Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
I love the Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 22:48 Quote
I use to love this knolly free radical. Not sure it was ever made for production

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 0:43 Quote
kwp2011 wrote:
How do I size a frame using numbers such as Reach, ETT and stack ?
I am custom building a Marino frame so I have to spec all the geo. I cannot decide on how to size it. I have a size large patrol with 475mm reach and it feels a little long when I run 800mm bars which is my usual set up. The size large transition scout is a smaller bike with 457mm reach. That felt just fine in size. My large transition TR500 DH bike have a much shorter reach or 450mm. So I have a span from 450mm to 475mm and all feel good. So how can I really make sure I get the rite fitting bike. Now add stack in to the mix and I'm confused. Any way, I want to build a DH hard tail so long, low , slack etc. This I my geo so far. I may shorten the seat tube and the reach and lengthen the wheel base a little. I am 5' 10'' and generally in-between a Med and Large bike so I siz
e up to get the extra stability of the longer wheel base.

If you're purely going for a DH hardtail I'd slacken the ST angle (a lot). If you plan on riding it uphill making the ST angle steeper is a good idea. Depending on fork travel/sag a static 76° ST will ride much steeper than the 76.6° on the patrol, as buggy pointed out.

My hardtail has about 30mm less reach than my full sus bike and they feel pretty similar.

Looks like you want a 29er and 160mm travel, right?
Did you ride a hardtail with this much travel before? If you plan on using all of the available travel the geo will change a lot at full compression. That's worth considering. Some people are fine with that. Some are not and go for shorter travel forks.
Check this article for reference: https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-btr-ranger-27-5

not my bike - photo credit David Golay Blister

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 0:48 Quote
Wise words ^

Take your time getting it right.

'Super slack is often whack'

Easy to end up with a "one-trick" pony that you will barely enjoy riding

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 2:08 Quote
If you want to know how your hardtail will look in a dynamic stance, read this

https://www.btr-fabrications.com/blog/sixty-one-degree/

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
Start with your position. Seat angle to get you over the bike. You'll want to sets of measurements - static and sagged.

If you're really uncertain, or haven't ridden a hardtail enough to be confident in what you want, try one of the many great and cheap options first.

As Red has posted in the BTR article, your hardtail essentially pivots around the fork. I've had a 160mm hardtail (Stanton) and it didn't ride anywhere near as confidently as my 120mm forked BTR that's got a steeper static HA but is loads slacker at bottom out.

Most stuff is personal after that. I find slacker seat angles better on hardtails as you're moving around and want to be able to distribute weight quite differently. I set my sagged reach at the same as my big bike which came in very close to my other custom XCSS that was built ten years ago in the Reach+ number.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
I would agree that the frame on that Ti Prova is beyond anything. However the build is too 'Sram' and too unimaginative for me.

Let's not forget it's about the whole package.

I begrudgingly second this. The frame is utterly stunning and even forgive the under DT cable routing, but the silver Pike and full SRAM set up doesn't do it proper justice in my humble opinion.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
yamahawarrior wrote:
I love the Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Those fox36 are by far the hottest fork on the market if you ask me.

Pretty cool bike, too.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
yamahawarrior wrote:
I use to love this knolly free radical. Not sure it was ever made for production

Never made it past prototype. Less the. Six created if I remember correct.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
I need Curtis inspiration for my tweaking build

Damn it mechanic - get my chain link shortened liiiiiike NOW!

Ffs

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 0:54 Quote
kwp2011 wrote:
How do I size a frame using numbers such as Reach, ETT and stack ?
I am custom building a Marino frame so I have to spec all the geo. I cannot decide on how to size it. I have a size large patrol with 475mm reach and it feels a little long when I run 800mm bars which is my usual set up. The size large transition scout is a smaller bike with 457mm reach. That felt just fine in size. My large transition TR500 DH bike have a much shorter reach or 450mm. So I have a span from 450mm to 475mm and all feel good. So how can I really make sure I get the rite fitting bike. Now add stack in to the mix and I'm confused. Any way, I want to build a DH hard tail so long, low , slack etc. This I my geo so far. I may shorten the seat tube and the reach and lengthen the wheel base a little. I am 5' 10'' and generally in-between a Med and Large bike so I siz
e up to get the extra stability of the longer wheel base.

IMHO you want longer CS with such a long front centre. Otherwise you may struggle to get enough weight on the front unless you are riding super steep all the time.

Also 61.5 is pretty damn slack in anyones book, This would be slacker than almost every HT I can think of.

Also also, it's easier to make a bike shorter rather than longer.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 2:10 Quote
Well, there are bikes with 61 HA around here... I've never been on a Belter but I would be curious to hear someone's opinion, someone who really used the bike on downhill tracks...

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 3:09 Quote
I guess with fork compression that 61 degrees gets steeper quickly... but damn that is still slaaaaaack. My Murmur is at 64.5 and that is fine for me.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
Where’s Wythall when I need him!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022318
Mobile Version of Website