Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
Chucker147 wrote:
831SCB wrote:
831SCB wrote:

I haven’t weighed it yet but from a lift test, also had the gf pick the two up, it feels lighter than my 5010 which weighs in at 33.8 pounds Rolleyes

After weigh in, the bike comes out 29.39 pounds which I don’t understand when compared to my trail bike being 4 pounds heavier it’s not a light build soooooo

Quoting an old post but for interest sake I weighed my stock build 2021 Mega pro 275 size M (except for 200mm centerline rear rotor, nukeproof bash guard and race face affect pedals, tubeless, 760mm bars). Came in at 15.78kg. Pedals weigh about 375g.

Haven't weighed it in a while, but its got some beefier spank rims, bash guard and pedals than before. I also upgraded to gx cassette over the nx / sunrace I had originally. Feels a bit heavier but still happy with the weight compared to my old 5010.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 22:23 Quote
I am thinking of buying a new mega290 just do not know what size. I am 178cm. At this time I am riding mega275 in M/L size. What sizes do you ride and what is your height. Thanks

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 0:54 Quote
cervom wrote:
I am thinking of buying a new mega290 just do not know what size. I am 178cm. At this time I am riding mega275 in M/L size. What sizes do you ride and what is your height. Thanks

wheel size and frame size have nothing to do one with the other. I'm riding M size 290, at 173cm. What I think is important is how comfortable you are with the reach of said frames. I know 180cm guys on M size frames... and I know 175cm guys on L size frames. Both swear that the frame size are perfect for them. ‍♂️

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
cervom wrote:

I am about 175cm on Msized Mega 290 2020 (50mm stem). Feels like great fit for me. For comparison, I had Mega 275 2016 (27,5er) and that felt small even with +5mm reach adjust headset.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 18:20 Quote
eugenux wrote:
cervom wrote:

wheel size and frame size have nothing to do one with the other. I'm riding M size 290, at 173cm. What I think is important is how comfortable you are with the reach of said frames. I know 180cm guys on M size frames... and I know 175cm guys on L size frames. Both swear that the frame size are perfect for them. ‍♂️

Problem is that the bike size that I ride now is perfect for me and It is size M/L, new sizing is a bit different M has a shorter reach, and L has longer. So I am looking at what experience people here have with 2021 sizing.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 19:33 Quote
I’m 6’4” tall and the XXL fits well.

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
Jumped to mullet band wagon, changed 29 fork to my 2017 nukeproof mega 275. Used to run 170mm lyrik.(loaned fork and bought cheap wheel, so only experimenting at this point)
Propably 29 frame would be better for conversion, who knows.

Head angle is now 62.5(measured by phone with angle meter app, maybe not that accurate numbers, but it got around 2 degree slacker than 27.5)
Seat tube 70.5
BB raised 8mm
Bar height stayed same, just removed all spacers.

Lets see how it works

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
cervom wrote:
eugenux wrote:
cervom wrote:

Problem is that the bike size that I ride now is perfect for me and It is size M/L, new sizing is a bit different M has a shorter reach, and L has longer. So I am looking at what experience people here have with 2021 sizing.

IMO, take the M, as the wb is longer for sure, and put a reach extender head-set of 5mm. 460 reach on a long wb 29er should be enough, no?

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 22:00 Quote
eugenux wrote:
cervom wrote:
eugenux wrote:

IMO, take the M, as the wb is longer for sure, and put a reach extender head-set of 5mm. 460 reach on a long wb 29er should be enough, no?
Reach extender rises front end around 10mm due external cup and that makes reach shorter, IMO +5mm extender headset wont crow reach 5mm, it would be +/-0 benefit??

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
Enskafin wrote:
eugenux wrote:
cervom wrote:

Reach extender rises front end around 10mm due external cup and that makes reach shorter, IMO +5mm extender headset wont crow reach 5mm, it would be +/-0 benefit??

I had one of those reach adjust headsets. You're right the effect is +/-0 if you use it to extend reach. Basically the geo effect is the same as fitting a 10mm longer fork without losing a few mm of reach. The bike will feel only slightly bigger because of higher stack and a few mm longer wheelbase. IMO the headset works much better if you want to shorten the reach.

Posted: Nov 7, 2021 at 1:51 Quote
flatlander99 wrote:
Enskafin wrote:
eugenux wrote:

I had one of those reach adjust headsets. You're right the effect is +/-0 if you use it to extend reach. Basically the geo effect is the same as fitting a 10mm longer fork without losing a few mm of reach. The bike will feel only slightly bigger because of higher stack and a few mm longer wheelbase. IMO the headset works much better if you want to shorten the reach.
I measures mine and it was 6-7mm extra. That will not account for 5mm minus in reach. what was the extra benefit, beside slightly longer wb and higher stack, was the opportunity to use a shorter stem while keeping the same(pretty much) overall cockpit length.

Posted: Nov 7, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
Enskafin wrote:
Jumped to mullet band wagon, changed 29 fork to my 2017 nukeproof mega 275. Used to run 170mm lyrik.(loaned fork and bought cheap wheel, so only experimenting at this point)
Propably 29 frame would be better for conversion, who knows.

Head angle is now 62.5(measured by phone with angle meter app, maybe not that accurate numbers, but it got around 2 degree slacker than 27.5)
Seat tube 70.5
BB raised 8mm
Bar height stayed same, just removed all spacers.

Lets see how it works

Few hours of testing behind now.
Pros
+ stable at high speed (so is 275,but this is bit better)
+big wheel rolls over roots and rocks better (suprise, suprise)

Cons
-not so playful as 27.5(feels sluggish to jump over roots etc)
-front end feels heavy (cheap 35 gold fork)
-too slack head angle, (akward to turn tighter corners etc)
-feels that it needs to muscle trough corners and offcamper sections, front wheel is tending to turn due slack head angle.
-high stack makes reach too short.

Suprisingly higher bb or slack seat tube wasnt that bad issue, bike climbed better than i thought it would.

Final conclusion : not my cup of tea, it messed geo too much. Higher bb and slack seat tube could be bearable but for my riding 62.5 head angle is way too slack, on bikepark riding it would work, but if i would have change to ride more park/dh stuf i would choose different bike anyway.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 5:20 Quote
I am sure this has been asked before, sorry if so. I was set on getting a Mega as my next bike in the new year. Then I saw the Giga and watched a few videos where people compared the two which basically resulted in "if you are going to get either, you might as well get the Giga". Seemingly because it pedals about as well as the Mega yet you'll have more travel to play with.

I saw a guy on a Giga at a trail centre the other day and he said he prefers the Mega as it's more playful. The Giga is certainly more travel than I would need but is certainly an amount I would like to have a few times a year when I go to bike parks, but I would agree that a more playful bike sounds preferable.

Would anyone agree that the Giga is less playful?

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
sorryiamtheboss wrote:
I am sure this has been asked before, sorry if so. I was set on getting a Mega as my next bike in the new year. Then I saw the Giga and watched a few videos where people compared the two which basically resulted in "if you are going to get either, you might as well get the Giga". Seemingly because it pedals about as well as the Mega yet you'll have more travel to play with.

I saw a guy on a Giga at a trail centre the other day and he said he prefers the Mega as it's more playful. The Giga is certainly more travel than I would need but is certainly an amount I would like to have a few times a year when I go to bike parks, but I would agree that a more playful bike sounds preferable.

Would anyone agree that the Giga is less playful?

do you really think 170/180 mm of travel is that much different than 160/170 mm?

careful with the Giga, it is very sensible to its front height... a little too high and it will turn like shite.. and I am not the one who says that.. it is one of the fastest guys I know(podiums and wins in nationals); another thing is that it seems to be hard on the rider.. and less prone to accept rider mistakes. I am almost finished with the gather of all the parts for my build.. and I am rather nervous.. as I am not very fit, nor skilled. I seriously wonder if I should have brought the Mega instead. Easier on the body, geometry for days, all good. I could have even brought a size bigger and reduce the reach with a head-set in order not to lose wheelbase. Idk...if you have the possibility, I'd go and test both.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
Hi,
I've looking for a swing arm for my 2018 Mega 290, I've got a crack in one of the welds, and I'm looking for a replacement.
Cheers

Crack
Crack
Crack

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009410
Mobile Version of Website