Coil Vengeance help (from Big Hit?)

PB Forum :: Specialized
Coil Vengeance help (from Big Hit?)
Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 17:53 Quote
caesarleigh wrote:
Thread resurrection!
Slie: Are you still running this fork & how is it holding up? Are you happy w/the HLR damper?

Still using this fork and it's still holding strong. It's night and day with and without the HLR damper. Without the HLR damper it's pretty much a paper weight. Terrible fork that bottoms out just by sitting down on the bike. Now, it handles everything i throw at it with grace, and I'm rough on my bike. Dropping to flats and such. I run my fork with a lot of compression usually because of my riding style. It still engages smoothly and I never notice stanchion stick. As for maintenance I replaced the oil once a year and the dust wipers once. However I don't live close to a bike park so it's not taking a constant pounding as it would if I rode downhill every day but I do ride my trails a lot (not dusty though).

Easy to maintain, easy to adjust, and so far, durable and reliable.

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 18:39 Quote
Slie wrote:
caesarleigh wrote:
Thread resurrection!
Slie: Are you still running this fork & how is it holding up? Are you happy w/the HLR damper?

Still using this fork and it's still holding strong. It's night and day with and without the HLR damper. Without the HLR damper it's pretty much a paper weight. Terrible fork that bottoms out just by sitting down on the bike. Now, it handles everything i throw at it with grace, and I'm rough on my bike. Dropping to flats and such. I run my fork with a lot of compression usually because of my riding style. It still engages smoothly and I never notice stanchion stick. As for maintenance I replaced the oil once a year and the dust wipers once. However I don't live close to a bike park so it's not taking a constant pounding as it would if I rode downhill every day but I do ride my trails a lot (not dusty though).

Easy to maintain, easy to adjust, and so far, durable and reliable.

So which spring did you end up with after running the HLR?
Any dreaded creaking from the crown?
Appreciate the info!

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
caesarleigh wrote:
So which spring did you end up with after running the HLR?
Any dreaded creaking from the crown?
Appreciate the info!

Blue Spring. Prior to the HLR I was using the Orange. Since I installed the HLR along with the Blue spring, I've never looked back. It's probably the most profound upgrade I've done to my bike. I have no creaking. I'm not meticulous about polishing my bike every day but I do hose it down after rides and will clean and re-grease contact areas if I believe dirt/grim has gotten in there.

This is the kind of stuff I ride, this is with the HLR and blue spring. I weigh ~170lbs.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
Slie: That looks good! I weigh 165 but don't huck, just roll the steeps.

These forks (used) have dropped in price. I am thinking of grabbing a mint take off Vengeance R since everyone seemed to ride them only a couple of times & an HLR air of the same year & install the HLR cartridge to the R. Cheaper than buying the cartridge only & will give me a spare chassis.

Thank you!

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 7:59 Quote
caesarleigh wrote:
Slie: That looks good! I weigh 165 but don't huck, just roll the steeps.

These forks (used) have dropped in price. I am thinking of grabbing a mint take off Vengeance R since everyone seemed to ride them only a couple of times & an HLR air of the same year & install the HLR cartridge to the R. Cheaper than buying the cartridge only & will give me a spare chassis.

Thank you!

That's what happened to me when I originally used mine (the R came with the bike). I was regretting not buying a different model of bike due to the overwhelming lack luster performance of the Vengeance R. I rode a couple times and ended up buying a different fork but kept the Vengeance as a backup. Well the new fork died then I got the HLR cartridge for the Vengeance and wish I had done that originally. This thing feels bomb proof (I've had some hard hard hits) and it still performs like new.

If you do grab a cartridge and have any questions, ask away. I bought my cartridge from S4 suspension in Quebec.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:51 Quote
Slie: When you changed oil in your HLR cartridge, how much oil did you put in, full to the top?

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
I've read 75ml and 85ml. Personally I use ~85ml. It does not fill to the top. I also put 20ml in each of the lowers thru the bottom before installing the nuts to hold the stanchions in place.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 14:01 Quote
Has anybody pimped the Vengeance Coil HLR with an Titan Spring? Where I can get Titan Springs for Forks?

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
Hello, I revive the issue because I have the same suspension, I have a question, how many 10W MLs would you recommend putting it on the spring side and on the damper, and my other question is to open the valve side, do you have to hit it with the hammer? ?
I have tried to pull out, but the side of the air valve prevents me from removing the lower part of the suspension

Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 14:48 Quote
My fork is also starting to get more and more plush. Advice??

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031817
Mobile Version of Website