Trail Tires good for DH riding?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Trail Tires good for DH riding?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 at 13:14 Quote
How advisable would it be to run a pair of the trail version of 2.35 Minions F and Minion R riding DH?

Each tire weighs 700g's versus 1350g's for the DH specific version.

The switch would drop 1.37 lbs of weight per tire!!!!!!!!!! Holy SHit.

Please chime in now about my stupidity, or my audacity! To hope that the great Minions have a lite beer version.

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 at 13:56 Quote
drinkhit wrote:
How advisable would it be to run a pair of the trail version of 2.35 Minions F and Minion R riding DH?

Each tire weighs 700g's versus 1350g's for the DH specific version.

The switch would drop 1.37 lbs of weight per tire!!!!!!!!!! Holy SHit.

Please chime in now about my stupidity, or my audacity! To hope that the great Minions have a lite beer version.

I run the 2.35 minion super tacky single ply Dhf front and rear and it f*cking rocks the downhills wet and dry. The super tackys wear out a little quicker but let's be honest, the price of a new set of tyres is a tiny fraction of the cost of most bikes!

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 at 21:20 Quote
I have run a minion 3c dh on the front and ran a continental der kaiser on front and rear of my DH rig. I like the way both of them grip and I have had not pinch flat issues. I have the minion trail exo on my trail rig, they are awesome for a trail bike but they do not hold turns as well and I have pinch flatted them in slow jagged rocks(this could be the rims). This is in Utah, we are often pretty dry as far as dirt goes, also a bit loose or sandy, especially on the top layer of trails.

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 18:15 Quote
Try the Schwalbie Nobby Nick in the front, and Racing Ralf in the front. Great combo for DH racing and light

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 22:54 Quote
dyalnger9 wrote:
Try the Schwalbie Nobby Nick in the front, and Racing Ralf in the front. Great combo for DH racing and light
so what do you run in the rear?

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 23:05 Quote
Whoops Razz I run the Racing Ralfs in the back and the Nobby Nick's in the front.

Sorry about that.

D

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 1:28 Quote
I have run 2.3 inch minions on my all mountain bike and they were not in the slightest up to down hill. Kevlar compounds are incredibly flexible. That being said, if you really do down hill, just dont even try it.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 8:40 Quote
Thankee fellers,

some good food for thought. Was just hoping somebody might tell me different than what i already know.

Tires need to be grabby and wheels need not be thrashed.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 at 12:19 Quote
drinkhit wrote:
Thankee fellers,

some good food for thought. Was just hoping somebody might tell me different than what i already know.

Tires need to be grabby and wheels need not be thrashed.
It's quite simple, you WILL get more pinch flats with trail tires. Dual ply helps really significantly, but the weight just comes with it, it's quite necessary.
Anyway if you don't ride rocky trails, you can be perfectly fine with single ply tires.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010793
Mobile Version of Website