Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
browner wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:
Hi guys, anybody running a 2019 mega 275 with the deluxe rc3? I set up initially with 30% sag which felt amazing, super supple and loads of traction, only thing was I bottomed out multiple times per run on small stuff. Upping to 25% sag sorts out the bottoming out too often issue but doesn't feel anywhere near as good.

Does the shock come installed with any spacers as standard? I have some on hand to install but wondered if this is normal based on what you guys were running?

75-80kg fully kitted up by the way, riding mostly enduro/DH tracks
People have had this issue almost weekly in this thread with all the megas since 2016. Spacer reduces your midstroke but solves bottoming, running proper sag feels good but is ultimately unusable, and most people recommend pumping up the shock and just trying to ride harder. There are some far more detailed posts which explain this better than I can further up the thread. I recommend riding the shock as much as poss to see if you accept the compromise or buying a shock with better compression adjustments; air or coil.

I just ordered the new megneg aircan for my 2018 mega 290. I have high hopes it should help with these issues. Will report once I get some ride time with it.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
flatlander99 wrote:
browner wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:
Hi guys, anybody running a 2019 mega 275 with the deluxe rc3? I set up initially with 30% sag which felt amazing, super supple and loads of traction, only thing was I bottomed out multiple times per run on small stuff. Upping to 25% sag sorts out the bottoming out too often issue but doesn't feel anywhere near as good.

Does the shock come installed with any spacers as standard? I have some on hand to install but wondered if this is normal based on what you guys were running?

People have had this issue almost weekly in this thread with all the megas since 2016. Spacer reduces your midstroke but solves bottoming, running proper sag feels good but is ultimately unusable, and most people recommend pumping up the shock and just trying to ride harder. There are some far more detailed posts which explain this better than I can further up the thread. I recommend riding the shock as much as poss to see if you accept the compromise or buying a shock with better compression adjustments; air or coil.

I just ordered the new megneg aircan for my 2018 mega 290. I have high hopes it should help with these issues. Will report once I get some ride time with it.

Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting that this is a common issue, is there anything a tune can do? Shim stack adjustment etc.

Currently off the bike with a ruptured spleen but will be riding as much as possible once back, hopefully can find some settings I like without sending the shock off

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
hstenner1 wrote:
flatlander99 wrote:
browner wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting that this is a common issue, is there anything a tune can do? Shim stack adjustment etc.

Currently off the bike with a ruptured spleen but will be riding as much as possible once back, hopefully can find some settings I like without sending the shock off

It’s the same kind of issue the Santa Cruz bikes suffered from in the past. A tune from a good tune shop could improve things, a good one. I.e not TF. It needs more support in the middle basically which can be difficult to achieve. We run ours with lower sag and I’m happy with it, try not to get hung up on 30% being the be all and end all for sag. Ours still feels plenty supple to me. Also running more compression damping will help it feel more supportive (I run the mid setting on jumpy trails) but it’s a bit of a blunt solution. If it were my one bike I’d put a coil on it no question. I’ve done that on one in the past and it was a vast improvement I thought.
Actually does anyone know if a Super Deluxe coil fits the newer ones?

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Why not tf?, just interested as to why, they’ve always been top notch for me

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
spencer81 wrote:
Why not tf?, just interested as to why, they’ve always been top notch for me

Well it was just a little dig at them because I don’t like them but if you really wanna know:

Everything I’ve sent them has come back worse than when it left me. Quoted prices increased and they tried to hold my property ransom. Talk to me like I’m a kid without a clue on the phone...blaming me for their mistakes. They can’t even get simple services right, I wouldn’t expect them to even get close trying to hone in a very specific shock tune. I have no idea how they became so well known, I can only imagine at the time of their growth there was nobody else doing what they do. Thankfully now there are plenty of good tuners around who often come in cheaper, do a better job and actually know how to speak to customers.
But hey, I’m just one guy they tried to screw over.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 21:48 Quote
browner wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:

I have ccdb cs coil on my 2017 275 mega and now running 350lbs MRP progressive spring, so far very good experience with it. Don't need to put too much highspeed compression to avoid bottoming out and small bump compliance is awesome. Now waiting for öhlins ttx to arrive...

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
Inclag wrote:
photo

Added a 180mm shaft to the fork. Will keep it air for now as I have limited time to do a ghetto coil upgrade.

Got some more running changes planned, but yea. 176mm x 180mm Mega 290 will be fun....

I want to hear about this one! I've ran a 180mm fork from when I bought the frame in December and love it. But 176mm on the back? Wowzers!!!

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 5:33 Quote
I’ve been running a mega 290 for a couple of months now and generally have been quite happy with the bike but like many I’ve been struggling to get happy with the rear super deluxe it came with, I’m having to run rebound nearly full fast and it’s really still not that fast feeling but Ive had a few instances of feet blowing off pedals in rough sections that have baffled me and I’ve never had that problem before, I’ve rode for 20 odd years now so I’m not a noob lol, it just seems a strange quirk in really repeated chunky hits even with the heels down it’s tight going. I’ve tried 150psi and it still happens but I’m back to 165psi now as it was just too soft feeling, slower rebound makes
No difference either, I weigh 155lbs so not too heavy on the bike. I’m thinking either try and Vorsprung tractive time or maybe just stick a coil on? Any other guys came up against this sort of feeling with the shock?

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
michaelbevege wrote:
Did you get this fixed?

Yes the new rockshox have a removable bolted on base / bearing housing so it may be loose on the shock body
deadpool2e wrote:
pacificnorthwet wrote:

Like the lower shock bushing? I think it actually uses bearings if I remember correctly, but either way I thought I blew through mine when some play developed and it was actually just that the bolt was loose. There is a little hidden bolt on the bottom of the shock that got loose, I don't know what it's called, but I couldn't see it till I pulled the shock off. Maybe it's just that?

Cheers man I will check that as well.

Yes that worked. Thanks guys.

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
I feel sorry for all you lighter riders. I'm currently at 102kg/225lbs (probably about 110kg/242lbs with my gear and pack on) and my rear shock feels great (2018 275 comp with a Super Deluxe). I'm running it at 250PSI, 3 clicks out from fast and I'm pretty sure there are no tokens in it. It feels great everywhere. I wouldn't mind doing something about repeated small hits like braking bumps and rooty sections on my Yari but there are loads of options for that. Looks like being a heavier rider might be a benefit with the Super Deluxe!

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 14:44 Quote
ok so I was dead set on a mega comp 290 and chain reaction is out of stock in xl and can not tell me when available again. should I go ahead and get the 275 instead. coming off a 26er.

thoughts?

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 19:36 Quote
turfbike wrote:
ok so I was dead set on a mega comp 290 and chain reaction is out of stock in xl and can not tell me when available again. should I go ahead and get the 275 instead. coming off a 26er.

thoughts?

Personally, wheel size isn't that much of a big deal - but it is a hot topic and does keep the industry quite happy as it's the shiniest and newest. I got the 290 not because it was a 29er but because it was really cheap in the sale. The 275 will be more than enough bike and the 290 is in no way better or worse. They will have small characteristics and quirks but neither will hold you back. Elliot Heap and Sam Hill have been doing fine on the 275 for a couple of years and Kelan Grant has made a good start on the 290 this year.

I think frame sizing will be more important than wheel size. Do you upsize for stability or keep it a regular size for agility? I'm 5,10" and have a medium and it feels fun and really agile. It gets a little wild on high-speed straights, but that's something I can live with (and hopefully improve on). I'd be interested to try the large just to know but I'm happy as a clam on my current setup.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
flatlander99 wrote:
browner wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:

where did you order your megneg from..??

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
Rags110 wrote:
flatlander99 wrote:
browner wrote:

where did you order your megneg from..??

I ordered it from bike-components.de, but looks like it's not listed on their site currently..

rs part number for the mega 290 can is 00.4318.028.000

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 1:21 Quote
Nice one...been looking at where i can get one,noones got them for sale in uk yet

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011500
Mobile Version of Website