The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
RedOctober wrote:
Speaking of brilliant minds, let me present you a recent post of Peter Verdone ... it is about imperfection and wabi-sabi .. I take it as a kind of redemption from his part, and a very good description of what we are doing here...

http://www.peterverdone.com/wabi-sabi/

Klunker appeal is real for me. Fixie love ever growing. Timeless, effortless, minimalistic joy. Purity of form & everything beautiful in-between

Unfortunately , the simplicities of hardtails are largely lost in this sexy thread (no bad thing though), sexy is a bit limiting when it comes to passion & love.. let's remember it's "enduro mountain sexy" here, so we're leaving true love outside in the cold (ok, maybe it's just me thinking this lol)

BUT it's the place where we can agree(!) on where we 'may' like to see the future of hardtails heading? I prefer the after ride banter but online has it's place, some brilliant minds reside right here, fresh & new , old & tired!! lol good people .. good times

..but I digress..

No amount of good kit can save a bad frame, no paintjob can revive tired geometry ..you know the rest

Anyway, peace out! Hardtail love forever

Going for a ride .. on a gate

Well said Soup. Interesting read from PVD. Thanks for the link Red.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
charnek wrote:
RedOctober wrote:

This Prova is gonna be hard to beat for HTOTY

It's won it already imo lol

Yeah, it's over LOL

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
JonDud wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
charnek wrote:

This Prova is gonna be hard to beat for HTOTY

It's won it already imo lol

Yeah, it's over LOL

It isn't for me. Personally I am kind meh about that bike. There are a lot of bikes posted recently I think look a lot better.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
More pictures of the Blister BTR

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
[Quote="RedOctober"]
Based on looks alone, I'd take it over the ProvaWink Never been a fan of his super thin seat stays, but a seriously nice bike nonetheless. Could be the skinny stays are growing on me

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
Nice lines and bosses galore.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
[Quote="SilverCreek"]
RedOctober wrote:
Based on looks alone, I'd take it over the ProvaWink Never been a fan of his super thin seat stays, but a seriously nice bike nonetheless. Could be the skinny stays are growing on me
Ooh, I love me a pencil seat stay! That's a lovely looking bike.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:15 Quote
Ive aways liked @suravida 's work, would lobe to see how they ride. I'd have to be careful with those stays cause my bike gets away from me once in a while.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
Xtra classy that ^

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
How do I size a frame using numbers such as Reach, ETT and stack ?
I am custom building a Marino frame so I have to spec all the geo. I cannot decide on how to size it. I have a size large patrol with 475mm reach and it feels a little long when I run 800mm bars which is my usual set up. The size large transition scout is a smaller bike with 457mm reach. That felt just fine in size. My large transition TR500 DH bike have a much shorter reach or 450mm. So I have a span from 450mm to 475mm and all feel good. So how can I really make sure I get the rite fitting bike. Now add stack in to the mix and I'm confused. Any way, I want to build a DH hard tail so long, low , slack etc. This I my geo so far. I may shorten the seat tube and the reach and lengthen the wheel base a little. I am 5' 10'' and generally in-between a Med and Large bike so I siz
e up to get the extra stability of the longer wheel base.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 19:49 Quote
kwp2011 wrote:
I am custom building a Marino frame so I have to spec all the geo. I cannot decide on how to size it. I have a size large patrol with 475mm reach and it feels a little long when I run 800mm bars which is my usual set up. The size large transition scout is a smaller bike with 457mm reach. That felt just fine in size. My large transition TR500 DH bike have a much shorter reach or 450mm. So I have a span from 450mm to 475mm and all feel good. So how can I really make sure I get the rite fitting bike. Now add stack in to the mix and I'm confused. Any way, I want to build a DH hard tail so long, low , slack etc. This I my geo so far. I may shorten the seat tube and the reach and lengthen the wheel base a little. I am 5' 10'' and generally in-between a Med and Large bike so I size up to get the extra stability of the longer wheel base.

Careful comparing reach numbers from fullys to hardtails, Hardtails will ride with a dynamically longer reach, it's reach will increase with sag, since it only sags up front. so if 475 feels too long on your fully, then I would go a little shorter.

For reference I also have a large patrol, my hardtail has ~470mm reach and feels noticeably longer than the patrol.

Edit: also be aware that seat angle runs steeper on HT's vesus fullys, just noticed that your chart has 76 degree angle, which some may like, but if your goal is to have it ride like your patrol you may want slacker. My HT has a 74degree STA and it doesn't feel much slacker, if at all, than the Patrol at 76.6. Plus theres the whole effective STA versus actual but that is a whole other thing....

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
kwp2011 wrote:
I am custom building a Marino frame so I have to spec all the geo. I cannot decide on how to size it. I have a size large patrol with 475mm reach and it feels a little long when I run 800mm bars which is my usual set up. The size large transition scout is a smaller bike with 457mm reach. That felt just fine in size. My large transition TR500 DH bike have a much shorter reach or 450mm. So I have a span from 450mm to 475mm and all feel good. So how can I really make sure I get the rite fitting bike. Now add stack in to the mix and I'm confused. Any way, I want to build a DH hard tail so long, low , slack etc. This I my geo so far. I may shorten the seat tube and the reach and lengthen the wheel base a little. I am 5' 10'' and generally in-between a Med and Large bike so I siz
e up to get the extra stability of the longer wheel base.

I can’t help you with your exact numbers as I’m not your size, but I love the geometry on my Bird Zero. Here is the data sheet for reference.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021105
Mobile Version of Website