Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 9:23 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
guess I should count myself lucky....

Hi Bud, how you finding the mega 290 - much more riding on it?

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:41 Quote
Awesome, it's very smooth (the debonair works very well) and just eats miles, climbs well.

It feels like a fast trail bike with some bigger travel in its back pocket...

I need to take it back to Wales and see how it handles the rougher stuff....

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:55 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Awesome, it's very smooth (the debonair works very well) and just eats miles, climbs well.

I read in one of the magazines that instead of swapping out the debonair, they revised the tune - so good to hear you're liking it. It'll mean less tinkering with the rear shock afterall.

Good to hear it climbs well. How efficient is it compared to your capra?

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 1:39 Quote
Richt2000 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:

I read in one of the magazines that instead of swapping out the debonair, they revised the tune - so good to hear you're liking it. It'll mean less tinkering with the rear shock afterall.

Good to hear it climbs well. How efficient is it compared to your Capra?

It feels very efficient, more so than the Capra (and that's pretty good), but then its a less hard core enduro bike.....It is not a straight comparison as the Capra can be used on pretty full on downhill tracks (no wonder YT appear to be struggling to sell Tues). I'm not sure I'd go as far with a Mega 29" as I would a Capra and you'd have to go for wider and beefier wheels (although the Roam 40 are surprising stiff, shame they are only 21mm internal). Saying that she feels stiff and trustworthy.

I haven't seen the comment about a retune (which mag?). My shock just says L/L. MBR mag said they were going to swap to the high volume can but I've spoken to Nukeproof and that's not the case. The debonair is very smooth.

I've had an issue with shock trail mode feeling like full lock-out but that seems to be easing so maybe its just a new shock bedding in issue. Time will tell. On the Capra I ended up moving to running it open all the time, partly because the leverage ratio is unusually high and it could sometimes feel like it was stiff over even long fast smooth undulations. Given the way the mega works I will probably stick to leaving it open as well for all but the steepest smooth climbs. I haven't been able to get the Mega leverage ratio analysis/information yet. Once I have that I will use it to test my gut feeling that one or two volume spacers might be worth trying to get a little more ramp up for punchier trails.

One quick note.....Its really hard to get a feel for the shock by looking at how much travel you have used on the mega as its very short. The Capra has the longest shock available so its a massive visual contrast.

I took it on a long trail ride at the weekend and it slaughtered it. Quite frankly I think it will change the range of rides I do because I know I can do them more quickly and efficiently. Some of that is the 29er benefits but also it just feels a bit more athletic.

I don't know why they didn't spec it with 200mm discs given how fast it is. In contrast I never felt like the Capra needed a 200mm on the back ( it brakes traction too easy).

I will report back once I've taken it for some more technical riding,.

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 12:56 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Richt2000 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:

Good to hear it climbs well. How efficient is it compared to your Capra?

It feels very efficient, more so than the Capra (and that's pretty good), but then its a less hard core enduro bike.....It is not a straight comparison as the Capra can be used on pretty full on downhill tracks (no wonder YT appear to be struggling to sell Tues). I'm not sure I'd go as far with a Mega 29" as I would a Capra and you'd have to go for wider and beefier wheels (although the Roam 40 are surprising stiff, shame they are only 21mm internal). Saying that she feels stiff and trustworthy.

I haven't seen the comment about a retune (which mag?). My shock just says L/L. MBR mag said they were going to swap to the high volume can but I've spoken to Nukeproof and that's not the case. The debonair is very smooth.

I've had an issue with shock trail mode feeling like full lock-out but that seems to be easing so maybe its just a new shock bedding in issue. Time will tell. On the Capra I ended up moving to running it open all the time, partly because the leverage ratio is unusually high and it could sometimes feel like it was stiff over even long fast smooth undulations. Given the way the mega works I will probably stick to leaving it open as well for all but the steepest smooth climbs. I haven't been able to get the Mega leverage ratio analysis/information yet. Once I have that I will use it to test my gut feeling that one or two volume spacers might be worth trying to get a little more ramp up for punchier trails.

One quick note.....Its really hard to get a feel for the shock by looking at how much travel you have used on the mega as its very short. The Capra has the longest shock available so its a massive visual contrast.

I took it on a long trail ride at the weekend and it slaughtered it. Quite frankly I think it will change the range of rides I do because I know I can do them more quickly and efficiently. Some of that is the 29er benefits but also it just feels a bit more athletic.

I don't know why they didn't spec it with 200mm discs given how fast it is. In contrast I never felt like the Capra needed a 200mm on the back ( it brakes traction too easy).

I will report back once I've taken it for some more technical riding,.

Thanks for all the info and comparison. The shock tune was in the latest Printed MBR mag, just realised that it was in the mega 275 review, but I imagine the same problem - anyway it says based on early feedback they increased the compression tune. Which probably means they stuck a volume spacer in!

Yea Capra rear rotor I downsized to a 180 to get a bit more modulation.

Interesting you say about the roam 40 being ok. I've been planning waiting another month to get frame only and building up my own (i have all the bits already except fork) but now may have opportunity to by a pro 290 now. Decision decisions.

How do you find the steering? I'm wondering if I built my own up whether to get the 46mm offset as MBR recommended....

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 13:38 Quote
The Roam 40 are very stiff and the spokes are tensioned really high....there are only 24 spokes though....I will get an extra set of heavy duty wheels but I think the roam will be good most of the time, particularly as they are very light and spin up quick (I don't really understand the slow pick up issue that people refer to on 29ers, this bike just goes).

I think the monarch is a great shock and being able to tune it easily is a plus... I would guess the leverage ratio differs a bit between the 275 and 290 but don't kbow the actual leverage ratios.

No issues on steering at all....I think the other big travel 29ers.....Wreckoning and Enduro are speced with 51 offset....my XL is massively long but I haven't had any slow turn speed issues.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 2:23 Quote
Yours has 46mm offset?

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 3:30 Quote
Enduro used to be 51mm offset, they've gone back to 46mm for 2016. I preferred the 51mm to the 46.. Personally.
I'm really tempted by a mega 290 but coming from a capra and various enduros I'm worried that with the huge 450 cs, it'll lose the hooliganism, pop and checkableness that I enjoy out of my bikes here in South Wales.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 7:21 Quote
Wale wrote:
Yours has 46mm offset?

Pretty sure it's 51

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 7:24 Quote
waldo1 wrote:
Enduro used to be 51mm offset, they've gone back to 46mm for 2016. I preferred the 51mm to the 46.. Personally.
I'm really tempted by a mega 290 but coming from a capra and various enduros I'm worried that with the huge 450 cs, it'll lose the hooliganism, pop and checkableness that I enjoy out of my bikes here in South Wales.

I'm not sure that's right on the Enduro, I was looking at it and noticed 46, but spec make errors in their specs and I haven't heard that change confirmed. There's virtually no 2016 bikes out there because everybody is waiting for the 2017 new frame....

Maybe the Ohlins fork details will tell you.....its for spec

On length....yes I'm having to adjust jumping but TBF it just seems proportionate for me.... The Capra sometimes felt very short when in attacke position.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 10:23 Quote
waldo1 wrote:

Very much depends on the bike.
I currently have a Intense Spider 29C and a Capra.

The Spider is way more poppy and fun off small trail features, and that has 17.5" chainstays.
Just as fun as the evil following was (16.9" chainstays)

The capra is obviously a blast at higher speeds, but some 29ers are as fun as their smaller wheeled brothers.

Another comparison is the 5010 and Spider 29C. Similar geo, similar weights, similar travel.. I find the Spider just as fun as the 5010 and way faster up and down....

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 6:45 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
waldo1 wrote:

I'm not sure that's right on the Enduro, I was looking at it and noticed 46, but spec make errors in their specs and I haven't heard that change confirmed. There's virtually no 2016 bikes out there because everybody is waiting for the 2017 new frame....

Maybe the Ohlins fork details will tell you.....its for spec

On length....yes I'm having to adjust jumping but TBF it just seems proportionate for me.... The Capra sometimes felt very short when in attacke position.

Cheers for all your help. A Mega 290 Pro complete bike will be with me Monday :-)

My order of frame only was just just pushed back again until 25th April and so I'm cancelling that and snapped up an rare in-stock complete bike...

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 7:40 Quote
Hi guys,

I am currently in the midst of building my first FS bike. As I cannot find much information / people talking about the TR 275, I was wondering what are y'all thoughts on it? I am specifically looking at the 2015's TR 275.

Also, are there any thing I should take note when building up the TR275 if I were to get it?

Last thing, is there a reason why there is so little info on Nukeproof products? I dont really see as many people getting em or even talking about em.

Thank you Smile

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 8:04 Quote
Get the AM, tr is shorter travel and you will like it more

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025067
Mobile Version of Website