Giant Reign SX...2 x 9...DHX Air any one done it ?

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign SX...2 x 9...DHX Air any one done it ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 at 20:36 Quote
Hi...looking at the Reign SX for a new AM/FR rig...(i'm currently riding a 2008 Marin Wolfridge, pix on profile)..anyway wondering if anyone has changed the gearing to a 2 x 9 setup..and or changed to an Air shock.
Although i understand they are a great bike pointed downhill, I need to be able to pedal up..there's not to many lift-access places here around NZ, and certainly not where I live.

Any thoughts, advice (positive and negative is fine)..

I'm a reasonably experienced trail rider...raced some DH for a couple of season's too..., don't mind hitting some jumps but I'm not a big air/gap rider...I love technical trails...steep is fine.

cheers Smile

Posted: May 16, 2012 at 16:23 Quote
I own i 2011 giant reign sx and i love it, i do a lot of dh on it and its heaven . but i would not get an air shock for it because the susp design is super stiff it its very easy to pedal on the bike, but once your on the dh course it feels like full on dh bike,

Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 1:22 Quote
H-Frosch wrote:
I own i 2011 giant reign sx and i love it, i do a lot of dh on it and its heaven . but i would not get an air shock for it because the susp design is super stiff it its very easy to pedal on the bike, but once your on the dh course it feels like full on dh bike,

cheers...sounds great

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 10:48 Quote
H-Frosch wrote:

But what about getting an air shock to save weight? If he's pedaling uphill (as I will be, and am also getting a Reign) is it worth ditching the coil for an air to shave the weight?

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 12:35 Quote
phatone17 wrote:
H-Frosch wrote:

But what about getting an air shock to save weight? If he's pedaling uphill (as I will be, and am also getting a Reign) is it worth ditching the coil for an air to shave the weight?
no it not because if you still doing downhill air shocks suck because they heat up and the seal break with the high level of heat, so i would stick with the coil shock. and not to mention the bike only weight 32 pounds(stock)and that pretty darn light for a am/dh bike

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 14:07 Quote
H-Frosch wrote:
phatone17 wrote:
H-Frosch wrote:

no it not because if you still doing downhill air shocks suck because they heat up and the seal break with the high level of heat, so i would stick with the coil shock. and not to mention the bike only weight 32 pounds(stock)and that pretty darn light for a am/dh bike

Noted. I've never ridden an air shock at great length so this was a question of mine too. From the sounds of it, looks like I should stick with coil and save weight elsewhere.

(I, unfortunately, will not be on an SX, but rather a Reign X2, so weight will be more like 37-38ish)

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 14:19 Quote
but if you really wanted and air-shock i would recommend a 2012 fox dhx air or a a-fusion vector air and if you wanted to make the bike lighter i would recommend a carbon wheelset

Posted: Jul 14, 2012 at 6:24 Quote
I used to work at a giant dealer and have ridden/have friends that own many different giant bikes. I think that getting the current reign sx and swapping shocks may be a bit of a waste of time. The current sx has a very heavy/shotty parts build that isn't going to give you a great value or good trail riding characteristics. Personally, given your needs I would look into a leftover/used reign x1 or x0 depending upon what your price range can bear.
The reignx frame is great for most uses, it is very plush and climbs as well as a bike it's size can. The key to having fun am riding the reign x is keeping weight down, especially rotating weight (light wheels, xc tires and tubes). Personally I would get a second set of wheels/rotors for the bike and have one for lift access dh and one for am. I'm confident that in almost every way the bike will outperform your dh comp on dh terrain. For the sake of the anecdote, my former boss who owns a bike shop and has a stable full of 6-10k+ bikes chose the reign sx as his exclusive downhill bike because of its flick ability and his propensity towards free riding.
If you are going to stick to the dh comp for loft access dh I might consider getting a plain old reign. It would peddle with more ease (especially on steep climbs) and has a slightly better parts spec/model.

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 21:21 Quote
what size hub and axel do i need for a 2012 reign sx/ And iscg 05??

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 6:22 Quote
bighit1bighit wrote:

135x12 .and yes its iscg 05

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 10:43 Quote
H-Frosch wrote:
bighit1bighit wrote:

135x12 .and yes its iscg 05
correction it's iscg 03.

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 1:22 Quote
How about the Reign X/SX broken link issue? Anyone facing the problem down here?

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 14:12 Quote
its an issue for sure, I broke mine on my 2010 Reign X2. I went with a 2012 link and hacked off my top ISCG tab, now it works.

Posted: Feb 13, 2013 at 15:03 Quote
Hey, I have a 2011 reign SX, I use it for all-mountain style riding (not a lot of freeride or downhill). I had it set up 2x9 (with the race face dual ring and bash as well as a top mount derailleur) I took it off because I never used the granny ring and any derailleur you use with the bike will somehow end up hitting the lower link. It is much better as a single ring. I have never switched the coil for an air shock because I have only heard bad things about the performance. My bike as it is now (minimal upgrades) only weighs 33 lbs. I dont find the weight to be an issue because the maestro is incredibly solid going up, and if it was any lighter it would be too twitchy coming back down. The lower link issues have been addressed I believe because I have never snapped one, nor have I seen any 2011-12 broken links. It is a surreal bike to ride! Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013938
Mobile Version of Website