Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 9:27 Quote
Honestly on both of those topics, i'm cool with it the way that it is.

The suspension with the stock shock really does perform very well. I think it is very linear, which ultimately I think really suits the bike. Its a long stable bike that really wants you to let off the brakes and let it shoot through the chunder and blast over the gnar, under those circumstances I think the stock shock performs very very well after adding a couple of bands.

On the water bottle... I thought I would HATE having it on the downtube like that, but it turns out that i think it works really well, and I dig that it keeps the center of gravity so low. Using those camelback water bottles, they have a very good nozzle design and dirt turns out to be a non issue, they squirt water without spraying any junk into your mouth, in fact the exposed part of the nozzle remains dry even after a drink.

I run a small dakine butt-pack and carry two of those small bottles, seams to be enough for me even longish rides.

Took a pack on the heli drop though, as i needed beer storage for chilling at the lake.

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 10:39 Quote
Euroford,

Killer write-up on the Mega. I totally agree with you a 100%! It is a dream bike that does not destroy the wallet and it is so cool having the only Mega on the trail.

It sounds like you have put your Mega through the paces. How is everything holding up? Have you serviced your linkage bearings yet?

Travel66,

Thanks for the water bottle tip!

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 12:15 Quote
Its holding up very very well, no signs of fatigue or real problems with bearings/pivots. I did when it was out on its first couple of laps have a minor creek at the main pivot, I gave it a quick snug-up and have had no further issues. Thanks for asking as I had forgotten about that. I think I read somewhere that some frames didn't have the correct thread locker installed from the factory, maybe I had one of those but again i'll emphasize that this was a very minor creek, solved with a 1/4 turn of a wrench.

When the snow does fly out here and I start ridding the Icelantic's again, I will do a complete 100% teardown/clean/rebuild including bearing service or replacement. Looking through Strava, I've logged 404 miles so far, plus probably another 20% non-tracked rides, so yeah i'd say its been put through its paces, especially considering how much of this is lift served and shuttled.

Further on durability, I've collected more than a couple of scratches from some crashes, and a fair bit carnage from packing a ton of bikes on the tailgate while shuttling. As far as this goes, I have to say there are definite advantages to running an aluminum frame! crash/shuttle/airline damage is purely cosmetic, while all of my carbon framed buddies have significantly more stress about this sort of thing.

On our recent PNW trip, one guy tomahawked an Evil Insurgent into a tree necessitating a new rear triangle and a Transition Patrol's front triangle was wrecked while flying home when the TSA incorrectly repackaged the Thule hard case after inspection. That sort of thing is a lot less of a concern with the aluminum frame!

All that to say... I'll still seriously consider an upgrade when the 2018 carbon models start shipping, particularly if Nukeproof doesn't go with boost spacing and manages to trim some more weight out of it.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
can the Mega 275 2017 Medium, take a 150mm dropper? or even 170mm?

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 22:14 Quote
MattyPugh wrote:
can the Mega 275 2017 Medium, take a 150mm dropper? or even 170mm?

Yeah mine has e13 150mm dropper

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 5:21 Quote
For guys on the XL Mega 290 this may be helpful. I worked them out based on what I could find so do double check

Sslammed heights for various longer droppers:

Bike yoke 160 appears to have just 40.5mm.
The KS Lev Ci 175 comes in at 49mm and the KS Integra 175 at 50mm.
The 9.8 175/200 posts comes in at 60mm.
A 150 or 170 reverb has slammed height of 65mm bottom of collar to seat rail.

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 7:17 Quote
That's good info for everyone mate, good job!!

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
ThomDawson wrote:
That's good info for everyone mate, good job!!

The bike yoke 185 is 41.7mm....but TF don't have on website...buy direct?

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 20:09 Quote
Nukeproof site is currently half offline so I guess we're about to finally meet the megas that people who aren't Sam Hill can ride!

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 0:12 Quote
remote-local wrote:
Nukeproof site is currently half offline so I guess we're about to finally meet the megas that people who aren't Sam Hill can ride!

Your dead right pal tup

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/09/finally-nukeproof-release-mega-carbon-enduro-bike/

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 1:48 Quote
hi there, my bro has just purchased a 2016 mega 275 xl, now he loves this bike but being 6 foot 5" and 20 stone he's struggling with the air shock, is there an upgrade to the monarch for the slightly heavier boys ????
thanks in advance jays

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 2:01 Quote
rssmotorx wrote:
hi there, my bro has just purchased a 2016 mega 275 xl, now he loves this bike but being 6 foot 5" and 20 stone he's struggling with the air shock, is there an upgrade to the monarch for the slightly heavier boys ????
thanks in advance jays
Hey mate, that was my bike :-) the monarch has 4 volume bands in it at the no, you can go up to 9 to help it ramp up, but I ran a cane creek double barrel coil on it and it was loads better. At his weight I would definitely look at a coil. Hope he gets on well with it

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 2:03 Quote
nice one bud, yeah he loves the bike but being a slightly bigger guy he struggles with the rear air, I'll have a look for a spring shock for him, cheers jays

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 3:30 Quote
rssmotorx wrote:
thanks in advance jays

I an on an XL and have been running a CCDB Air with a normal can on it. The tuning range is enormous and I have run it from super progressive to very supple. This opens up the use of the bike.

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 13:42 Quote
what do you weigh though mate, he's 20 stone and the shock rc3 has little to no travel @ 200psi

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020282
Mobile Version of Website