The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
RedOctober wrote:

This is one of my the top 3 bikes from this year... if he wouldn't been complicated the front with that cockpit, it would have been number one, for me...

I would have lost the tan walls and replaced the tan Ltd with a black one (or dark grey). Love the oddity bar but would have gone a Ti oddmone rather than the razorbar. Also black stem.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 9:07 Quote
JesseE wrote:
slaker wrote:
I wouldn't ride it at all., I only ride gravel to get to the trail.

I don't get the gravel trend. Seems like even more annoying road riding. I know some dudes that can hang on gravel bikes on real trails, but that doesn't mean I'll ever get it. No way it's more "fun" on dropbars with shit brakes, and riding flat gravely dustry roads on a bike doesn't seem like more fun than riding on trails.

I ride it all. I haven’t driven a vehicle to the trailhead in several years. There are some awesome backcountry roads with amazing scenery and in the winter you can put some miles in your legs. It’s fun. Love trail riding.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
stefanroussev wrote:
JesseE wrote:
slaker wrote:

I don't get the gravel trend. Seems like even more annoying road riding. I know some dudes that can hang on gravel bikes on real trails, but that doesn't mean I'll ever get it. No way it's more "fun" on dropbars with shit brakes, and riding flat gravely dustry roads on a bike doesn't seem like more fun than riding on trails.

I ride it all. I haven’t pedal to the trailhead in several years. There are some awesome backcountry roads with amazing scenery and in the winter you can put some miles in your legs. It’s fun. Love trail riding.

I have way less than time than I'd like for bicycles, I just don't wanna give up trail time for road-esqu time. In the winter I go out for more scenic exploratory kms aboard a bike, that's enough for me. I actually prefer not having my ass on a bike seat when out in nature there is nothing shreddly going on, so if I can't MTB I like hiking.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
pvd666 wrote:
All mountain gravel

http://www.peterverdone.com/bi-planes-are-the-future/
http://www.peterverdone.com/airspeeder/

Why in the actual f*ck do you think these belong in this thread? I mean i knew you were delusional, but come on.

When I saw that thing I had to scroll back up and make sure I was in the right thread.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
JesseE wrote:
stefanroussev wrote:
JesseE wrote:

I ride it all. I haven’t pedal to the trailhead in several years. There are some awesome backcountry roads with amazing scenery and in the winter you can put some miles in your legs. It’s fun. Love trail riding.

I have way less than time than I'd like for bicycles, I just don't wanna give up trail time for road-esqu time. In the winter I go out for more scenic exploratory kms aboard a bike, that's enough for me. I actually prefer not having my ass on a bike seat when out in nature there is nothing shreddly going on, so if I can't MTB I like hiking.
If I was still in my 20s single with no kids and rode 4-5 times a week I would totally throw in a gravel day. No way in hell im giving up my 1-2 days a week of riding to ride fire roads.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
I guess after having technically maxed out DH, Enduro and Fatbikes on a broad market there has been a lust for more simple and purist bikes for what many people do: xc/trail biking for fun or maybe roadlike bikes on light offroad. Just another brand for a kind of biking that has been there eversince.
Don't mean to say that everyone has tried or has bought a bike of every genre to become a buyer of a gravel bike but there now seems to be a bike on the market for every possible purpose or preference... maybe in the end people will see that a fun AM mtb with 2.2 to 2.6 wide tires, will do most of the gravel and partial street and trail riding one can do, not needing one of the lots of different sub genre bikes one might have bought in between.
Preferences and terrains differ but fact is that one doesn't need a so called gravel bikes to ride gravel. Not complaining about people wanting different tools for the job, just about the needing.. my 2 cents

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Yeah, but it's not just gravel, it's all mountain gravel.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
stefanroussev wrote:
JesseE wrote:
slaker wrote:

I ride it all. I haven’t driven a vehicle to the trailhead in several years. There are some awesome backcountry roads with amazing scenery and in the winter you can put some miles in your legs. It’s fun. Love trail riding.
20 Years ago when I was racing xc I would do anything to get more saddle time,Nowadays I still get 15 to 20 hours a week in but it is all for the purpose of getting to and riding the trail, Its not unusual for my rides to have 3.5 to 5 hours of climbing gravel roads and jeep roads to get to my favorite descents but its always for the reward of an 1.5 to 2 hour downhill that a gravel bike would be a mess on......Ive gotten to the point to where I don't enjoy riding a bike unless it involves extremely fun and gnarly terrain. Maryjane breaks 'recreational use" make the long climbs a little more entertaining.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:26 Quote
I really dig gravel (well off-road / dirt road) and do a fair bit. If you live in the right place and have the right bike, it’s great, and definitely helps riding big bikes.

Grinduro etc are good examples. 70kph descending on nasty gravel roads takes a load of skill and passing guys on technical singletrack is great. Brakes are great, you just have less traction.

I guess it’s a bit like SS: not for everyone, and that’s cool.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
I live in Utah and we have 5 National Parks and then some and a lot of dirt smooth roads. The landscape is out of this world with hundreds and hundreds of miles on dirt. I ride mostly a Plus size hardtail and is good for everything. That's on top of the trail riding we have here. Great place to be if you like riding 2 wheels.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 17:46 Quote
nothing wrong with a gravel bike for exploration.... but there is everything wrong with a gravel bike on this thread.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
I feel like my creations would be relevant here if dropbars weren't for nerds.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
sherbet wrote:
I feel like my creations would be relevant here if dropbars weren't for nerds.

its not that they are for nerds. that one in particular just gave me cancer.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 19:19 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
nothing wrong with a gravel bike for exploration.... but there is everything wrong with a gravel bike on this thread.

++++++++++

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

LOL. PVD is being a jackass. He knows the rules.Probably just wanted to get a reaction because he got some heat last time around or is just networking.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018439
Mobile Version of Website