Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 4:04 Quote
DirkPitt74 wrote:
toys19 wrote:
Are the 55's reduced to 150mm?
I have them on my TR @150mm and they are extremely good.

Yes had them reduced to 150.
Not managed to get out and ride them yet.
How easy are they to set up and tweek?

Pretty easy. This is my method, it might not be technically correct but it gets me to a point where I am happy that my suspension is not worrying me..

1) Do sag - ie sit on bike at full riding weight and adjust fork pressure to preferred sag, I like 25-30%. I'm about 95kg in my riding gear so I think i have about 100psi.

2) Set rebound to minimum, ie fastest, set compression to halfway.

3) Ride around for 10 mins to warm up suspension.

4) Compression - With sag set by pressure, I use compression to control bottoming - so hit your hardest landing or rock garden and see how easy you bottom out, increase or reduce compression appropriately. (It may well feel crap at this point due to rebound being off, ignore that, we will do that next)

5) Rebound - I like fast rebound so I think I only have a little bit off minimum, for me rebound will also show up in the rock garden once you have set sag and compression, if it feels harsh then that is probably too much rebound making the fork pack down, ie it does not recover full travel fast enough between hits. If it feels like you are being bounced around too much then you will need a bot more rebound.

6) Then go back and make small adjustments to pressure and compression to increase comfort/reduce harshness.

7) Remember tyre pressure will have a huge effect on comfort and harshness through the bars, so I tend to reduce this a bit. What I do is have it so low that the tyre rolls and feels squidgy in the turns, then add small amounts of pressure until this stops.

Job dun.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 4:48 Quote
Thanks Toys - will give it a go over the weekend.
Glad to hear that they're decent performers too.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 5:20 Quote
DirkPitt74 wrote:
Thanks Toys - will give it a go over the weekend.
Glad to hear that they're decent performers too.
Very much my favourite fork, I have the pike solo air on the Reign which is v similar ie compression, rebound and air adjustment, I prefer the feel of the 55's, more mid stroke, more control and feel stiffer laterally (eg when clattering through rock gardens). The 55 RC3Ti's on my PPShan hardtail are awesome, but not air adjustable to the same degree, so in fact the CR's always seem to give more confidence as they are set bang on.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 14:24 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Anybody cut a seat post on the new Mega?...any shared experience may be helful

It's no different to cutting a post from any other bike!

Carbon or alu is the question

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 15:09 Quote
Travel66 wrote:

Seat post or seat tube?

Someone asked on FB a few days back about cutting down the seat tube on the frame.

If it is seat tube - buy a smaller frame.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 23:32 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
Travel66 wrote:

It's no different to cutting a post from any other bike!

Carbon or alu is the question

Alu...it's the seat tube that is about an inch too long...

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 2:31 Quote
Well your options are pipe cutter or hacksaw and guide, remember to file down your edges!

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 3:52 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
Well your options are pipe cutter or hacksaw and guide, remember to file down your edges!

Or buy a shorter seat post.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 23:52 Quote
I wasn't clear at the start... I meant a seat tube....a bigger deal than cutting a post?

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 1:54 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
I wasn't clear at the start... I meant a seat tube....a bigger deal than cutting a post?

Yes, not advisable IMHO. You'll void warranty and potentially compromise frame integrity.

Be better off swapping to a smaller frame.

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 3:40 Quote
I've cut down the seat tube of a 2015 mega XL. From 508mm to 490mm. A smaller frame was no option, the XL with shorter seat tube is perfect now.
The frame was second hand, so without warranty anymore, but I would do it again.

local bikeshop could do that, if you don't have the right tools.

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 3:47 Quote
How does some one fit an XL in length but not in set tube height ?

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 4:08 Quote
I think the sizing on the medium is pretty good seat tube:reach but as you go up to large, XL the seat tube extends more than the reach?
Might be wrong don't quote me but we're all different. An extra inch or even half an inch of clearance at the seat can make a big difference (it can to me anyways).

I expected there to be more naysayers on this one, usually people get all doomsday about frame modifications but this is a pretty straight forward one and if done right there shouldn't be an issue.

I would probably extend the round hole at the base of the seat tube split and be careful not to have any portion of the seat tube that is close to the brace weld be a part of the clamping mechanism so as not to put any stress on the weld.

Having modified mine I would say think very hard about how long you're gonna keep the frame...potential buyers may not like it.

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 11:46 Quote
I'm selling a large 2015 275 TR if anyone is interested....Havent had chance to get on a computer yet to get pics up but can email if any interest...
Cheers!

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 23:49 Quote
bigburd wrote:
How does some one fit an XL in length but not in set tube height ?

Because the front end (stack) only rises 9mm from Small to XL yet the seat tube increases 127mm from Small to XL.

I don't want to size down the reach will be too short.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011488
Mobile Version of Website