The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Author Message
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
Sorry, which parts could be better? The chris king parts? Maybe the fox36??

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 6:17 Quote
Well, this seems more like a super expensive, super light, long travel XC-hardtail.

Not something I'd happily throw down some rocky chute.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Looks like a pretty smartly specced bike. Spent money on the parts they'll likely carry over, and the rest isn't top tier. No name carbon rims, not top of the line fork, previous generation drivetrain. It clearly wasn't a throw money at it build, but was thought out based on what the dude already owned and what they wanted to do for the next build.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 13:19 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Looks like a pretty smartly specced bike. Spent money on the parts they'll likely carry over, and the rest isn't top tier. No name carbon rims, not top of the line fork, previous generation drivetrain. It clearly wasn't a throw money at it build, but was thought out based on what the dude already owned and what they wanted to do for the next build.

CK hubs & headset plus Salsa clamp - dude's after my heart. That saddle steps on my soul, though.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
I hear they're a pretty decent saddle all things considered. Kinda low max weight, but whatever. Butts are personal, if he knows what he likes that's all that matters.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
Low max weight means low max force. Once you’ve seen someone have a testicle bear trapped by a split carbon saddle you’ll never put one on an mtb again.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
I have heard horror stories of these testicle bears and what they can do to a human. Damn bears anyhow.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
Should you put your trust in plastic base manganese rails instead? Not really seeing that as a stronger combo.

Shit breaks. A carbon saddle breaking doesn't speak for the whole series of saddles out there, just as a broken carbon frame doesn't represent all carbon frames. That's a Tune saddle. They're quality.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:08 Quote
heinous wrote:
Low max weight means low max force. Once you’ve seen someone have a testicle bear trapped by a split carbon saddle you’ll never put one on an mtb again.

Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
:
whattheheel wrote:
I have heard horror stories of these testicle bears and what they can do to a human. Damn bears anyhow.

lol lol

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:28 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Should you put your trust in plastic base manganese rails instead? Not really seeing that as a stronger combo.

Shit breaks. A carbon saddle breaking doesn't speak for the whole series of saddles out there, just as a broken carbon frame doesn't represent all carbon frames. That's a Tune saddle. They're quality.

I have that seat on my fat bike. It isnt going to break on fat bike trails and xc type races. I dont think it will break on trails and all mountain stuff either, but its not comfortable enough for me to run in the summer. Super light and nice looking for the race stuff though. Im happy with it

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Should you put your trust in plastic base manganese rails instead? Not really seeing that as a stronger combo.

Shit breaks. A carbon saddle breaking doesn't speak for the whole series of saddles out there, just as a broken carbon frame doesn't represent all carbon frames. That's a Tune saddle. They're quality.

You're forgetting the foam and leather/vinyl cover, and the fact strength is the problem - carbon shell saddles like that can't flex much so tend to fail. Manganese rails bend but rarely fail and plastic shells flex a whole load.

It's a spectrum, and saddles like the Berk are at the far end of it.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
i just wanna know how tf you guys are breaking saddles

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 18:16 Quote
sosburn wrote:
i just wanna know how tf you guys are breaking saddles

I'm with you on this. I'm 6', 210 lbs, not exactly light on the hoof, and I've never broken a saddle or felt as though I've ever come close to that situation.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014688
Mobile Version of Website