Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 3:10 Quote
Anyway what I actually came here to ask about was mulleting the mega 290.
I'm interested in trying a 27.5" wheel on the back to give me a bit more clearance in the bike park.
Has anyone tried simply running a 27.5" wheel and not changing anything else?
I have calculated that changing from the stock 210x55 shock to a legacy 216x63 would as near as makes no difference maintain the stock geometry. It would increase travel to 172mm approx... Which brings into question the clearance of that seatstay bridge on the back of the seat tube.
Any tips from experience?

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
Don't think changing shock will increase travel as surely you will be limited by the linkage.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
I tried a 216mm x 63 and it was perfectly fine, no clearance issues whatsoever, getting the shock tune right is critical though, I had a fast suspension holy grail coil which I just couldn’t get feeling how I wanted but the bike was a monster truck with that shock, complete weapon, go for it!

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 17:27 Quote
jaame wrote:
I'm interested in trying a 27.5" wheel on the back to give me a bit more clearance in the bike park.
I have calculated that changing from the stock 210x55 shock to a legacy 216x63 would as near as makes no difference maintain the stock geometry. It would increase travel to 172mm approx... Which brings into question the clearance of that seatstay bridge on the back of the seat tube.

I did this with my 290 except I'm running the 29er still. Brace doesn't hit the seat tube. I forget the precise measurements, but the minimum eye to eye is in the thread I believe. I figured this out at some point but can't recall off the top of my head the precise number.

I got a DVO Jade. Works well. Definitely gets the bike to DH territory.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 18:39 Quote
Inclag wrote:
jaame wrote:

I did this with my 290 except I'm running the 29er still. Brace doesn't hit the seat tube. I forget the precise measurements, but the minimum eye to eye is in the thread I believe. I figured this out at some point but can't recall off the top of my head the precise number.

I got a DVO Jade. Works well. Definitely gets the bike to DH territory.

This definitely opens some options up for aftermarket shocks. Hard to find 210x55 in my area but lots of 216. Just upped my fork to 170 so going to 172ish in the rear might do me well.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 20:17 Quote
Ive got a 2018 mega 290, thinking of trying a 27.5 rear wheel anyone know the widest tire i can use

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 23:52 Quote
I keep meaning to find the Transition owners forum but as an aside a 216x63 shock also fits the Transition Scout with no problems and bumps travel to ~150mm, lifts the super low BB a little and you can bump the fork up to maintain all other angles. I expected to have to fit offset bushings but it’s fine (better) without.

I suspect there are probably a few bikes with a stock 210x55 shock that you can squeeze a 216 into.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 0:35 Quote
Certainly there will be no clearance problems at the top because it’s only a 6mm difference. I was worried about at bottom out because fully compressed a 216x63 is 153mm long, whereas the 210x55 is 165mm long. I'm happy to hear it doesn't have clearance problems. I would go for a DHX2 if I did it. I will have to look for a used one.

Regards the 275 max width, I don't think it will be limited. I run 2.3s which are 57mm wide and there is almost 1cm clearance in all four stays. I bet a 2.8 would go in, if you wanted to use one.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 3:58 Quote
You can definitely throw a 275 wheel in the 290 for DH and shuttles. It puts everything slacker but that's no big deal when riding DH. Wouldn't worry about correcting geometry either. It's hardly a 20" wheel being chucked in there.

On a further point, a lot of people have been using a 216mm shock in the frame with no issues. I think it increases travel by 20mm. Plus I think the Nukeproof lot must know, or regularly drop in here, because Sam Hill does the same on his new carbon 290 by running a longer than stock shock.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
Anyone with a megneg, does it increase volume of the positive chamber as well?

I really want to use more of my rear travel, but at the same time maintain a minimum of 30% sag, no more.

Currently running 192 psi, and weigh around 180lbs, gives me about 27% seated sag. Bike feels good, but Im bothered by not using travel lol.

Hoping spring rate balance is still off, and maybe a volume spacer up front will give the rear the extra push it needs to access deep travel.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
skerby wrote:

I really want to use more of my rear travel, but at the same time maintain a minimum of 30% sag, no more.

Currently running 192 psi, and weigh around 180lbs, gives me about 27% seated sag. Bike feels good, but Im bothered by not using travel lol.

Hoping spring rate balance is still off, and maybe a volume spacer up front will give the rear the extra push it needs to access deep travel.

Do not let how much travel you are using dictate how you set up your suspension. Vorsprung have an excellent video on the topic that you can see here.

In short your number one concern should be setting up your bike in such a way that it pedals well and maintains traction on the way up, on the way down you do not want to be blowing through your travel on every bump instead you want to stay in the mid to upper mid stroke only entering the ending stroke when things go south. If things feel good and you aren't getting beat up by your suspension there is a good chance its set up correctly and you just aren't getting into situations where you need to use the last xx% of the travel.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
skerby wrote:

Do not let how much travel you are using dictate how you set up your suspension. Vorsprung have an excellent video on the topic that you can see here.

In short your number one concern should be setting up your bike in such a way that it pedals well and maintains traction on the way up, on the way down you do not want to be blowing through your travel on every bump instead you want to stay in the mid to upper mid stroke only entering the ending stroke when things go south. If things feel good and you aren't getting beat up by your suspension there is a good chance its set up correctly and you just aren't getting into situations where you need to use the last xx% of the travel.

Thanks for the advice man. I have been using the shock o-ring as my only source of data for way too long. I have a pretty good idea of what I want my fork to do, but if I run my shock too soft (this is a given if I want full travel) the fork beats me up a lot worse. Spring rate balance is really important.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
On the topic of putting 216x63mm shocks into the new 29er, anyone in North America have a coil shock they would sell me? Ship to canada?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
I'm thinking about upgrading my Mega 275 Super Deluxe Shock with a MegNeg aircan. Is it worth the money? What changes are noticeable? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 23:19 Quote
JoeHigashi80 wrote:
I'm thinking about upgrading my Mega 275 Super Deluxe Shock with a MegNeg aircan. Is it worth the money? What changes are noticeable? Thanks.

Its much better than stock, small bump is increased and ramps up better. best upgrade i have done so far on mine.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012139
Mobile Version of Website