Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
buttmonkey5000 wrote:
Looking at a mega 275 but worried it won't climb as good as my remedy, I'd keep the remedy but I'm between sizes with trek and the mega looks spot on at 470 reach on a large.

My mate has a remedy and I have a mega and I'd say the mega climbs way better and the geo is more current too. You can always reach for the cheat switch if its bobbing too much but I generally don't have to.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 23:49 Quote
I work as a m mechanic in a trek dealer and have ridden one on many occasions and I could have got one staff perchase price but I own a mega sooo. I think it's fine there will be a slight difference but nothing massive

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 23:58 Quote
Have ridden the Remedy and owned a few Mega’s.
Depending on the models and build kits we’re comparing the Trek may come in a little lighter but personally I think the seated climbing position of the Mega is quite a lot better than the Remedy.
The Mega is a very good climber, despite being a beast on the descents.
I’d say you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 3:10 Quote
Hmmm that's good to hear, I'd take a slight decrease on uphill to gain alot on the downs, the other bike that high on my list is the transition patrol as it can take a water bottle which is a huge plus to me but the megas win on value...

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
2018 Nukeproof Mega 275 Comp

Finally finished all the planned (and some unplanned) incremental upgrades to my 2018 275 comp today. Went with some DT Swiss EX511's laced to some Hope Pro 4 hubs front and rear after putting a huge dent in the stock rear wheel on a bikepark trip at the end of last year. Put some Barbieri Anaconda inserts in to protect the rim a bit too and went a size wider up to 2.5 on the high Roller II's.

Previous upgrades include:

Magura MT5 brakes with 200mm rotors front and rear
Brand X Ascend 170mm dropper (stock was 125mm on a size large for this model year)
Sunrace 11-46 cassette
30T front chainring
XT shifter
Truvativ Descendant 800mm bars
DMR V12 pedals
ODI Rogue grips
Marsh guard

This is by far the best full suspension bike I've had and flatters my abilities quite a lot. Had some great times in some bikeparks last year (Revolution freeride line was a definite highlight!) and am looking forward to more now I've got brakes that work and wheels I trust!

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
brigand wrote:
Do you happen to know the part number of the shims you used, is it SC Bronson shimstack?

Could be, it was a take off, don't recall what it was off of and it's not marked on the can as to what it is. Here is the main shim stack. I removed the ring shim and moved the 16mm to the top of the stack on the rebound side. This made it so I have to run the rebound adjuster much more closed. (4 vs 11 clicks from full slow)

I also changed the base valve, this is just from memory though. The "piston" is dished like 0.4mm, I moved a small diameter shim to under the stack so it cut down the preload to like 0.1mm instead of the 0.4mm. I tried no preload, but the bike was WAY too soft. Pulling on the bars to get the front up off stuff ended up with the back just squatting instead. I just about ended up over the bars on a couple drops because of it, it only lasted half a ride before I switched back to the CCDB coil.

It's still pretty soft, but it is riding better than the stock Monarch+. The base valve stack seems to be on the order of stiffness as the fully open bleed port, as putting it in pedal position changes the bike very little. I think to improve it much more means reducing the bleed size in the base valve so the shim stack can dominate the oil path.

Monarch RC3 shim stack

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 19:09 Quote
serenaur wrote:

Magura MT5 brakes with 200mm rotors front and rear

Thinking of running a 200mm on the rear too. Any clearance issues (i'm on a 290)?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 23:43 Quote
Mfro wrote:
Thinking of running a 200mm on the rear too. Any clearance issues (i'm on a 290)?

None whatsoever on my 275, loads of clearance.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
MikeG156 wrote:
brigand wrote:
Do you happen to know the part number of the shims you used, is it SC Bronson shimstack?

Could be, it was a take off, don't recall what it was off of and it's not marked on the can as to what it is. Here is the main shim stack. I removed the ring shim and moved the 16mm to the top of the stack on the rebound side. This made it so I have to run the rebound adjuster much more closed. (4 vs 11 clicks from full slow)

I also changed the base valve, this is just from memory though. The "piston" is dished like 0.4mm, I moved a small diameter shim to under the stack so it cut down the preload to like 0.1mm instead of the 0.4mm. I tried no preload, but the bike was WAY too soft. Pulling on the bars to get the front up off stuff ended up with the back just squatting instead. I just about ended up over the bars on a couple drops because of it, it only lasted half a ride before I switched back to the CCDB coil.

It's still pretty soft, but it is riding better than the stock Monarch+. The base valve stack seems to be on the order of stiffness as the fully open bleed port, as putting it in pedal position changes the bike very little. I think to improve it much more means reducing the bleed size in the base valve so the shim stack can dominate the oil path.

Monarch RC3 shim stack

Great, thanx. I'm saving this for end of the season service! Big Grin

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
Anyone had issues with the Yari forks?
I seem to be about 15mm short on travel.
When I let the air out the fork doesn't bottom out and still has about 15mm travel - can feel them bounce.
I assume this is air in the negative side of the spring - how can I get it out?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 1:55 Quote
DirkPitt74 wrote:
When I let the air out the fork doesn't bottom out and still has about 15mm travel - can feel them bounce.

That is normal. There's the air in the lowers that makes them bounce back up a bit. Not a problem if you can bottom out the fork by pushing on them.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 5:33 Quote
buttmonkey5000 wrote:
Hmmm that's good to hear, I'd take a slight decrease on uphill to gain alot on the downs, the other bike that high on my list is the transition patrol as it can take a water bottle which is a huge plus to me but the megas win on value...

A friend of mine has just moved from a mk1 patrol to the new Mega 29er and he reckons the mega pedals a lot better (with the shock open). The new patrol might be better at pedalling than the old one though.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
flatlander99 wrote:
DirkPitt74 wrote:

That is normal. There's the air in the lowers that makes them bounce back up a bit. Not a problem if you can bottom out the fork by pushing on them.

You can let air in/out by flipping the bike upside down and sliding the lowers off the air shaft and damping shaft (only as much as necessary which is a few millimetres) as if you were going to remove them completely. I had the opposite issue with my lyrik where the air pressure in the lowers was below the ambient air pressure so the fork was being sucked down by 10mm, stopping me getting full travel.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
brigand wrote:
MikeG156 wrote:
brigand wrote:

Could be, it was a take off, don't recall what it was off of and it's not marked on the can as to what it is.

Looked at my notes and it looks like it was a SC Nomad take off, likely just based on what was noted in the Pinkbike ad when I bought it. Serial number is 23 month of 2014, so it was likely a 2015/2016 Nomad 3.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
MikeG156 wrote:
brigand wrote:
MikeG156 wrote:

Could be, it was a take off, don't recall what it was off of and it's not marked on the can as to what it is.

Looked at my notes and it looks like it was a SC Nomad take off, likely just based on what was noted in the Pinkbike ad when I bought it. Serial number is 23 month of 2014, so it was likely a 2015/2016 Nomad 3.

Thanx! SC had similar leverage rate shape so that should be it! Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013649
Mobile Version of Website