Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
lbizzle123 wrote:
Camber wrote:
Does any one know what will happen if I put a 210x60mm shock onto a 2019 Mega 290? Will I just get a little more travel out the back?

No not sure, I’d be interested to know if it would work though. Might work with a lower volume tyre at the back if it’s tight. If the tyre does not hit the seat tube I can’t see any disadvantages. Also think this is a much better idea than the people on here putting old 216x63 shocks on there new bikes.
216 works great and you won’t hit the seat stay bridge on your seat tube.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
I think the main reason is that legacy sizes are easier to find on the cheap.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
jaame wrote:
I think the main reason is that legacy sizes are easier to find on the cheap.
Yeah definitely. I understand wanting to try a coil, I currently have one fitted to my 290 but don’t understand fitting one which too long and steepening the geometry.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
Too long... But also more travel...

They want to change it from 150mm to 170+ I think it's the bigger incentive.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
MikeG156 wrote:

I tried it because I found a 216/63 for cheap, it works really well as long as you have a 170 fork up front. With the 170 fork your HA is 65.5/65 depending on tires, and then with the longer shock out back that brings you back to stock. I worried about bb height being an issue and the bike feeling tall but on a ride I noticed zero negatives, bike felt the same handling and geometry wise plus the benefits and traction of a cool.

And yes the increase in travel makes the bike feel like a DH rig.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 0:05 Quote
[Quote="maxwharin1"]
MikeG156 wrote:

DH bikes haven’t had a 66 degree head angle since the early 2000’s. The higher bottom bracket won’t help either. Have you thought about trying an angle headset to slacken it off a little?

Could always fit a vintage 222x70 coil if travel is more important than anything else

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
210x60 even a thing?
I thought 210x55 was the longest the 210 normal eyelet mount shocks went to??

Nothing wrong with non metric shocks

And the longer shock is probably no different at sag provided you’re using an appropriate fork
Moar travel = moar better.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:09 Quote
iqbal-achieve wrote:
210x60 even a thing?

And the longer shock is probably no different at sag provided you’re using an appropriate fork

I agree nothing wrong with non metric shocks.

Yes 210x60 shocks are available. There’s even older ones around from trek frames a few years ago if your looking for something cheaper. I’d like too try one.

Moar travel = moar better. This maybe true go for it

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
lbizzle123 wrote:
iqbal-achieve wrote:
210x60 even a thing?

Yes 210x60 shocks are available. There’s even older ones around from trek frames a few years ago if your looking for something cheaper. I’d like too try one.

I can’t find any 210x60 shocks besides reference to some of the proprietary ones made for Trek.
Maybe my google isn’t working.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 3:13 Quote
iqbal-achieve wrote:
lbizzle123 wrote:
iqbal-achieve wrote:
210x60 even a thing?

I can’t find any 210x60 shocks besides reference to some of the proprietary ones made for Trek.
Maybe my google isn’t working.

I’m sure RockShox used to make a 210x60 maybe in the monarch. Could have been for trek I’m not sure. I’m happy running a 210x55 anyway

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 5:14 Quote
Rockshox will make any size a customer requests, but there are minimum orders in play. It is likely that any odd sizes were specific orders for a particular brand, as in the case with Trek here.
They will make forks with 20mm axles if a company orders them in sufficient quantities. Money talks.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Regarding the 216x63 stuff, I just took a little time taking some more precise measurements for reference. My 2018 XL 290 with 180mm fork and Wild Enduro tires measures 13.75-13.8" for BB height and I finally took a magnetic angle finder to the fork vs. a cell phone in a case with an app, and measured it at 64 degrees. Wheelbase is around 51.6" (1310mm).

Personally I'm prefering the added height. Pedal strikes have reduced and when riding downhill I'm liking the increased quickness with steering through high speed opposing corners. The bike doesn't lack in wheelbase especially in XL so it has tons of stability and for me I'm finding that this has made the bike better than the stock geometry.

I'd imagine for the smaller sizes a taller bottom bracket might not jive as well with the shorter wheelbase.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
Hi,

I would like to install a coil damper in my Mega290 XL 2019 because the Rock Shox Deluxe R does not work linear enough for me and is too progressive at the end of the travel. All tokens are out. Which coil damper could you recommend?

I'm 190cm tall and weigh 90kg +
Application Tours 25%, Bikepark 75%.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
iqbal-achieve wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:
Horvathkalman wrote:
lightning issues

What would you choose?

- RS VIvid r2c Coil
- DVO Jade
- Marzo Bomber CR

Vivid

Bomber

Does the Marzocchi Bomber CR work well in Mega 290?
Which tune? M / M?

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
6 foot/6 foot 1" riding buddy is looking at an XL 275 mega 2019, would this be too big?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019483
Mobile Version of Website