Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
Here's my 2021 Mega 290 built up, out in the North Shore woods. With a quick trigger finger I was able to get one when they first dropped.

Size Large
36 Performance Elite 170mm
Float X2 Factory
Sram/Shimano drivetrain
Code Brakes
OneUp 180mm V2 dropper
SQ Lab saddle and cockpit
Mavic Deemax Elite Wheelset
Wild Enduro tires F/R
Hope Seat post clamp
Mojo Dfender Front mudguard

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Here's my 2021 Mega 290 built up, out in the North Shore woods. With a quick trigger finger I was able to get one when they first dropped.

Size Large
Float X2 Factory
Sram/Shimano drivetrain
Code Brakes
OneUp 180mm V2 dropper
Wild Enduro tires F/R
Hope Seat post clamp
Great build my friend! How are those code brakes

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 16:16 Quote

2020 Nukeproof Scout 275 Expert
Cushcore Pro, AbsoluteBLACK Chain Guide, Bash Guard, 30T Oval Chainring, Muc-Off Tubeless, 160mm Ohlins RXF36 Fork, Deity Grips, All Mountain Headtube Multi Tool, 203mm Shimano Rotor, One Up Pedals, Wolf Tooth Dropper Post Lever
Anything you suggest i should eventually look into getting for the bike? I have a 160mm fox 36 factory grip 2 i am going to install to see how i like it, Save up for a good I9 Hydra? Lmk

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:

Size Large
Float X2 Factory
Sram/Shimano drivetrain
Code Brakes
OneUp 180mm V2 dropper
Wild Enduro tires F/R
Hope Seat post clamp

How you liking the shorter chainstays? Not sure why they tweaked those. I quite like the 455 or so of my 2018. Then again I'm on an XL. My buddy had an XL Process 153 with 425 chainstays for a hot minute. He hated it and I sat on it for a minute as well and woof was it unbalanced. Realize the new Mega isn't that short, but that was a pretty big change

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 21:07 Quote
Inclag wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:

Size Large
Float X2 Factory
Sram/Shimano drivetrain
Code Brakes
OneUp 180mm V2 dropper
Wild Enduro tires F/R
Hope Seat post clamp

How you liking the shorter chainstays? Not sure why they tweaked those. I quite like the 455 or so of my 2018. Then again I'm on an XL. My buddy had an XL Process 153 with 425 chainstays for a hot minute. He hated it and I sat on it for a minute as well and woof was it unbalanced. Realize the new Mega isn't that short, but that was a pretty big change
Yeah I agree, not sure why they would change that, I was definitely a fan of them on my 2019 L, and recently had a Pole Machine with 455's for the summer. It's definitely a noticeable change in my opinion. Lots of steep techy climbs here on the shore and I miss the balanced feel. Although that would have to be my only complaint as of yet, and it's not even really a complaint..

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 0:47 Quote
Black bike pictured in dark greenery. Either I've got effin blind or, could you find a white wall or smth..or some snow. Big Grin

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
eugenux wrote:
Back bike pictured in dark greenery. Either I've got effin blind or, could you find a white wall or smth..or some snow. Big Grin
It's the shore! Everything is dark and green, I can barely see where I'm going when I ride!

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
hey guys just wanted to know if anyone knew if you can mullet a Nukeproof mega 290 or 275, because im looking to do a build and that's my idea.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Inclag wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:

Size Large
Float X2 Factory
Sram/Shimano drivetrain
Code Brakes
OneUp 180mm V2 dropper
Wild Enduro tires F/R
Hope Seat post clamp

Yeah I agree, not sure why they would change that, I was definitely a fan of them on my 2019 L, and recently had a Pole Machine with 455's for the summer. It's definitely a noticeable change in my opinion. Lots of steep techy climbs here on the shore and I miss the balanced feel. Although that would have to be my only complaint as of yet, and it's not even really a complaint..
But how is it on the downs, and in corners?

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
Angusaa wrote:
hey guys just wanted to know if anyone knew if you can mullet a Nukeproof mega 290 or 275, because im looking to do a build and that's my idea.

Sure you can mullet a bike. What year Nukeproof you considering? The issue is how to preserve or optimize geometry. The 290 IMHO is the better platform to mullet so long as you long shock it.

I'm currently riding a 2018 XL 8.5x2.5 long shocked 290. 29er all around with a 180mm fork and a -2 Works Angleset. BB height is around 13.75", Head Angle in the 63.5 degree range, and somewhere in the 175mm travel range. As you could imagine without an Angleset and with a 27.5 wheel you'd probably end up with a BB height in the low 13" range and pretty slack headangle. It all varies based on fork travel and other factors.

I just picked up a 8.75x2.75 2015 RC4 which I'm psyched about as it's one of the best coil shocks produced... I have a second hub so I'm considering doing some further experimenting. One option is to keep the 29er setup and get a couple 2mm offset bushings. I'll likely need a small shaft spacer to limit stroke to prevent frame contact at bottom out. This will slightly raise/steepen the bike a very small amount. This would put the bike in the 180+mm travel range. Option 2 is the throw on a 27.5 wheel with no offset bushings. This will give me 190+mm travel. Geometry would likely be pretty similar to as it is now.

I really like how flexible the 290 is as a platform to mess with. Only thing that I wish was different was a better leverage curve. A coil certainly helps a lot. I'm hoping to see some benefit from the air assist too with the RC4.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
Does anyone know where to find a hanger for a 2020 Mega? I read that Nukeproof stoped making them because of defective metal in production, is there a random hanger that fits the bike?

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Walkercole wrote:
Recently just bent my hanger on my 2020 Mega 275 alloy, does anyone know of the SRAM universal hanger fits the 2020 models thanks
If you have the brand new shape which has the bottle cage mounts inside the front triangle under the shock then it looks like it does take a sram universal hanger. If yours looks like the previous models (2016 onwards) then its nukeproof specific only

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
Inclag wrote:
Angusaa wrote:

Sure you can mullet a bike. What year Nukeproof you considering? The issue is how to preserve or optimize geometry. The 290 IMHO is the better platform to mullet so long as you long shock it.

I'm currently riding a 2018 XL 8.5x2.5 long shocked 290. 29er all around with a 180mm fork and a -2 Works Angleset. BB height is around 13.75", Head Angle in the 63.5 degree range, and somewhere in the 175mm travel range. As you could imagine without an Angleset and with a 27.5 wheel you'd probably end up with a BB height in the low 13" range and pretty slack headangle. It all varies based on fork travel and other factors.

I just picked up a 8.75x2.75 2015 RC4 which I'm psyched about as it's one of the best coil shocks produced... I have a second hub so I'm considering doing some further experimenting. One option is to keep the 29er setup and get a couple 2mm offset bushings. I'll likely need a small shaft spacer to limit stroke to prevent frame contact at bottom out. This will slightly raise/steepen the bike a very small amount. This would put the bike in the 180+mm travel range. Option 2 is the throw on a 27.5 wheel with no offset bushings. This will give me 190+mm travel. Geometry would likely be pretty similar to as it is now.

I really like how flexible the 290 is as a platform to mess with. Only thing that I wish was different was a better leverage curve. A coil certainly helps a lot. I'm hoping to see some benefit from the air assist too with the RC4.
im going for a 2021 model yelow frame because I want to build up the bike

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
Angusaa wrote:
Inclag wrote:
Angusaa wrote:

im going for a 2021 model yelow frame because I want to build up the bike

I dunno. You could make either bike a mullet. It depends on what you're going for and the type of trails and rider you are and what you're willing to do. With non metric shocks, offset bushings, travel limiting shims, and Angleset you can achieve a lot of adjustment. Either the 290 or 275 could be configured as a mullet. IMHO you need to do just more than stick a wheel in the bike though. Doing so with a 290 will drop the BB too low and rake it further. And for a 275 the higher front end will rake it further and raise the BB.

As a general rule of thumb to mullet a 290 Id say you probably are going to want to long stroke and to do a 275 you're probably going to short stroke. So if you mullet a 290 you're turning your bike into a near DH bike. A 275 will probably end up with less travel than stock. So if you mullet go with the frame that puts you in the travel range/type of bike you're looking to build

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
I think that main problem with 275 mullet conversion is too slack head ancle, with 160mm 29 fork its around 63ish. You could slam bars to compensate high front end.
Maybe put + angle set like Reese did on his world champs bike?!
It would be ideal setup 160mm both ends and around 64ish head angle.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010131
Mobile Version of Website