The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
JesseE wrote:
I
wythall1 wrote:
wilkij1975 wrote:

Yeah I looked at the figures for that and it looks too long for me. This fit fine for length and reach it’s just got a short seat tube so looks a touch too small for me.

My '18 gen5 was a large, but is now somewhere between the medium and large in the 2020 range. My friend rode a Large at Steel is Real, they are enormous!

I definitely don't think huge bikes are for every trail. Lately I've been thinking that my trails suit a bike that goes up like an MTB and down like a dirt jumper, haha. There's just a very different way to ride my flowing, poppy, smooth-ish, valley trails with all their short punchy up and downs compared to mountain rides with longer drawn out climbs and steeper faster lumpier descents. I'd prefer the latter, but till then, I don't have any desire to super long local trails. 465 reach on my large hardtail feels super playful with short stays and bigger bikes don't add to the fun. If I moved I'd want something different, most-likely .

Kinda on this topic I need to design a new bike for riding with my kids. Riding will be equal parts pumptrack / BMX track and simple trails. I don't want a DJ bike...but realize that a DJ bike geo is going to be more suited to playing at the track.

Suggestions on geo to kinda copy? For my actual riding I am a firm believer in the moderns slack, low, n long 29'er...but it's not the right tool for the type of riding.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
I
wythall1 wrote:

My '18 gen5 was a large, but is now somewhere between the medium and large in the 2020 range. My friend rode a Large at Steel is Real, they are enormous!

I definitely don't think huge bikes are for every trail. Lately I've been thinking that my trails suit a bike that goes up like an MTB and down like a dirt jumper, haha. There's just a very different way to ride my flowing, poppy, smooth-ish, valley trails with all their short punchy up and downs compared to mountain rides with longer drawn out climbs and steeper faster lumpier descents. I'd prefer the latter, but till then, I don't have any desire to super long local trails. 465 reach on my large hardtail feels super playful with short stays and bigger bikes don't add to the fun. If I moved I'd want something different, most-likely .

Kinda on this topic I need to design a new bike for riding with my kids. Riding will be equal parts pumptrack / BMX track and simple trails. I don't want a DJ bike...but realize that a DJ bike geo is going to be more suited to playing at the track.

Suggestions on geo to kinda copy? For my actual riding I am a firm believer in the moderns slack, low, n long 29'er...but it's not the right tool for the type of riding.

My middle child has 2.6 27.5 tires which has it quite low and definitely enjoys a jump. It's long by 2016 standards, but is not huge by any means. Possibly sizing down on that would have bike that jumps super well, but won't feel out of control on a trail. Could even have a shorter fork on it and not have the bbh be too low. There's an alu one coming out that won't be too much $$$

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
not my style, but respect on that build.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 23:35 Quote
RedOctober wrote:

I'm really liking this, very clean, even the white colorway..

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
Got some serious rubber on that shan

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
I
wythall1 wrote:

Ever read the book Dialed by Lee McCormack? He has an interesting theory about how the reach is related to stack to create the "RAAD" degrees which has a huge impact on the feeling of a bike. Idk if I agree with everything he says, but it's a very interesting read non the less

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
Sweet rides. That privee is hangin out in heaven.

Anyone here actually like the look of those long fenders? I mean, if they function well then I see the purpose, but hot-dang they are fugly as a bug to me.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
JesseE wrote:

Anyone here actually like the look of those long fenders? I mean, if they function well then I see the purpose, but hot-dang they are fugly as a bug to me.

Unfortunately they seem to work over here ( Scotland) We are into the wet season here on the edge of the Cairngorms which will last with a bit of snow (hopefully) until June, when we get two glorious weeks...To be honest, I take them as such a given I didn’t think they detracted from the build, which was lush.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
JesseE wrote:

Could be worse:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/kurvyflats-mudguard-new-twist-on-flat-fender.html

To be honest the mudhugger fenders( I think that's what you are talking about) work really well for winter riding on the wet coast.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 21:14 Quote

I use a Mucky Nutz gut fender... it looks like shit but work flawless...

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 4:36 Quote
i wonder if pp will take on a slightly more modern geometry for next batches of frames? i really love the shan but 454 reach on the xl? i think it would be too cramped for my 6´1"
that blue kremer shan in front of the lake is a pure beauty. the 29" shan gt in white is also a stunner.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016427
Mobile Version of Website