The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
fartymarty wrote:
RSD Middlechild Ti
RSD Middlechild Ti

Nice build Jesse.

Damn straight

Super nice!
Only complaint I have is the cranks were not level for the picture.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 17:20 Quote
stefanroussev wrote:
Nice bike Jesse.
thanks man!

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
Just had my first ride. The bike obviously feels very much like my old middlechild steel, but shines in sneaky ways. The lighter frame and probably the oval ring had me zipping up, especially on seated climbs. Then I found stuff, it feels so springy/poppy. Such a ripper, and love that I can treat it like shit without consequence haha.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Awesome, it looks great.

How good are oval rings on HT's? I'd run them on my full suss if they didn't mess with the suspension so much.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
heinous wrote:
Awesome, it looks great.

How good are oval rings on HT's? I'd run them on my full suss if they didn't mess with the suspension so much.

I really think they might actually do something, haha. The feel so round, it's weird. That said, I swear I could feel the difference in the engagement, but it might just be that I came off my other bike running Chris Kings (better engagement). Wish I could have done a better back to back ride steel to ti - too many variables and bikes in between.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
RSD Middlechild Ti
RSD Middlechild Ti

Nice build Jesse.

I like the build very much. The oval ring, although a piece of sophisticated technology, introduces a transience atmosphere which help the build in a subtle way. The dark atmosphere too... She's probably going to be a contender, but some quality pictures that clearly show the beauty of this bike are mandatory ...

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 22:43 Quote
wrote:
Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback from this crowd. It's pretty fancy, although I'd love it if I had had it all new like back when I built my rootdown - but that is a top-tier-first-world-problem. I'm a bit pissed at the LBS for ignoring my note about cutting the steertube as I have no time for that now and there's a few little things here & there that irk me, but overall I love the vibe of the build. Putting bikes together is an art (and fuggin pricy at times) and what I realize is that once I've finished a project I can't really look at it objectively anymore haha. Can't wait to ride it, though. It's 2lbs lighter than my steel bike and from what I hear feels wicked-er than the steel. It's not all classic ti grey, but regardless, I'm stoked I never have to worry about rust on this thing as it'll be riding year round.

Bikes!!

I really like that it's black. While plain ti is nice it is a bit blingy. This is understated and way cooler.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
heinous wrote:
Awesome, it looks great.

I've ridden both and am just about to put an oval back on my Krampus after being on rounds for a while (will still keep round on my Murmur).

They are good if you like to stomp your way up a hill as they get you through the dead spot quicker. You will need to go down in tooth count from a round the as the 32 oval I had was equivalent to a 34 round.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 23:21 Quote
I didn’t find that. I stayed same size on a range of bikes and while larger at top the efficiency seems to offset the additional size. This is mainly on SS hardtails. On full suss I would actually go up at least two teeth to offset the massive compromise in suspension performance at the low spots.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
I've gone oval on several bikes (1 HT and 2 FS*). I've kept them the same size as the round rings I replaced. Definitely notice the difference on climbs, the oval ring just feels easier to push, but I can't say I've noticed any difference at all on suspension performance on the FS* bikes, maybe it's down to how much anti squat the frame has.
* Apologies for using dirty words on this thread

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
It’s there - more noticeable on longer travel. If you look at some of the recent suspension articles you’ll see comparative graphing of 32 and 30t set ups.

If you extrapolate that to 26 or so you can see how much it impacts performance of suspension. It was very noticeable on my bikes, so I ended up staying with a round ring for now.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 2:43 Quote
Nordest Lacrau
Nordest Lacrau

This one maybe a little premature but has the potential to be a really sweet build....

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 2:46 Quote
ouuhh...I'd love to try that.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
Looking gooood except the top to seat tube area.
;(

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 4:33 Quote
Yeah, I see the potential lol lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027056
Mobile Version of Website