The 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra thread (and other model years)

PB Forum :: Kona
The 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra thread (and other model years)
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 13:19 Quote
Very nice I do like the green ones.
Talas forks or dual airs on rockshox always ride stiff/ rubbish . The extra gubbins that alters the travel adds extra drag and sticky Ness.
They make good candidates for a coil Conversion instead of buying a new fork as the chassis and the dampners are good. That's what I'm gonna do with my dual air pike eventually.

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 6:35 Quote
Yeah, I like the color scheme. The Talas is definitely stickier, just generally less smooth all around. Looking for a conversion kit, or maybe seeing if I can pull the internals from my extra 2010 Float R and put them in the 2012 Talas RLC. That way I can leave my other just serviced 36 Float on my Giant Reign. Conversion kit would be preferable. Thinking I'll only need to swap the one side. Guess I'll post this question in another forum.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 1:48 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Just a thought is the coil there to act as a negative spring /basic rebound control not hold it up. Seems odd having both air and a spring holding it up.

Sorry for slow response her, but I don't get any notifications from Pinkbike..
There is no negative spring or chamber in the auxillary shock. The coil is for minimizing auxillaty shock stiction. And the air-can I guess came to easily adjust spring stiffness.
Maybe also for hiding the coil I belive Kona did drop the magic link design partially due to unusual looks on top of the slightly more complex way of fine tuning the linkage.
I really happy with my new Tantrumcycles Meltdown. More efficient geometry adjustment then the Magiclink. Allot slacker steering at 63deg HTA. Bigger wheels also helps. I think I will continue with 29" up front and 27'5" rear. Might sound odd, but it really works.. Very versatile mix as the linkage also makes this bike to performer.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
Anyone still riding one of these? Mine is still going strong nearly 8 years later, second set of bearings and second Kona air shock, but still on the original Fox RP23.

Pretty much overhauled everything else, more recently switching to 1x11 setup (RaceFace 34t NW on XT cranks with full XT M8000 and 11-46 SunRace cassette), new 2017 RockShox Pike RCT3 27.5 fork reduced to 150mm with 2021 Debonair Cartridge upgrade and DMR Deathgrips to replace the worn ODI Vans.

Shaved about 0.5kg off the weight and geometry is slackened a degree. But still climbs like a mountain goat and rapid downhill!

It’s the best it’s ever been!

Latest upgrades to the Kona Abra Cadabra - Rock Shox Pike Solo Air RCT3 27.5 XT M8000 1x11 XT Cranks RaceFace 34t Narrow Wide ring SunRace 11-46 cassette and Onza Ibex and Canis skinwalls
Before the grip change

Latest upgrades to the Kona Abra Cadabra - Rock Shox Pike Solo Air RCT3 27.5 XT M8000 1x11 XT Cranks RaceFace 34t Narrow Wide ring SunRace 11-46 cassette and Onza Ibex and Canis skinwalls

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
Retired mine as had to many bikes on the go. But iv still got the frame .
Iv got the air shock magi link and a serviced rp23 with kashima upgrade available if you ever need.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Retired mine as had to many bikes on the go. But iv still got the frame .
Iv got the air shock magi link and a serviced rp23 with kashima upgrade available if you ever need.

I may well be interested in buying them off you if you have a price in mind? My original shock is still going strong but it needs a service and the Kona air shock is unlikely to be as reliable as the Fox, so a spare one would be great. Let me know

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
I'd sell the complete air magic link and the kash rp23 for £50 . Be glad to know it was keeping another cadabra going.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
2012 Kona Abra Cadabra Custom Build with Kashima Fox RP23 shock upgrade

Massive thanks to @markg1150 for kindly selling his spare Kashima’d RP23 and back up aux air shock. First trial with the rear shock today, a definite improvement over the old one. Hoping to get many more years out of this.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
sotonkona wrote:
Anyone still riding one of these? Mine is still going strong nearly 8 years later, second set of bearings and second Kona air shock, but still on the original Fox RP23.

Pretty much overhauled everything else, more recently switching to 1x11 setup (RaceFace 34t NW on XT cranks with full XT M8000 and 11-46 SunRace cassette), new 2017 RockShox Pike RCT3 27.5 fork reduced to 150mm with 2021 Debonair Cartridge upgrade and DMR Deathgrips to replace the worn ODI Vans.

Shaved about 0.5kg off the weight and geometry is slackened a degree. But still climbs like a mountain goat and rapid downhill!

It’s the best it’s ever been!

Before the grip change

I am riding it until today :-)
I am searching now for new wheels front and rear..but 26" isn't so easy as well...

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
Nice catch @sotonkona and great pics! Big kudos to @markg1150 too. I haven't been around for some time but it's nice to see all the Kona Abra Cadabra owners still around, posting and using this thread. Keep it up. I'm surprised at so many 2012 owners here from the four year model run (love the color, it's my MY). All Abra Cadabra owners are encouraged to participate here and thx.

My from-new 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra is still going strong and it's great ❤️. Love the magic link suspension setup and how flexible it is. No thoughts of MTB upgrade-itis. My bike still looks basically identical to the early pictures in the thread here, and the photo posted below is a picture from last year. It still shows the original cassette, chain (2X10 setup), wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, etc. And the bike still has the upgrades done years ago and mentioned early in this thread (CF handlebar, upgraded stem, XT shifters, new grips, bar ends, hydraulic dropper post).

I now have >5000 km on the 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra. I can happily report last year was a renaissance year for riding; with COVID I got in some of the best shape in the last 20 years and I rode the MTB ~2000 km. And this 2021 spring MTB service is the biggest ever. I replaced the chain, cassette, cables / lines, tires (wore out the rear... and they'll be the Conti's I posted a picture of on page 2), brakes pads, brake fluid flush, hydraulic dropper post bleed / fluid flush, front suspension seals service, rear shock service and bushings (I picked up both the original DU aluminum bushings as well as the new polyurethane bushings with correct reducers), plus wheel spoke tension check / adjustment and brake disc cleaning / service. I'm doing much of the work myself and am finally going tubeless. I have some tools, but would always like more; I had to pick up a rear shock bushing press tool for the bushing replacements. I've eyeballed and found a few sources of new ceramic wheel bearings for future Easton wheel hub service again, but that'll be a few years off. Not all the work is done yet.

Last year the original Easton rear hub bearings finally went south and I replaced them. The Easton rear hub bearings on the 2012 Kona (and earlier models) were a known durability issue... Easton eventually offered an upgraded bearing support kit to fix them, available to all original owners for free (and with new bearings). I finally used that kit and the bearings last year. Plus I the freewheel, checked and greased the BB and a few other little things.

This 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra has been super reliable since new, perfect in all-mountain riding (from enduro to XC) and I find the familiarity gained from long term use / high mileage brings even better riding skills and confidence. I'll try to get a few pictures up when I get the spring service done here. In the meantime, here's a picture of my MTB from summer last year (big picture).

It's a large picture, click here to open the picture in its own window.

Fellow Abra Cadabra owners, keep us in the loop here. Cheers.

Posted: Apr 4, 2021 at 2:11 Quote
Love the fact yours is still going on strong kwtoxman and even with that mileage it’s still looking new!!

I’ve done 3.5k miles on mine now and it’s still going strong. I have now replaced every single part (other than the frame itself!) though.

Most recently I blew the spare Kashima RP23 so changed for a new Cane Creek DB Air IL custom tuned by TF Tuned. I also managed to get a ridiculously good deal on a Reverb AXS dropper post too, which, whilst adding a bit of extra weight, is a seriously impressive bit of kit.

Tracking down new decent 26 inch tyres is certainly becoming a challenge now, but was great to see that Schwalbe introduced the new and improved Nobby Nic at this size.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
sotonkona wrote:
Love the fact yours is still going on strong kwtoxman and even with that mileage it’s still looking new!!

I’ve done 3.5k miles on mine now and it’s still going strong. I have now replaced every single part (other than the frame itself!) though.

Most recently I blew the spare Kashima RP23 so changed for a new Cane Creek DB Air IL custom tuned by TF Tuned. I also managed to get a ridiculously good deal on a Reverb AXS dropper post too, which, whilst adding a bit of extra weight, is a seriously impressive bit of kit.

Tracking down new decent 26 inch tyres is certainly becoming a challenge now, but was great to see that Schwalbe introduced the new and improved Nobby Nic at this size.

Nice and thx for sharing! It sounds like we have similar mileage on our Kona Abra Cadabras (miles vs km). I'm very interested to keep hearing from all owners, including recent experiences and bike upgrades/changes. Sharing maintenance, service and upgrade info will be most helpful and much appreciated.

Which Nobby Nic option stands out to you? I found this a good read on Schwalbe tires, https://enduro-mtb.com/en/schwalbe-mountain-bike-tires-review/. I was worried about the new (older) Continental's on the bike (some reviews had sidewall problems) and with all the invested service I decided to get some back up tires to prevent any down time in case there were problems. I went with the recommendations in that article, F/R - Magic Mary, ADDIX Soft, Super Trail / Hans Dampf, ADDIX Soft, Super Gravity. If I don't need them, I resell them on. It's early, but all is good so far with the Conti's. I'd love to get my hands on a Super Trail Nobby Nic, Super Gravity too... but my source didn't have any.

What do you think of the Cane Creek DB Air IL on the Abra Cadabra? I went eyeballing the 2021 Fox Float DPS rear shock (a direct swap option). I'm not going to do anything this year, but we'll see down the line.

So far, spring has come early this year (and finally after many years with poor and late spring weather). I didn't want to miss out, so I managed to do most all of the rest of the major spring service on the Abra Cadabra. The current tally includes a new chain, cassette, rear shock bushings, cables, grips, bar ends and tires (went tubeless as well), plus F/R suspension service, brake fluid flush, dropper post fluid flush, RD indexing and wheel truing / spoke tension adjustment. As mentioned, I added new rear wheel bearings in 2020.

Going tubeless (for tires) was an adventure. I read up on the topic and watched some YouTube videos in preparation but my first attempts were still a frustrating failure. As per recommendations, I unpacked the new tubeless tires and let them sit and take normal shape for days. Then, even with a compressor, I couldn't get the first tire beads to seat on the wheel for the life of me. And in the failed attempts to get the tire bead to seat on the wheel, I ended up wasting half the tire sealant Madder . It took me about 5 days to get more sealant and try again. After doing some more YT watching and reading on the topic, I ended up finally getting the new tires to seat on the Easton Haven wheels. Fwiw, the original old OEM Easton Haven tubeless presta valves do NOT have removable valve cores, which made seating the tire more difficult. What helped me to successfully get the new tubeless tires to seat on the rims was a combination of 1 - seating the new tires onto the wheel with a tire tube and then carefully using tire levers to pop the tire bead off only one side of the wheel (which allows removal the tube and addition of sealant), and 2 - using silicon spray around the unseated tire bead, after it's sitting inside the wheel and then inflating the tire with the compressor. I also used a presta to schrader adapter to make inflation work using my air compressor (they're cheap and most bike shops carry them, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DN2MTKQ/)

We've had a few really nice spring days, it's been drying out quickly and I've now been out on the MTB three times. On the first ride I quickly found out my large chainring is totally worn out and basically unusable... but the smaller chainring is okay. Since the rest of the drivetrain is new, I went ahead and ordered new OEM spec chainrings too (38/26 AK Shimano XT M785 type). They should be in shortly.

Otherwise, the first three spring rides so far have been great after the service. I immediately found the bike more compliant in small suspension movements (such as with small bumps and in general riding behavior), due afaict to both going tubeless as well as changing to polyurethane rear shock bushings. There's more feedback too, which is great; it's even like I can feel the tire knobs interacting with the ground as the tires roll. And there's way better grip from the new tires. I'm really digging these enhancements tup . The rest of the bike rides like it's new. It's super quiet again, like stealth-mode and the rear derailleur is shifting perfectly.

I'm still in pretty good shape, some of the best early spring shape ever, and it seems my technical riding skills haven't dulled either; on the most recent ride I tried the most technical trail in the area, as thankfully it was reasonably dry, and it went well.... though I still need to get into better (riding) shape. First ride of the year was 18 km, the next day I rode 24 km and a few days later I went 27 km. I'm very much looking forward to MTB riding this year.

I've since tweaked the magic link air shock pressure a bit and slowed the rebound down a touch as well. Sag looks good F/R and the bike looks to be ready to rumble (minus the chainrings which are expected shortly).

Here's a picture of the 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra after the spring service just recently, and right before the first ride. High res 5344X3008. It's in the same place as the 2020 picture above too. Cheers.
Kona Abra Cadabra spring service 2021 - new chain cassette rear shock bushings cables grips bar ends and tires went tubeless too plus f r suspension service brake fluid flush dropper post fluid flush RD indexing and wheel truing spoke tension adjustment. Chainrings on order. New rear wheel bearings in 2020.

Here's a picture of the new poly bushings with the rear shock, plus the magic link.
Upgraded to poly bushings rear shock .

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 16:21 Quote
kwtoxman wrote:
sotonkona wrote:

Nice and thx for sharing! It sounds like we have similar mileage on our Kona Abra Cadabras (miles vs km). I'm very interested to keep hearing from all owners, including recent experiences and bike upgrades/changes. Sharing maintenance, service and upgrade info will be most helpful and much appreciated.

Which Nobby Nic option stands out to you? I found this a good read on Schwalbe tires, https://enduro-mtb.com/en/schwalbe-mountain-bike-tires-review/. I was worried about the new (older) Continental's on the bike (some reviews had sidewall problems) and with all the invested service I decided to get some back up tires to prevent any down time in case there were problems. I went with the recommendations in that article, F/R - Magic Mary, ADDIX Soft, Super Trail / Hans Dampf, ADDIX Soft, Super Gravity. If I don't need them, I resell them on. It's early, but all is good so far with the Conti's. I'd love to get my hands on a Super Trail Nobby Nic, Super Gravity too... but my source didn't have any.

What do you think of the Cane Creek DB Air IL on the Abra Cadabra? I went eyeballing the 2021 Fox Float DPS rear shock (a direct swap option). I'm not going to do anything this year, but we'll see down the line.

So far, spring has come early this year (and finally after many years with poor and late spring weather). I didn't want to miss out, so I managed to do most all of the rest of the major spring service on the Abra Cadabra. The current tally includes a new chain, cassette, rear shock bushings, cables, grips, bar ends and tires (went tubeless as well), plus F/R suspension service, brake fluid flush, dropper post fluid flush, RD indexing and wheel truing / spoke tension adjustment. As mentioned, I added new rear wheel bearings in 2020.

Going tubeless (for tires) was an adventure. I read up on the topic and watched some YouTube videos in preparation but my first attempts were still a frustrating failure. As per recommendations, I unpacked the new tubeless tires and let them sit and take normal shape for days. Then, even with a compressor, I couldn't get the first tire beads to seat on the wheel for the life of me. And in the failed attempts to get the tire bead to seat on the wheel, I ended up wasting half the tire sealant Madder . It took me about 5 days to get more sealant and try again. After doing some more YT watching and reading on the topic, I ended up finally getting the new tires to seat on the Easton Haven wheels. Fwiw, the original old OEM Easton Haven tubeless presta valves do NOT have removable valve cores, which made seating the tire more difficult. What helped me to successfully get the new tubeless tires to seat on the rims was a combination of 1 - seating the new tires onto the wheel with a tire tube and then carefully using tire levers to pop the tire bead off only one side of the wheel (which allows removal the tube and addition of sealant), and 2 - using silicon spray around the unseated tire bead, after it's sitting inside the wheel and then inflating the tire with the compressor. I also used a presta to schrader adapter to make inflation work using my air compressor (they're cheap and most bike shops carry them, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DN2MTKQ/)

We've had a few really nice spring days, it's been drying out quickly and I've now been out on the MTB three times. On the first ride I quickly found out my large chainring is totally worn out and basically unusable... but the smaller chainring is okay. Since the rest of the drivetrain is new, I went ahead and ordered new OEM spec chainrings too (38/26 AK Shimano XT M785 type). They should be in shortly.

Otherwise, the first three spring rides so far have been great after the service. I immediately found the bike more compliant in small suspension movements (such as with small bumps and in general riding behavior), due afaict to both going tubeless as well as changing to polyurethane rear shock bushings. There's more feedback too, which is great; it's even like I can feel the tire knobs interacting with the ground as the tires roll. And there's way better grip from the new tires. I'm really digging these enhancements tup . The rest of the bike rides like it's new. It's super quiet again, like stealth-mode and the rear derailleur is shifting perfectly.

I'm still in pretty good shape, some of the best early spring shape ever, and it seems my technical riding skills haven't dulled either; on the most recent ride I tried the most technical trail in the area, as thankfully it was reasonably dry, and it went well.... though I still need to get into better (riding) shape. First ride of the year was 18 km, the next day I rode 24 km and a few days later I went 27 km. I'm very much looking forward to MTB riding this year.

I've since tweaked the magic link air shock pressure a bit and slowed the rebound down a touch as well. Sag looks good F/R and the bike looks to be ready to rumble (minus the chainrings which are expected shortly).

Here's a picture of the 2012 Kona Abra Cadabra after the spring service just recently, and right before the first ride. High res 5344X3008. It's in the same place as the 2020 picture above too. Cheers.
Kona Abra Cadabra spring service 2021 - new chain cassette rear shock bushings cables grips bar ends and tires went tubeless too plus f r suspension service brake fluid flush dropper post fluid flush RD indexing and wheel truing spoke tension adjustment. Chainrings on order. New rear wheel bearings in 2020.

Here's a picture of the new poly bushings with the rear shock, plus the magic link.
Upgraded to poly bushings rear shock .

Yours is looking great, it’s good to see others still in use.

I was considering the latest Fox shock too, but it was about £150 more than the CC and I read loads of great recommendations about the CC, service and the 2 year warranty. Plus it came tuned for my weight and riding style, I’ve done about 600 miles on it now and it’s been consistently excellent - it was a vast improvement over the old RP23.

As for the tyres, I chose the Super Ground 2.35 Nobby Nics front and rear. Again I read lots of good reviews for the rolling resistance and the decent grip of the side lugs. They’re about 100gms heavier than the Maxxis Ardents they replaced, but the side grip throughout a wet/muddy/icy UK winter have proven to be amazing. They’ve survived a battering on the rooty and rocky trails without sustaining any damage too. I’m really keen to go tubeless too, so thanks for the useful tips, hoping I can make it work with my old DT rims.

Still think one of the best upgrades has been the 1x11 drivetrain. Ditching the front mech and putting the 11-46 cassette on the rear was a game changer. It climbs better, weighs less, is near silent and far less hassle. The XT clutch mech does s decent job keeping the chain on when on the downhills too.

I’m running a 27.5 Pike fork with 150mm travel which has change the geo by about a degree, which works pretty well.

Latest pics

Kona Abra Cadabra 2012 Race Light Scandium with Air MagicLink - full custom build - Cane Creek DB Air IL Pike Reverb AXS XT M8000 1x11 Hope Pro 2s XT M8200 Brakes Schwalbe Nobby Nics

Kona Abra Cadabra 2012 Race Light Scandium with Air MagicLink - full custom build - Cane Creek DB Air IL Pike Reverb AXS XT M8000 1x11 Hope Pro 2s XT M8200 Brakes Schwalbe Nobby Nics

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014993
Mobile Version of Website