Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 18:25 Quote
johnski15 wrote:
I've gone for the CCBD Air CS - setting up via App - work in progress.
photo

What size is this frame? I've not seen one without a gap in the TT-ST triangle before.

Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 0:25 Quote
There was talk about Bronson tune for the Monarch, did you guys got new shims for it or just reorder the existing ones?

Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 15:27 Quote
Evening all,

You'll see I've posted a few questions over the last couple of pages regarding the Mega 290, I've been really interested in one since trying a mates for 5 minutes last month. But tonight I had his 2016 Pro for a few hours and absolutely loved it, front end grip is astonishing, combined with the 150mm dropper. Really confidence inspiring!!

Only downsides are it feels heavy to get moving or accelerating, I ride a 26lbs carbon Lapierre Zesty with 27.5" wheel), could be a 29er thing or just it's overall weight. Also not keen on the more frequent pedal strikes and could do with a 203mm front rotor.

Tonight's question is around sizing... it was medium, I'm 168cm with 32" leg. The 150mm dropper was only about 0.8cm up from the the collar. Does this suggest it's too big? I can only just touch the ground on my absolute tip toes, which isn't too different to my current bike to be fair and the reach is almost exactly the same. Felt great to me,but thought I'd check.

However, I think I miss 175mm cranks (perhaps explains some of the slightly lethargic acceleration), which unfortunately may not work with the seat position and make rock strikes even more likely Frown Frown

Any thoughts on sizing? Wouldn't want to lose the wheelbase by gong to a small.

YT Jeffsy is the only alternative bike I can think of, but not as slack and shorter wheelbase.

Graeme

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 0:42 Quote
scz4 wrote:
Evening all,

You'll see I've posted a few questions over the last couple of pages regarding the Mega 290, I've been really interested in one since trying a mates for 5 minutes last month. But tonight I had his 2016 Pro for a few hours and absolutely loved it, front end grip is astonishing, combined with the 150mm dropper. Really confidence inspiring!!

Only downsides are it feels heavy to get moving or accelerating, I ride a 26lbs carbon Lapierre Zesty with 27.5" wheel), could be a 29er thing or just it's overall weight. Also not keen on the more frequent pedal strikes and could do with a 203mm front rotor.

Tonight's question is around sizing... it was medium, I'm 168cm with 32" leg. The 150mm dropper was only about 0.8cm up from the the collar. Does this suggest it's too big? I can only just touch the ground on my absolute tip toes, which isn't too different to my current bike to be fair and the reach is almost exactly the same. Felt great to me,but thought I'd check.

However, I think I miss 175mm cranks (perhaps explains some of the slightly lethargic acceleration), which unfortunately may not work with the seat position and make rock strikes even more likely Frown Frown

Any thoughts on sizing? Wouldn't want to lose the wheelbase by gong to a small.

YT Jeffsy is the only alternative bike I can think of, but not as slack and shorter wheelbase.

Graeme

Your comparing a lightweight short travel trail bike against a proper slack/long all mountain/enduro 29er. In short it's going to be heavier and stronger and more squidgy. Set-up on the rear shock is important to how snappy the Mega is though.

You will probably find 175 cranks the reason for pedal strikes. Most people use 170 on all mountain bikes and 165 on DH.

You should be concerned about reach in the attack position not about touching the floor when seated (I presume the stand over height is not a problem).

The feel of YT suspension is quite different to a Mega and if you want something a little less aggressive and snappier a jeffsy maybe a better choice for you.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 0:52 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
[
Your comparing a lightweight short travel trail bike against a proper slack/long all mountain/enduro 29er. In short it's going to be heavier and stronger and more squidgy. Set-up on the rear shock is important to how snappy the Mega is though.

You will probably find 175 cranks the reason for pedal strikes. Most people use 170 on all mountain bikes and 165 on DH.

You should be concerned about reach in the attack position not about touching the floor when seated (I presume the stand over height is not a problem).

The feel of YT suspension is quite different to a Mega and if you want something a little less aggressive and snappier a jeffsy maybe a better choice for you.

Morning,

Thanks for replying.

Just to confirm, my Zesty is 160mm/150mm travel, so not really short travel in comparison, or did you mean the YT Jeffsy? I think it's just 10mm short

The Mega Pro I rode last night had standard 170mm cranks.

Yeah stand-over height is no problem at all, so I think the sizing is right, but just wanted to check. Reach is identical to my current bike, well within a few mm anyway.

My concern with the Jeffsy is it's not as slack and wheelbase is quite a bit shorter. I guess I need to try another 29er to see if the speed and confidence of the Nukeproof comes from it being a 29er, or the the slack head-angle and long wheels bse. Probably a factor of all three. All that said, I was buzzing last night, which makes my think the Nukeproof is the bike for me, I'll stop noticing it's weight after a few rides I'm sure.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 21:32 Quote
brigand wrote:
There was talk about Bronson tune for the Monarch, did you guys got new shims for it or just reorder the existing ones?

I switched to the RC3 Debonair Bronson M/M tune on my 290 about 6 months ago. Rockshox offered to do the basic shock service and include shim stack change. I think it was about $150 USD. But because my shock was only a couple months old, I decided to have them send shims to my local shop instead and forgo the service. I think they were about $20. Couldn't be happier with the end result.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 22:16 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
brigand wrote:

I switched to the RC3 Debonair Bronson M/M tune on my 290 about 6 months ago. Rockshox offered to do the basic shock service and include shim stack change. I think it was about $150 USD. But because my shock was only a couple months old, I decided to have them send shims to my local shop instead and forgo the service. I think they were about $20. Couldn't be happier with the end result.

Can you tell more about that Bronson tune? It is a bit ligter than stock M/M tune? What size shims and where?

and can you tell me about your riding style?

I got my shock custom tuned, but the case is still a bit open. Im not 100% happy with the result. My tune is somewhere around M/L+. It got better and close where it should be. I just still think that there could be more mid support. I would still like that rear end to feel abit more aggressive . I paid for the first tune and the another "warranty" tune is free, so i will give a shot

this whole mega rear shock case is somehow funny. group struggle

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 0:13 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
brigand wrote:

Great, thanx, i'll try that too! Smile

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 14:56 Quote
lazarescu wrote:
johnski15 wrote:
I've gone for the CCBD Air CS - setting up via App - work in progress.
photo

What size is this frame? I've not seen one without a gap in the TT-ST triangle before.

It's a SMALL mate. Love it

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 22:15 Quote
Building a teal mega next week cant wait

What dropper posts do people rec?

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 22:21 Quote
bart-666 wrote:

I'd try a xfusion manic. Pinkbike just did a review of which they had no problems. The best thing is, if there is a problem, just replace the entire sealed cartridge for $25.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 22:49 Quote
photo

Changed the fork to a stealthy Pike Smile

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 0:20 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
bart-666 wrote:

I'd try a xfusion manic. Pinkbike just did a review of which they had no problems. The best thing is, if there is a problem, just replace the entire sealed cartridge for $25.

Cheers

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 14:22 Quote
bart-666 wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:
bart-666 wrote:

Cheers
I also have a Manic. Nice and solid. I've had it for about two months.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 3:43 Quote
Does anyone know where to get a replacement m6 150mm hex socket bolt that retains the front wheel axle ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022009
Mobile Version of Website