Powered by Outside

The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: May 15, 2024 at 21:17 Quote
I dont find 75 degrees slack. Mamy hardtails have got absolut 74 or less. The switch9er are at 73, which Is great for pedaling Long distances, nur yeah, Not so much for seated climbing on steep Terrain. But again, we do Not all live in the alps or in BC Wink

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 21:24 Quote
I suspect its a killer bike. Would buy. Love the paint.

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 21:40 Quote
I suspect you are right...

75 degrees STA, 66 degrees HTA, 120mm of travel, relatively short reach and chainstay, they say it's a combination of BMX and trail bike with 29" wheels, certainly not for the steep...

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 22:34 Quote
i think this bike is going to work for the intended use case. but i'd still prefer a switchback over the sedona, because smaller wheels.

Posted: May 16, 2024 at 6:35 Quote
Ar4S wrote:
I dont find 75 degrees slack. Mamy hardtails have got absolut 74 or less. The switch9er are at 73, which Is great for pedaling Long distances, nur yeah, Not so much for seated climbing on steep Terrain. But again, we do Not all live in the alps or in BC Wink

That seat isn't 75 degrees in a billion years! The 75° is for sure the effective seat-tube angle not the actual one. If you look closely, the seat-tube is welded in front of the BB, the reason behind being the short CS without the seat-tube being bent. To make such short CS on a 29er, one option would have been a bent seat-tube or a very steep one but the latter would shorten the virtual top tube a lot and judging by the numbers, he wanted a long one, as it's the longest of all actual Stanton bikes.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2024 at 7:31 Quote
Same here. I don't mind a little slacker STA. Steeper is fine too, however I feel a little bit more efficient on flat sections with a slacker STA. Also agree with the benefit of added clearance with the seat up. With my steeper STA bikes, I find myself dropping the post for just about everything.
That being said, I wouldn't change the STA of my steeper bikes. It has it's benefits too.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2024 at 7:55 Quote
If you don't pedal slowly up fro ages just to drop the seat and ride down the benefits of a steep seat angle are kinda lost, unless you want a bike with longer reach. On an HT steeper seat angles feel more pronounced as you sag forward. I don't know how you get away with a slack seat angle if you have modern-ish reach numbers, though, unless you like be stretched out when seated (which I hate). That bike looks cool, but the geo looks kinda like my old honzo, which I'm not desperate to go back to.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2024 at 9:56 Quote
Very long arms.
I think that's why it works for me.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2024 at 13:57 Quote
On his YT vid he (Steve HP) checked the geometry and did say that the STA was definitely slacker than he'd requested, even for an all-rounder bike like this.

If it's the first prototype iteration, I'm sure there will be tweaks and the STA will probably go nearer 77-78 degrees, although how they handle the lower reach with the saddle further forward will be interesting...

Other than that, it definitely looks great, IMO.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2024 at 17:03 Quote
As a framebuilder I don't get how Stanton could mess up the SA as far off as he claims in the yt video. They will have a cad model, jig measurements and specific tube measurements. Set the jig and cut the tubes to their respective measurements and when you go to put the two together is one is off it won't fit. Some garage builder like myself might then fudge things if they don't have another tt on hand but Stanton would just scrap the TT and cut another one if it was off. Doesn't speak well to Stanton's capabilities.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2024 at 17:14 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
As a framebuilder I don't get how Stanton could mess up the SA as far off as he claims in the yt video. They will have a cad model, jig measurements and specific tube measurements. Set the jig and cut the tubes to their respective measurements and when you go to put the two together is one is off it won't fit. Some garage builder like myself might then fudge things if they don't have another tt on hand but Stanton would just scrap the TT and cut another one if it was off. Doesn't speak well to Stanton's capabilities.

I would guess they just screwed up the cad model.

Posted: May 17, 2024 at 23:17 Quote
not taking anything away from steves expertise, but his ride feelings are sometimes a bit off the numbers. on one hand he's often right how the numbers don't always line up to specific ride characteristics, on the other hand his "ride feelings" sometimes seem a bit strange to me. maybe an issue of static/sagged measurements.

edit: haven't seen the video yet, did he measure the angles?.

Posted: May 18, 2024 at 7:46 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
not taking anything away from steves expertise, but his ride feelings are sometimes a bit off the numbers. on one hand he's often right how the numbers don't always line up to specific ride characteristics, on the other hand his "ride feelings" sometimes seem a bit strange to me. maybe an issue of static/sagged measurements.

edit: haven't seen the video yet, did he measure the angles?.

Yeah STA on the proto came out at like 72 or something like that. Static

Posted: May 18, 2024 at 8:37 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
not taking anything away from steves expertise, but his ride feelings are sometimes a bit off the numbers. on one hand he's often right how the numbers don't always line up to specific ride characteristics, on the other hand his "ride feelings" sometimes seem a bit strange to me.

He's a very smart person that has managed to gather a large following by serving a very specific niche withing mtb'ing, but personally I think any experienced rider would take his opinions and recommendations with a grain of salt. I very much respect the time and effort he puts into his channel and I often watch his videos as a source of information, but wouldn't base any purchasing decisions on his findings. My opinion might have been different if I was just starting out and looking for my 1st or 2nd bike.

The paintjob and overall finish of the Stanton Sedona look stellar though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027285
Mobile Version of Website