The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Author Message
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
I ride on 27.5x2.8 plus Maxxis tires by choice and am very pleased with that. For a hardtail all around riding for me is the best choice. Rolling resistance on dirt is great and I don’t feel that it slows me down a lot, hardly any in fact. The comfort that they bring can not be matched by ANY hardtail frame made by far... My 2 cents. Smile

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
stefanroussev wrote:
I ride on 27.5x2.8 plus Maxxis tires by choice and am very pleased with that. For a hardtail all around riding for me is the best choice. Rolling resistance on dirt is great and I don’t feel that it slows me down a lot, hardly any in fact. The comfort that they bring can not be matched by ANY hardtail frame made by far... My 2 cents. Smile

I have to agree with you on most of this. I had a Sonder Transmitter frame (alloy) for a while and ran it on standard tyres whilst I made my mind up and ordered some plus tyres. It was horrific! I eventually received some 2.8" Nobby Nics which transformed this boneshaker in to a very comfortable bike. The drag from the 2.8's over the 2.35's that I previously used wasn't at all noticeable! WHat I did notice was the incredible climbing traction from the big tyre!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
True however how on earth did you measure that 2” of undamped suss due to plus tyres?

;-d

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
True however how on earth did you measure that 2” of undamped suss due to plus tyres?

;-d

The height of the tire itself mounted and inflated.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 13:22 Quote
Not that you actually use all of the tyres height though trying unless you’re running near flat

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 14:28 Quote
You hope not because that’s bottom out. Just like suspension you have total travel that you want to use as close as possible but not bottoming out.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
Suspension is supposed to bottom out occasionally.

Tyres are different, especially plus. They’re an undamped spring and as they get bigger they get more linear, so easier to bottom rather than harder. That’s part of why I found racing a plus hardtail so exhausting - the feedback and undamped motion is exhausting. In my experience, plus bikes are good for slow, low traction environments and totally rubbish for riding at speed, aggressively.

Cushcore probably helps plus a lot.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Electronic device on stem ruins it.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
Yeah but that bike is dreamy. I usually don't care for matchy everything but Im loving all that red on that bike and those Michelin's .

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:10 Quote
heinous wrote:
Suspension is supposed to bottom out occasionally.

Tyres are different, especially plus. They’re an undamped spring and as they get bigger they get more linear, so easier to bottom rather than harder. That’s part of why I found racing a plus hardtail so exhausting - the feedback and undamped motion is exhausting. In my experience, plus bikes are good for slow, low traction environments and totally rubbish for riding at speed, aggressively.

Cushcore probably helps plus a lot.

Each to his own. If you race very hard terrain and going full tilt then a plus size is probably not warranted but for every day riding the plus size is great for me, and if there is some very chunky terrain I feather the speed a touch and ride light and all I have lost is just a fraction of time and for 99% of my riding I am just smiling.

Can’t stand bottoming out the suspension. It feels like I am breaking something in there so I run it a touch firmer.

I am saying all that in good spirit.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
I hear you - it's your bike and your ride!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 23:25 Quote
heinous wrote:
I hear you - it's your bike and your ride!

My 2 pence worth...

If you are plus curious Bonty 29x2.6 SE5s are worth a try. Not too big, not too little and work well on a HT for aggressive riding.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 2:17 Quote
I found that too Heinous with + tyres.

And yeah Shred 2.6” decent strong tyres would be well worthy of trying on a plus frame plus get improved mud clearance.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025229
Mobile Version of Website