Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
riklegge wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer... I'm looking at getting a 2019 mega 275 alloy, size medium. Does anyone know what the maximum insertion depth for the seatpost is?

245mm for aluminium frame and 250 for carbon version, its same for 290, cheers

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 5:45 Quote
bemix wrote:
riklegge wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer... I'm looking at getting a 2019 mega 275 alloy, size medium. Does anyone know what the maximum insertion depth for the seatpost is?

245mm for aluminium frame and 250 for carbon version, its same for 290, cheers

Thanks everyone.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 22:59 Quote
Hi All,

Thought I’d highlight a recent issue, in December 2020 I purchased a Nukeproof Mega 290C Factory from Bike Active in Stanstead, England – a long way from home but at the time they were only place that had stock.

March 22 and the bike was in my local bike shop to have a service when they found several cracks in the chainstays. They contacted the Nukeproof distributor (Hotlines) who advised it was covered under warranty and the part was replaced, no issues.

Roll on to August 2022 and it cracked again, this time it was apparent that the bash guard must have taken an impact whilst riding down the trail, the load has travelled through the securing bolts and the frame has cracked. It wasn’t a crash, I haven’t come up short on a jump, it wasn’t even a significant enough impact to make me stop and take a look, the first I knew of it was cleaning the bike post ride.

This can only be down to a design fault, the bash guard is there to serve exactly that purpose, the frame is clearly not strong enough to withstand the load and is therefore not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality.

My local bike shop again contacted Hotlines who within a couple of hours were back in touch and advised it was not covered under warranty. I queried this, stating that it was a design fault, not fit for purpose, etc, and Hotlines advised that they would refer it to Nukeproof.

11 days later and Nukeproof have advised ‘not covered under warranty’, no explanation as to why.

I’ll be rejecting the bike under The Consumer Rights Act which states products must be of satisfactory quality, as described, fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time. Clearly not the case here.

But I wanted to highlight to anyone thinking of purchasing a Nukeproof bike or any other product distributed by Hotlines (which includes Ragley, Fuji and Ghost bikes).

If you’re looking for businesses who back their product and support you when it does goes wrong avoid Nukeproof and Hotlines.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 23:09 Quote
as we told you on facebook... and clearly you wont accept that so now have posted here
The ISCG tabs are not that strong and your guard looked very beat up.

Its common to see broken iscg tabs. especially if your guard is too strong and you keep smacking it.

its also why some brands have changed to BB mounted Guards. 99% of bash guards are just too strong and dont actually break like they are ment to.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 0:23 Quote
I’ve posted it on here to try and make as many people aware as possible that if you buy a Nukeproof don’t expect them to stand by their product and warranty your frame if something goes wrong.

The bash guard was factory spec, yes it’s got marks on it where it has taken impacts, that’s what it’s there for.

Your opinion is clearly different but mine is that the bash guard should be able to take an impact through normal riding (ie, not a crash, not a case) without cracking the frame. Otherwise it isn’t fit for purpose.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 0:43 Quote
I've been apart of the nukeproof group for a very long time and 99% of the time nobody has an issue with warranty stuff that was actually warranty . i've never seen broken iscg tabs on any nukeproof's but ive seen it on other brands which was also denied claims because the owner has decided to put a bash guard there and smash it into things.

maybe you should be chasing the Manf of the Guard, They havnt made it correctly... They are a consumable and should break.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 0:50 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
I've been apart of the nukeproof group for a very long time and 99% of the time nobody has an issue with warranty stuff that was actually warranty . i've never seen broken iscg tabs on any nukeproof's but ive seen it on other brands which was also denied claims because the owner has decided to put a bash guard there and smash it into things.

maybe you should be chasing the Manf of the Guard, They havnt made it correctly... They are a consumable and should break.

+1 to this. Not sure what is expected if you keep smashing it against things... something has to give...

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 15:46 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

+1 to this. Not sure what is expected if you keep smashing it against things... something has to give...

+1 for sure. Just because the bash guard is installed doesn’t mean that the frame is stronger than any impact the guard is exposed to. I can make a guard out of 1/4 plated and riveted steel like an old battleship. Now if I attach it to the little tabs around my bottom bracket does that somehow make the tabs as strong as the battleship guard attached to them? Obviously not, but somehow people think so. People need to stop recklessly bashing their bikes and expecting engineering miracles. I too would seek resolution from the manufacturer of the guard.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 1:01 Quote
As winter approaches, can anyone recommend a partially integrated rear mudguard for a 2022 Mega 297? Similar to the one on the Giga, but higher up I guess.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 9:50 Quote
scz4 wrote:
As winter approaches, can anyone recommend a partially integrated rear mudguard for a 2022 Mega 297? Similar to the one on the Giga, but higher up I guess.

A mudhugger front mud guard, but cut off the extra material that hangs below the chainstay.

Pics of Sam hills bike with a mudhugger: http://www.dayofdirt.com/thehub/latest-news/mtb/bike-check-sam-hills-2018-nukeproof-mega/

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 22:04 Quote
riklegge wrote:

This is probably a bit late, but IME, the seatpost insertion is way less than Nukeproof advise. On my 2019 Mega 290 it is only 227mm. The longest post I could install was a Bike Yoke 160mm post. Since then I've moved to a 185mm Bike Yoke but I had to get a 30.9mm version and run a seatpost shim. That gives me a fair bit of extra insertion depth and the post is fully slammed.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
Anyone running a different fork offset than the stock 37mm on the 2021 and later 275 models? If so, is it a noticeable difference in straight line speed vs changing direction?

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
H2o1199 wrote:
I am trying to diagnose a loose main pivot on a 2021 Mega 290 Carbon. I've taken the main pivot bolt out and put it back in to make sure it was tight. Something is still not right and there is a lot of side-to-side play in the rear triangle, seemingly coming from the main pivot. Is there a chance that something in there has ovalized, such as the bearings or the bolt holes?

Hey, I’m having the same issue on my Mega- did you replace the main pivot bearings? Did it solve your issue?

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 22:46 Quote
Tothesky55 wrote:
H2o1199 wrote:
I am trying to diagnose a loose main pivot on a 2021 Mega 290 Carbon. I've taken the main pivot bolt out and put it back in to make sure it was tight. Something is still not right and there is a lot of side-to-side play in the rear triangle, seemingly coming from the main pivot. Is there a chance that something in there has ovalized, such as the bearings or the bolt holes?

Hey, I’m having the same issue on my Mega- did you replace the main pivot bearings? Did it solve your issue?

My GFs Mega did this twice. Both times a bearing replacement solved it. The bearings didn't seem to bad, but maybe it doesn't take much on this design.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 0:05 Quote
Does anybody know, if a 220mm Brake rotor is allowed on the 2021/2022 Mega 290 alloy?

Couldn´t find the info online...

Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008958
Mobile Version of Website