Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
Tothesky55 wrote:
H2o1199 wrote:
I am trying to diagnose a loose main pivot on a 2021 Mega 290 Carbon. I've taken the main pivot bolt out and put it back in to make sure it was tight. Something is still not right and there is a lot of side-to-side play in the rear triangle, seemingly coming from the main pivot. Is there a chance that something in there has ovalized, such as the bearings or the bolt holes?

Hey, I’m having the same issue on my Mega- did you replace the main pivot bearings? Did it solve your issue?

My GFs Mega did this twice. Both times a bearing replacement solved it. The bearings didn't seem to bad, but maybe it doesn't take much on this design.

Yeah, thanks! I couldn’t figure out where the rocking was coming from. I originally thought it was the wheel (I have DT Swiss EX1700/ DT 350 hubs for reference), so I had the bearings in the hub replaced. Those were fine, and it was totally unnecessary to replace them, but it worked out in the end because they were the same size as the main pivot bearings. I ended up using the bearings from the hub (6902- they aren’t the enduro max bearings that nukeproof suggests) and the rocking is gone- for now. Hopefully they have the bearing kit for sale at some point!

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 8:33 Quote
We had exactly the same. Were convinced it was the back wheel!

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
guys... one question, does anyone has problems with the 220mm sram hs2 front disc bending after a day of riding? (I know it is not bike related.. well, it is in some way as the 38 is on my giga)
I bend it back straight/flat... but, one day at the bike-park and it was again bended and noisy. Riding it like this, casually, not fast like in a bike-park, vibrates and resonates horribly through out the entire bike.
Has anyone dealt with this kind of problem? (I have never experienced that with a 200mm front disc)

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
eugenux wrote:
guys... one question, does anyone has problems with the 220mm sram hs2 front disc bending after a day of riding? (I know it is not bike related.. well, it is in some way as the 38 is on my giga)
I bend it back straight/flat... but, one day at the bike-park and it was again bended and noisy. Riding it like this, casually, not fast like in a bike-park, vibrates and resonates horribly through out the entire bike.
Has anyone dealt with this kind of problem? (I have never experienced that with a 200mm front disc)

I've had 4 220 HS2. All were bent from new, but once straightened they've been ok.

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 14:18 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
eugenux wrote:

I've had 4 220 HS2. All were bent from new, but once straightened they've been ok.

thx. I'll give it another try.

Posted: Sep 7, 2022 at 11:44 Quote
Hey guys, anyone care to help me decide on Giga 290 vs. Evil Wreckoning V3 for my next bike?

For the past 2-3 years I’ve been a two-bike guy: for park/DH I ride a 2020 Scott Gambler Tuned, and for local trails I ride a 2020 V1 Evil Offering with a Push Elevensix and 160mm fork.

I don’t get to ride often enough anymore to justify having two super high-end bikes for different disciplines, so I’m planning to sell both and replace them with a ~170mm 29er enduro bike.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Nukeproof Giga 290 RS or the Evil Wreckoning V3.

Both of these check all the boxes so the decision seems to just be a matter of preference. Also, my current Push Elevensix can be configured for both of these, which is a big draw for me.

Terrain/riding style:

I live in West Virginia where most of the trails are really janky tech with a mix of flat rock gardens, ultra steep chutes, wet roots, big drops to flat, sketchy jumps etc.

My local park is Snowshoe which has a lot of the same, but also some big flowy jump lines and drops. Jumps and freeride features are my favorite but I don’t get to ride them as often.

Wreckoning:
I absolutely love the feeling of my evil offering so I’m drawn to the Wreckoning for that same zesty “big BMX bike” feeling, but with more travel and aggressive geometry. My only concern is that the short chainstay and ultra playful suspension platform may not make the best daily driver for the type of terrain I ride the most.

Giga 290:
Really similar on paper to the geo of my Scott Gambler, just with 170/180 travel instead of 200/200. I’ve read that the suspension characteristic is ultra plush and confidence-inspiring but still surprisingly lively for jumps and tight trails.

For reference I’m 6’4”, ~230 lbs

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
I wouldn’t buy another Nukeproof, and the Evil forums are full of people complaining about Evil’s customer service.

Posted: Sep 7, 2022 at 17:03 Quote
wobblegoblin wrote:
I wouldn’t buy another Nukeproof, and the Evil forums are full of people complaining about Evil’s customer service.

If i had buy a bike based on Frame Quality(QC) and Customer service....

id chose... None. Every manf has issues, some more than others and that includes some brands have Service and some dont.
Some Brands are better in some countries. - Such as Canyon, Canyon in some places have clowns who dont know bikes vs canyon in AUS... best customer service of any bike brand ive EVER experienced.

P.s Theres a couple of brands like deviate I havnt had the experience with yet but have a claymore lined up for Feb.

So, Wobblegoblin, what brand would you buy and whats your Experience with Nukeproof? Genuinely curious - All info is good info.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
wobblegoblin wrote:

If i had buy a bike based on Frame Quality(QC) and Customer service....

id chose... None. Every manf has issues, some more than others and that includes some brands have Service and some dont.
Some Brands are better in some countries. - Such as Canyon, Canyon in some places have clowns who dont know bikes vs canyon in AUS... best customer service of any bike brand ive EVER experienced.

P.s Theres a couple of brands like deviate I havnt had the experience with yet but have a claymore lined up for Feb.

So, Wobblegoblin, what brand would you buy and whats your Experience with Nukeproof? Genuinely curious - All info is good info.

Banshee.

Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 0:25 Quote
Saturnalia wrote:
Hey guys, anyone care to help me decide on Giga 290 vs. Evil Wreckoning V3 for my next bike?

For the past 2-3 years I’ve been a two-bike guy: for park/DH I ride a 2020 Scott Gambler Tuned, and for local trails I ride a 2020 V1 Evil Offering with a Push Elevensix and 160mm fork.

I don’t get to ride often enough anymore to justify having two super high-end bikes for different disciplines, so I’m planning to sell both and replace them with a ~170mm 29er enduro bike.

Both of these check all the boxes so the decision seems to just be a matter of preference. Also, my current Push Elevensix can be configured for both of these, which is a big draw for me.

Terrain/riding style:

I live in West Virginia where most of the trails are really janky tech with a mix of flat rock gardens, ultra steep chutes, wet roots, big drops to flat, sketchy jumps etc.

My local park is Snowshoe which has a lot of the same, but also some big flowy jump lines and drops. Jumps and freeride features are my favorite but I don’t get to ride them as often.

Wreckoning:
I absolutely love the feeling of my evil offering so I’m drawn to the Wreckoning for that same zesty “big BMX bike” feeling, but with more travel and aggressive geometry. My only concern is that the short chainstay and ultra playful suspension platform may not make the best daily driver for the type of terrain I ride the most.

Giga 290:
Really similar on paper to the geo of my Scott Gambler, just with 170/180 travel instead of 200/200. I’ve read that the suspension characteristic is ultra plush and confidence-inspiring but still surprisingly lively for jumps and tight trails.

I planned and written a long reply in which I explained my opinion based on my previous big bikes(and other bikes/riding I've done in general) but, somehow I messed up and I cannot for the life of me start to rewrite that small essay again.

Long story short: the giga is a highly capable bike but its awesome inherent capabilities are due to its geometry... as the bike is one of the longest, lowest and slackest out there. It feels racy and stiff, not plush and compliant. That's why the first upgrade/change, most of owners from giga facebook groups make, are usually coils, mostly ohlins. I'll keep my x2 for the moment but, I'm telling you.. the bike feels stiff and hard on the joints. Small chatter is always felt while the big hits are damped and taken like a champ. The bike has a lot of grip(the assegais might have to do something with this as well), the bike simply does not know off-camber exists. Drops into root-infested off-cambers.. no problem.. no bucking.. no line changing. Wet off-camber slabs.. no worries. Loose rocks.. no worries. It has tons of grip. This and the way the bike takes big hits are the two things that impressed me the most about it.

weaknesses.. well.. after each bike-park day, the main piviots had to be torqued up again... between 0.5 and 3/4 of rotations.... and the damn cable fixers in the top tube never stay in their places.

also, depending on the size you purchase, you might need some cockpit adjustments. I needed to put a 0.5 spacer only under the stem, put a 40mm stem instead of the 50mm one and put a low rise(10mm) handlebar, 20mm short than my usual 780mm. Also, lowered the psi a little in the fork as, especially with the 180mm fork, the front of the bike feels tall and if you don't ride it in an agressive stance, the front will wash out; bear in mind that I upsized(not intentionally) and decided to keep the frame and take a discount instead of giving it back and wait another xx months for my initial ordered size.
Felt long and too stiff but, once I got it to bike-park speeds, the real character of the bike revealed itself. It frees me so much mental space that now I have time to rethink and adjust lines while being on hard stuff that would make me cringe or "brace for impact" previously(and on previous bikes). The fact that it is so precise helps as well.
I do need to reiterate that it does not feel plush "by default" but, if you will put an ext coil on it, it has every chance to become one.(a magatower v1 with cascade and ext coil was the plushes thing I rode in my life so, I keep in high regard the storias but, I cannot justify or afford, for that matter, one. Like I have said.. maybe an ohlins next year)
Cheers.

Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 1:03 Quote
eugenux wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:

Terrain/riding style:

Wreckoning:

Giga 290:

I planned and written a long reply in which I explained my opinion based on my previous big bikes(and other bikes/riding I've done in general) but, somehow I messed up and I cannot for the life of me start to rewrite that small essay again.

Long story short: the giga is a highly capable bike but its awesome inherent capabilities are due to its geometry... as the bike is one of the longest, lowest and slackest out there. It feels racy and stiff, not plush and compliant. That's why the first upgrade/change, most of owners from giga facebook groups make, are usually coils, mostly ohlins. I'll keep my x2 for the moment but, I'm telling you.. the bike feels stiff and hard on the joints. Small chatter is always felt while the big hits are damped and taken like a champ. The bike has a lot of grip(the assegais might have to do something with this as well), the bike simply does not know off-camber exists. Drops into root-infested off-cambers.. no problem.. no bucking.. no line changing. Wet off-camber slabs.. no worries. Loose rocks.. no worries. It has tons of grip. This and the way the bike takes big hits are the two things that impressed me the most about it.

weaknesses.. well.. after each bike-park day, the main piviots had to be torqued up again... between 0.5 and 3/4 of rotations.... and the damn cable fixers in the top tube never stay in their places.

also, depending on the size you purchase, you might need some cockpit adjustments. I needed to put a 0.5 spacer only under the stem, put a 40mm stem instead of the 50mm one and put a low rise(10mm) handlebar, 20mm short than my usual 780mm. Also, lowered the psi a little in the fork as, especially with the 180mm fork, the front of the bike feels tall and if you don't ride it in an agressive stance, the front will wash out; bear in mind that I upsized(not intentionally) and decided to keep the frame and take a discount instead of giving it back and wait another xx months for my initial ordered size.
Felt long and too stiff but, once I got it to bike-park speeds, the real character of the bike revealed itself. It frees me so much mental space that now I have time to rethink and adjust lines while being on hard stuff that would make me cringe or "brace for impact" previously(and on previous bikes). The fact that it is so precise helps as well.
I do need to reiterate that it does not feel plush "by default" but, if you will put an ext coil on it, it has every chance to become one.(a magatower v1 with cascade and ext coil was the plushes thing I rode in my life so, I keep in high regard the storias but, I cannot justify or afford, for that matter, one. Like I have said.. maybe an ohlins next year)
Cheers.

Cheers, thanks for all of that info man. I do plan to run a Push Elevensix coil on it, which is the best and one of the plushest shocks I've ever ridden. As a compromise between the Giga 290 and the Wreckoning, I'm thinking about the Giga 297--they don't make the 297 in XL but they offer the MX rear triangle separately. This would put the chainstay at 435mm and reach at 495mm, similar to the Wreckoning. Anyone have thoughts on this?

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 1:30 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
I've been apart of the nukeproof group for a very long time and 99% of the time nobody has an issue with warranty stuff that was actually warranty . i've never seen broken iscg tabs on any nukeproof's but ive seen it on other brands which was also denied claims because the owner has decided to put a bash guard there and smash it into things.

maybe you should be chasing the Manf of the Guard, They havnt made it correctly... They are a consumable and should break.

Jumping back into this. The OP with the complaint said the bash guard was installed stock (so the manf was nukeproof?). This raises a question. Are people with bikes with NP bashguards better off removing them and replacing chainrings when they get bashed rather than sticking with an overly stiff bashguard that transmits impact to the frame tabs?

Of course the ideal scenario is to not bash things. But what is the best protection in case that happens? Stick to the NP bashguard or take it off and let the chainring take the hits?

Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 2:20 Quote
[Quote="Saturnalia"][Quote="eugenux"]
Saturnalia wrote:

Cheers, thanks for all of that info man. I do plan to run a Push Elevensix coil on it, which is the best and one of the plushest shocks I've ever ridden. As a compromise between the Giga 290 and the Wreckoning, I'm thinking about the Giga 297--they don't make the 297 in XL but they offer the MX rear triangle separately. This would put the chainstay at 435mm and reach at 495mm, similar to the Wreckoning. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have the 290 and I brought the 27.5 rear triangle thinking that because I upsized, I will need a shorter CS, planning to make it a mullet. The fact of the matter is, I just loved how balanced the bike feels with being a full 29er and 441mm CSs.I will test it as such(mx) but, for the moment, I am enjoying it how it is.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 2:30 Quote
Saturnalia wrote:
eugenux wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:

Terrain/riding style:

Wreckoning:

Giga 290:

Cheers.

To me this sounds like a bike that will feel very unbalanced.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 0:52 Quote
[Quote="eugenux"][Quote="Saturnalia"]
eugenux wrote:

I have the 290 and I brought the 27.5 rear triangle thinking that because I upsized, I will need a shorter CS, planning to make it a mullet. The fact of the matter is, I just loved how balanced the bike feels with being a full 29er and 441mm CSs.I will test it as such(mx) but, for the moment, I am enjoying it how it is.

I'm interested to hear the comparison. Report back when you've tried both. I'm also wondering whether it makes sense to try the normal 290 frame with a 27.5 rear wheel (a cheaper mullet experiment). I realise the BB will be lower and the HA slacker.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008879
Mobile Version of Website