Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Heres my 290 with the new Vivid. Mounted it without offset bushings, no clearance issues. With a 170 fork the head angle is stock 66, bb height seems to have gone up only a few mm. Have yet to ride it on trail but based on a pedal around it doesn’t feel all that different, but the first ride will tell.

What tune do you have on the Vivid and have you heard any suggestions which one would suit the Mega? I currently have the MM tune on it and am trying to figure out if I should have it re-shimmed and to what tune...

Regarding the discussion around Mavic wheels above: sell them while you can and get something else.

I snapped a single spoke on my Deemax Elites in August and it took me over a month of arguing to get it fixed. The Deemax Elite has straight pull spokes and the hub won't fit any other brand of spokes that I could find (tried 10+ different ones at 3 different bike shops). Spare spokes are also impossible to source as Mavic doesn't provide them for resellers. None of the local Mavic dealers also had any OEM spares and told me Mavic hasn't sent out any in months. This resulted in me having to send the entire wheel to Mavic. Their policy is to replace all the spokes and do not provide you with extra ones in case you need them. I didn't accept this. Their "fix" ended up being to send me a brand new rear wheel which I think was a nice result. Think about the absurdity of this for a while though. Especially if you don't live near a Mavic dealer and especially if you race the bike.

Needless to say I don't have Mavic wheels any more. Replaced them with a pair of custom DT350 + Flow EX3's and a set of E1700's as a spare.

Sorry for the rant, this just brought up some supressed memories.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
JaanusQll wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:
Heres my 290 with the new Vivid. Mounted it without offset bushings, no clearance issues. With a 170 fork the head angle is stock 66, bb height seems to have gone up only a few mm. Have yet to ride it on trail but based on a pedal around it doesn’t feel all that different, but the first ride will tell.

What tune do you have on the Vivid and have you heard any suggestions which one would suit the Mega? I currently have the MM tune on it and am trying to figure out if I should have it re-shimmed and to what tune...

Regarding the discussion around Mavic wheels above: sell them while you can and get something else.

I snapped a single spoke on my Deemax Elites in August and it took me over a month of arguing to get it fixed. The Deemax Elite has straight pull spokes and the hub won't fit any other brand of spokes that I could find (tried 10+ different ones at 3 different bike shops). Spare spokes are also impossible to source as Mavic doesn't provide them for resellers. None of the local Mavic dealers also had any OEM spares and told me Mavic hasn't sent out any in months. This resulted in me having to send the entire wheel to Mavic. Their policy is to replace all the spokes and do not provide you with extra ones in case you need them. I didn't accept this. Their "fix" ended up being to send me a brand new rear wheel which I think was a nice result. Think about the absurdity of this for a while though. Especially if you don't live near a Mavic dealer and especially if you race the bike.

Needless to say I don't have Mavic wheels any more. Replaced them with a pair of custom DT350 + Flow EX3's and a set of E1700's as a spare.

I hear you, that sounds awful. I had kind of hoped that a normal bladed spoke would fit, but you confirmed my worst fears. I guess I should start looking for replacement spokes now lol. I live in the states and Im pretty sure warranty is not an option for me.

These wheels are basically what sold me on the bike. I would have gotten the fox version if not for this, and I paid dearly already as the lyrik RC was a horrible fork. I bought Push HC97 damper, but have been too lazy to install because my 36 feels awesome on this bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
skerby wrote:
JaanusQll wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:

I hear you, that sounds awful. I had kind of hoped that a normal bladed spoke would fit, but you confirmed my worst fears. I guess I should start looking for replacement spokes now lol. I live in the states and Im pretty sure warranty is not an option for me.

These wheels are basically what sold me on the bike. I would have gotten the fox version if not for this, and I paid dearly already as the lyrik RC was a horrible fork. I bought Push HC97 damper, but have been too lazy to install because my 36 feels awesome on this bike.
Yea I second this, the wheels are awesome but I do fear the day I need a replacement. Replacing the freehub I think I got lucky, my local Mavic dealer happened to have one in the back, although spokes may be a different story.

I assume that if you broke a spoke or another freehub you could scrap the hub and put the rim onto say a Hope or any other brand of hub? As long as the rim is in good shape. Time to keep my eyes out for another hub/wheelset.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
JaanusQll wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:

In regards to the tune on the Vivid, it's an MM. Haven't ridden the shock on trail yet but after getting the spring and doing some fiddling with the adjusters it feels close to good.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
My new toy
My new toy

Wow. Nice rig. Size medium ? GOt more pics? Interested in the same model in that size..

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 6:28 Quote
Hey guys! I'm looking to get a Mega TR this weekend - quick question on sizing and frames as I can't seem to find this anywhere. I've found a lightly used one and the owner says is 16" - is that a Medium in Nukeproof/MegaTR's? My Merida OneTwenty Medium was 17". I'm 5'7" so need something that's spot on Smile

Cheers!

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
SithSurfer wrote:
Hey guys! I'm looking to get a Mega TR this weekend - quick question on sizing and frames as I can't seem to find this anywhere. I've found a lightly used one and the owner says is 16" - is that a Medium in Nukeproof/MegaTR's? My Merida OneTwenty Medium was 17". I'm 5'7" so need something that's spot on Smile

Cheers!

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10147439/

One way to tell without a tape measure is the small frame didn’t have a gusset on the seat tube above the top tube. The medium did.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
iqbal-achieve wrote:
SithSurfer wrote:

Cheers!

One way to tell without a tape measure is the small frame didn’t have a gusset on the seat tube above the top tube. The medium did.

Ah so this looks like a Medium then: https://ibb.co/nRqGn06

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
SithSurfer wrote:
iqbal-achieve wrote:
SithSurfer wrote:

Cheers!

That looks like a large to me but I’m not 100%

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
iqbal-achieve wrote:
SithSurfer wrote:
iqbal-achieve wrote:

That looks like a large to me but I’m not 100%
Got ya, the chap selling it isn't sure as he's away with work and I think it was an impulse purchase for him from a mate... who got it as an impulse purchase too Big Grin He said he's pretty sure the frame is about 16" so well see, it's an 120 mile trip one way to see it so I want to gauge as much info as possible before traveling. Besides, aren't TR frames slightly smaller than AM's? I'm so out of loop right now after owning one bike for 5 years it's insane Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 2:57 Quote
jaame wrote:
How do you guys rate the Mavic Deemax Elite wheelset?

They look really cool. My stock Nukeproof Neutron wheels are garbage. Am thinking about getting some Deemax Elites.

Been using deemax elite for year now and those are great!

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Sweet ride, have you ever thought on making it mullet? Wondering how the geo and bb drop would be afected by using a 27.5 on the back after the shock switch.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
legionmtb wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:
Sweet ride, have you ever thought on making it mullet? Wondering how the geo and bb drop would be afected by using a 27.5 on the back after the shock switch.
I can’t say I didn’t consider it, but after taking it for its first ride this weekend I don’t think I will. Not to say you couldn’t.

Took it out for a 30km ride yesterday with about 1200m of climbing. The géo felt quite similar to stock, it didn’t feel too high or unstable. There were a few sections where I’d normally hit bb on a rock roll but I guess the slight raise kept me over it. I found this bike stock to be so low even with shorter cranks I would hit rocks constantly, didn’t seem to hit much this time around. The added travel makes the bike feel bottomless and the added small bump sensitivity made climbing tech a breeze. Really don’t see a need for a climb switch with this setup.

Considering putting a 2mm offset bushing in the top eyelet and a needle bearing in the bottom. Although at this point the offset bushing almost seems unnecessary.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
Does any one know what will happen if I put a 210x60mm shock onto a 2019 Mega 290? Will I just get a little more travel out the back?

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 2:00 Quote
Camber wrote:
Does any one know what will happen if I put a 210x60mm shock onto a 2019 Mega 290? Will I just get a little more travel out the back?

No not sure, I’d be interested to know if it would work though. Might work with a lower volume tyre at the back if it’s tight. If the tyre does not hit the seat tube I can’t see any disadvantages. Also think this is a much better idea than the people on here putting old 216x63 shocks on there new bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009515
Mobile Version of Website