The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 4:38 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Ar4S wrote:
I am drooling about it for years, somehow the sa is to slack for me... but i would love to ride it.

It's just a number and there are ways too deal with it. If the bike rips, it rips.

This! Also, it's the last chance to buy a 27.5er from them...

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 6:26 Quote
pbuser87174 wrote:
zonoskar wrote:
Both bikes perfectly illustrate my point Smile You might disagree, but I don't like the look of the Intend fork in those bikes (and I think the first bike doesn't even belong in this thread at all).

I have to agree. That ti bike looks awful with those forks. Maybe it's the shiny frame and mat fork uppers. It looks like PVC compond plumbers pipe. :-)
I have had great results with it. I really enjoyed reading this thread and discussion by the people.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 7:06 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Ar4S wrote:
I am drooling about it for years, somehow the sa is to slack for me... but i would love to ride it.

It's just a number and there are ways too deal with it. If the bike rips, it rips.
Anyone here have experience with the 27.5 Bfe? I'm tempted as I don't find my Honzo ST very fun - it's somehow simultaneously too twitchy (steep HTA) and too stable (big wheels). I could fix the twitchiness with an angleset, but then it would become even more stable / less fun IMO.

So I'm considering a Bfe but can't decide which size I would get - large is recommended for me at a bit over 6', but with a 140 fork the reach is 469 static / 485 sagged, which seems long for a play bike. That's 6mm shorter reach than my Honzo, but the static HA is 2.5* slacker and chainstay is 11mm longer, which adds up to a ~34mm longer wheelbase. I'm worried this would translate to another overly stable ride, but I'm not sure if the smaller wheels will offset this as I haven't ridden a dual 27.5 in years.

A medium would have a reach of 447 static / 463 sagged which seems more appropriate for a hooning bike, the slack STA means the ETT should actually be about right, and the wheelbase would be similar to my Honzo but with smaller wheels. That said, the stack is a little low and I would lose some of the already short reach to spacers.

I'm definitely overthinking this - what does the hive mind say??

EDIT: I could also run a large as a mullet with a 120 29 fork, which would give the same geo as a 160 27.5 fork. That would shorten static reach from a 140 27.5 fork another ~10mm and reduce the "stapler effect". Downside being that it would slacken the STA and stretch the already long ETT out even further (can probably be offset by slamming seat forward though). Decisions, decisions...

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 9:03 Quote
Banan725135650 wrote:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Banan725135650/blog/video-hardtail-hucking.html

Hardtails are underrated. Check this out! Beer

Rad video, but some strange imagery Confused
Probably due to being in a different part of the world, but over here, white pointy hoods and torches isn't the sort of image you want to associate yourself with.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 9:25 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Banan725135650 wrote:

Probably due to being in a different part of the world, but over here, white pointy hoods and torches isn't the sort of image you want to associate yourself with.
^^^my exact thought...

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 9:48 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Banan725135650 wrote:

^^^my exact thought...

woah, yeah, what the heck!? I assume the visuals must have a different take away in Czech

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 11:11 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
scotteh wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

^^^my exact thought...

woah, yeah, what the heck!? I assume the visuals must have a different take away in Czech

I know it's a Catholic/religious thing in parts of Spain and Italy. Not sure about the rest of Europe, though (or what the context would be in a mtb video).

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 11:36 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Anyone here have experience with the 27.5 Bfe?

I'm considering a Bfe but can't decide which size I would get - what does the hive mind say??
Ok enough about the KKK, what do you guys say lol

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 11:42 Quote
scotteh wrote:
scotteh wrote:

I'm considering a Bfe but can't decide which size I would get - what does the hive mind say??

Folks across the pond are crazy, buy Canadian, hahahah

Honestly what's the argument for this vs a stylus (which is onsale)?

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 12:02 Quote

I would like to buy Canadian, but there are many reasons to avoid Chromag IMO. They have really short headtubes / stacks (sub-600 on a large), STA 1-2* steeper than I like for a hardtail, weirdly short seat tube insertions (only 277 for a 457 ST), apparently the Stylus has the ride quality of a brick, and I don't like the look of the curved top tube. Plus the Stylus and Wideangle frames are both sold out in M/L.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 12:47 Quote
scotteh wrote:

I would like to buy Canadian, but there are many reasons to avoid Chromag IMO. They have really short headtubes / stacks (sub-600 on a large), STA 1-2* steeper than I like for a hardtail, weirdly short seat tube insertions (only 277 for a 457 ST), apparently the Stylus has the ride quality of a brick, and I don't like the look of the curved top tube. Plus the Stylus and Wideangle frames are both sold out in M/L.

So it's really just the bent top tube, hahah.

I had a 2015 Chromag, last and only one I had, but it didn't feel brickish. Middle Child is an option too, maybe?

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 14:00 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Ar4S wrote:
I

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 14:15 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

^^^my exact thought...

And hopefully there forests are not as prone to wildfire as the western united states , Definitely sick video though.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 14:34 Quote
scotteh wrote:
scotteh wrote:

Stylus only a few L and XL frames left and sale ends tomorrow!

edit: I ordered a Wideangle frame, but they oversold the color I ordered and the alternative offered I wasn't into, so cancelled. I was also a bit concerned about stack and seat tube insertion as well, which made passing on that alternative color easier.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025703
Mobile Version of Website