies have gone back to under the bike cables. Even on full squish bikes meant for rowdy rocky terrain. I just don’t get it.

Bike man 1 - Let’s design a cool new bike!
Bike man 2 - That new design looks great, people will love the look!
Bike man 2 - Oh wait... well It does look good but you forgot about the cables.
Bike man 1 - Aaaah...yeah... aaaah... we’ll just put them under the bike, they’ll be fine.
Bike man 2 - Won’t they be subjected to rock hits and shuttle damage under there?
Bike man 1 - Maybe but I can’t re-design the whole bike!
Bike man 2 - Ok, I guess we’ll just roll the dice and count the profits.
Bike man 1 - Yeah, she sure looks sick. High five!
***Both bike men head out for a burger and craft beer lunch.***

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
moots headbage also looks way cooler than the sage one

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026169
Mobile Version of Website