Rock Shox Lyrik air to coil conversion. What parts to buy?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rock Shox Lyrik air to coil conversion. What parts to buy?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2012 at 6:03 Quote
Hello Amigos. I've been looking into converting my lyrik solo air to a coil uturn. It appears to be possible based discussions I have read. Does anyone know what I need to purchase other than the spring assembly?

Thanks!!!!

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 at 6:23 Quote
U-Turn Travel Adjuster Knob Aluminum (Coil) Lever
Lyrik U-Turn Spring Assy
Lyrik U-Turn Topout Spring Assy

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 at 6:27 Quote
Thanks for the quick reply comacruz! Totally pumped for some coil!

Posted: May 1, 2012 at 6:10 Quote
OK I got the three parts I needed (spring assembly, top out spring assembly, uturn knob). I am going to do the conversion tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted!

Posted: May 7, 2012 at 10:17 Quote
The Lyrik 2-step is now a Lyrik U-Turn Coil!

Before the conversion I convinced my buddy Dave to let us service his 2011 coil U-turn lyrik. This let me see exactly how things fit together.

I ended up receiving a Boxxer topout spring assembly instead of the lyrik assembly. The difference between the two pieces was that the boxxer topout spring had a smaller hole than the Lyrik toput spring. Instead of sending the part back I just drilled it out with a 1/2" bit.

Looking into Dave's uppers I noticed a plastic sleeve on the inside of the spring side. After some reading I learned there is a part called the Upper Tube Spring Sleeve (rockshox part 11.4015.205.000). This sleeve is designed to protect the inside of the stanchion from being scratched by the spring. I read that people have done the conversion successfully without this sleeve so I proceeded without it. The key is to liberally grease the insides of the uppers.

I took her out on her maiden voyage yesterday and this fork blew my 36 Talas out of the water. No comparison. The mid-stroke support in the Talas was terrible. The coil Lyrik has FAR better mid-stroke support and small bump sensitivity (which will be even better once I remove the pesky floodgate). This is exactly what I expected.

Thanks for the help comacruz!

I did end up finding that spring sleeve online for $8 so I ordered it. I figure I'll install it next time I have the fork apart. Why not.

So here is the master parts list including the sleeve:

U-Turn Travel Adjuster Knob Aluminum (Coil) Lever
Lyrik U-Turn Spring Assy
Lyrik Upper Tube Spring Sleeve (part number 11.4015.205.000)
Lyrik U-Turn Topout Spring Assy

If anyone doing this conversion has any questions please let me know and I will try and help.

Posted: May 7, 2012 at 10:26 Quote
Yeah there's no real reason to use the sleeve (half the time it's not part of the stock fork) unless you are planning on going back to a 2-step or Solo Air. Even with the sleeve I would still apply a liberal amount of grease to the spring. Glad everything worked out for you.

Here are a few pics of various Lyrik models for future thread viewers.

http://comacruz.pinkbike.com/album/TECH-2008-Lyrik-Coil-U-Turn/

http://comacruz.pinkbike.com/album/TECH-08-Lyrik-coil-u-turn/

http://comacruz.pinkbike.com/album/TECH-2011-Lyrik-Solo-Air/

Posted: May 11, 2012 at 7:24 Quote
I just removed the floodgate. I weigh about 190 geared up I now feel like I get more useable travel out of the firm (blue) spring. I am blown away by how good this fork feels. Everyone is right. If you don't use the floodgate feature on your fork you must get rid of it. Even when it is open and not locked out the gate clearly restricts the flow of oil through the damper. It is simply a better performing fork without it.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll leave the link to the floodgate mod video:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/146846/

comazruz, thanks again!

Posted: May 11, 2012 at 7:31 Quote
masoniverscass wrote:
I just removed the floodgate. I weigh about 190 geared up I now feel like I get more useable travel out of the firm (blue) spring. I am blown away by how good this fork feels. Everyone is right. If you don't use the floodgate feature on your fork you must get rid of it. Even when it is open and not locked out the gate clearly restricts the flow of oil through the damper. It is simply a better performing fork without it.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll leave the link to the floodgate mod video:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/146846/

comazruz, thanks again!

I've been doing that Floodgate mod since 2007 on all of the Lyrik and Totem forks I've owned. The added ease of oil flow makes a huge difference.

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 23:05 Quote
This is great. I'm looking to convert to coil also. I'm really unhappy with the stiction on my SO. My old Revelation dual air felt way better, kinda wish I didn't sell it. Oh well.

Question: Did you put the same amount of oil as if it were still a SO?

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 at 1:47 Quote
gonna do this to my Lyriks!

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2013 at 17:12 Quote
Thanks for the info, I just did the conversion to my Lyrik.

It feels so much smoother with the u-turn coil than it did with 2-step air.

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 at 2:30 Quote
my question is:you can convert to coil and u-turn whichever new lyrik?

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2013 at 10:12 Quote
11.4310.717.000 u-turn travel adjuster Knob aluminum (Coil) Lever
11.4015.098.000 Lyrik u-turn Spring (choose the right one based on your weight.
11.4015.458.010 Lyrik Coil/u-turn top out assembly
11.4015.205.000 Domain/Lyrik upper tube/Spring Sleeve

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 20:57 Quote
Hi guys, I also have a lyric solo air. The part numbers in the post above is all I need to order right?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013550
Mobile Version of Website