How far would you ride to reach good trails?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How far would you ride to reach good trails?
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 at 12:33 Quote
If a town near you built some sweet trails (jumps) in a semi-remote location, but you had to ride just under 1 & 1/2 miles of fire road (w/ approx. 70 feet of climbing) from the nearest parking lot, would you still use the park? There is some support in my home town to build a pumptrack and beginner-through-expert dirt jump park in this type of scenario. The countless local bmx kids would simply ride from home, and could access the park via a convenient pedestrian creek crossing. But anyone who drives to the site would need to use the remote parking. Is 1.5 miles too far? Any riders out there with young kids who might use such a park? Would the trek be a pain for families? Anyone's thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 5:40 Quote
Trails are always a trek. So parking a car and riding a mile is not too bad. Little kids are not likely to use them more teen thing if you know what I am saying . My spot is the same where you have to park like a 1/2 mile ride a paved trail then a quarter mile up a hill. the other is a block away from a local street. everyone rides both.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 8:49 Quote
travisengel wrote:
If a town near you built some sweet trails (jumps) in a semi-remote location, but you had to ride just under 1 & 1/2 miles of fire road (w/ approx. 70 feet of climbing) from the nearest parking lot, would you still use the park? There is some support in my home town to build a pumptrack and beginner-through-expert dirt jump park in this type of scenario. The countless local bmx kids would simply ride from home, and could access the park via a convenient pedestrian creek crossing. But anyone who drives to the site would need to use the remote parking. Is 1.5 miles too far? Any riders out there with young kids who might use such a park? Would the trek be a pain for families? Anyone's thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Not too far! Might keep crowds down as well.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
For the most part, it's too far. 1.5mi approach is fine for trails, but for jump trails, you want to make those accessible because jumps are generally more attractive for younger kids than adult trail riders. Sure, you will get some die hards that won't mind, but jump trails are mostly used by young kids and teenagers, and most of them aren't at the developmental stage where they are ok with type 2 fun. Of course, the ones that are excel competitively and I personally wouldn't mind an approach like that. But if you are trying to get as many people as possible to ride your creation, make it super convenient. I can tell you from personal experience grade school kids would generally not be attracted to such a setup.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010163
Mobile Version of Website