Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 4:33 Quote
I've just taken delivery of some new mullet wheels for the Mega. Still waiting for the new tyres, and I'm going to give it a go with the standard shock and just see how she goes. I'll probably increase the pressure a little bit to offset the dropped rear end.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
barch1982 wrote:
Just spent the last few hours reading the past 60 or so pages. Unfortunately I have reached paralysis by analysis. This is aimed towards the US owners. I have had great experiences with my LBS but the Mega has popped up on my radar. I am curious to hear your experiences with direct to buyer purchases have been. I have a 120 travel bike that has me hop, skipping and bouncing all over the place so I'm looking for a much larger travel bike to handle my weight and riding style. I have been very interested in the 2020 Sight, as my current bike is a Norco and they have been great quality and warranty wise. But, judging from what has been written about the Mega makes me very interested. If you guys were to recommend between the two which one would you choose, 290 Expert or 290c Elite? I have been told by multiple people to steer free NX. I have it on my current bike with no problems so far.

I got the 2019 Mega 290 Factory from Wiggle and had it shipped to the States. It showed up with the fork hanging out of the box. To be fair it was damaged in shipping, who knows what the carriers did to it, but Wiggle had not packaged it very well. Dealing with Wiggle was awful, they would not replace the fork. It was damaged at the dropouts, I sent pics, they said it was only cosmetic. Wiggle said that I had to send the whole bike back to get a refund. I contacted Fox and they said the damage was such that it couldn't be warrantied in the future. Instead of dealing with finding a new box, boxing it up again, shipping costs to England and not having a bike for even longer, I sent my fork to FOX to be repaired. They sent me a brand new shiny 36. They were awesome, Wiggle was not. I have seen lots of people having good luck shipping Nukeproofs from Chain Reaction to the US. The bike is AWESOME, I ride an XL and it can handle anything, great bike at an awesome spec, geo and price. It pedals pretty damn well and pushes you to rougher rockier lines which it easily cleans. It wants to go faster than I have the ability to ride at, a bike for your abilities to grow into. Get the bike, just stay away from Wiggle, I only bought from them because Chain Reaction was sold out at the moment and I didn't want to wait, what a mistake.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
rockshins wrote:
barch1982 wrote:
Just spent the last few hours reading the past 60 or so pages. Unfortunately I have reached paralysis by analysis. This is aimed towards the US owners. I have had great experiences with my LBS but the Mega has popped up on my radar. I am curious to hear your experiences with direct to buyer purchases have been. I have a 120 travel bike that has me hop, skipping and bouncing all over the place so I'm looking for a much larger travel bike to handle my weight and riding style. I have been very interested in the 2020 Sight, as my current bike is a Norco and they have been great quality and warranty wise. But, judging from what has been written about the Mega makes me very interested. If you guys were to recommend between the two which one would you choose, 290 Expert or 290c Elite? I have been told by multiple people to steer free NX. I have it on my current bike with no problems so far.

I got the 2019 Mega 290 Factory from Wiggle and had it shipped to the States. It showed up with the fork hanging out of the box. To be fair it was damaged in shipping, who knows what the carriers did to it, but Wiggle had not packaged it very well. Dealing with Wiggle was awful, they would not replace the fork. It was damaged at the dropouts, I sent pics, they said it was only cosmetic. Wiggle said that I had to send the whole bike back to get a refund. I contacted Fox and they said the damage was such that it couldn't be warrantied in the future. Instead of dealing with finding a new box, boxing it up again, shipping costs to England and not having a bike for even longer, I sent my fork to FOX to be repaired. They sent me a brand new shiny 36. They were awesome, Wiggle was not. I have seen lots of people having good luck shipping Nukeproofs from Chain Reaction to the US. The bike is AWESOME, I ride an XL and it can handle anything, great bike at an awesome spec, geo and price. It pedals pretty damn well and pushes you to rougher rockier lines which it easily cleans. It wants to go faster than I have the ability to ride at, a bike for your abilities to grow into. Get the bike, just stay away from Wiggle, I only bought from them because Chain Reaction was sold out at the moment and I didn't want to wait, what a mistake.
In Canada there’s a online distributor for Nukeproof ( Canadacycles.com ). Believe they ship to the US, likely with customs and tariffs but likely less than if you ordered from the UK. Had a great experience ordering my 290 from there. They ship from Vancouver island, had mine at my door on the mainland (Vancouver) in 18 hours. The fellow running it is awesome and always provides quick responses for any questions.

Bike was packaged up sound and secure and was not damaged at all in shipping, although the shipping distance was wayyyyy less than coming from the Uk.

This might be a good option for those of you in the states.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 15:21 Quote
TBF, when you buy from CRC if you're overseas they don't add the 20% Euro VAT on. I know this because I bought tons of stuff from them when I lived in Taiwan. I would be surprised if US taxes were 20%, so whether you get stung for tax or not you're still getting at least as good a deal as Euro based customers.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
If I were to buy the 2020 mega alloy, $4044.99 in Canadian dollars, the duty/shipping would cost another $1088 Cad. Grand total $5132. Would this be the same for euro customers?

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 21:38 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
If I were to buy the 2020 mega alloy, $4044.99 in Canadian dollars, the duty/shipping would cost another $1088 Cad. Grand total $5132. Would this be the same for euro customers?

Since you didn't say which model there are 2 - 4421cad & 5101cad according to Google's exchange rates. Free postage UK. Don't have a Vpn for Europe so can't get their cost. They claim the price does not include 20% vat but what was showing in new Zealand here was only 4.5% less than the UK price.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/pedaloptionz/buysell/

This guy is the US distributor. I'm fairly sure he can match or beat CRCs pricing.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 1:31 Quote
I don’t suppose anyone knows off-hand the minimum Q factor for cranks on the carbon mega 27.5? Thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Between myself and friends, we have had 5 bikes shipped from CRC to the USA. None of them have been damaged in shipping. I don't think it's a huge risk.

CRC did change their shipping back in October though. Used to be free shipping on bikes but my last bike was $50 for shipping. No other customs or taxes though added on beyond the CRC price as they cover it in their end.

We've had a couple parts on the bikes that were damaged though and it worked out well enough. On two separate Megas, the dropper post was stuffed in and kinked the cable housing. CRC had my friends send them a bill from a local shop to fix it and they refunded that amount.

I got a stem that was machined wrong and then the brake lever stop screw was snapped off on a Vitus 20+. They wanted me to send the bike back but I eventually got them to send a $30 replacement stem. Just got the brake lever stop screw out with vise grips and fixed it myself.

I feel like whomever is assembling the bikes there sucks though. I'd go through every bolt and bearing on the bike and make sure it's properly greased and torqued. Found dry bearings and loose/over torqued bolts on every bike from them.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 10:02 Quote
I’ve put a few hours in with the mullet setup and no geometry corrections. The handling changes are what you would expect. It pushes your weight further off the back and of course there are more pedal strikes. Not too bad though.
The biggest difference is how quickly it turns through tight corners. It’s a huge difference in turning speed. Traction doesn’t seem much different.
I haven’t had it down a jump trail yet and catching backsides is my biggest complaint with the 29/29 setup.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 22:09 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2711376/ Hey Guys, If anyone in North America is interested in a 2019 Mega 290 frame..Make me an offer!

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
So just realized my derailleur was flopping around on my Mega, figured I had broken my hanger. Turns out that the tiny allen screw that secures the hanger to the frame was bent in all which ways. The Hanger is fine but the weak aluminum screw needs to be replaced. Going to buy a new hanger but would like to source a stronger screw. Anyone know if there is a steel equivalent that would work? Or just loctite and check from time to time? Has this been an issue for you guys?

Think it's a M4 x 12mm flat head??

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:31 Quote
rockshins wrote:
So just realized my derailleur was flopping around on my Mega, figured I had broken my hanger. Turns out that the tiny allen screw that secures the hanger to the frame was bent in all which ways. The Hanger is fine but the weak aluminum screw needs to be replaced. Going to buy a new hanger but would like to source a stronger screw. Anyone know if there is a steel equivalent that would work? Or just loctite and check from time to time? Has this been an issue for you guys?

Think it's a M4 x 12mm flat head??

Hi

Just fixed same issue from my mega 275 2017. rear axle tightens hanger in place even screw got loose.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
Had the same happen on my carbon rs. A bit of loctite and so far it’s been fine

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014038
Mobile Version of Website