What brakes should i get

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes should i get
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 13:58 Quote
i dont race, but i ride alot and im not the smallest guy ever and i ride some really steep trails...i want some breaks that feel good and have a good pull....anyone got suggestions

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 19:14 Quote
saint m810, avid code, formula the one

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 22:42 Quote
angry-times wrote:
saint m810, avid code, formula the one
whats the price on them...and what do you mean by the one

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 23:14 Quote
price point has saint for really cheap right now, like 150 each r something like that last time i checked, whats your price range. i just installed my new codes last week and they are plain sick. right after setting them up i was doubting them, but after the pads have worn in and set they are amazing brakes. still trying to completly dial in the contact adjustment tho

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 23:33 Quote
i just dont want to spend alot......im looking into getting a used set i think

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 2:15 Quote
It's hard to go past shimano for value, power and lack of maintenance requirements. Even their lower end brakes are well reviewed. I will use nothing else. Not that it means much that some random on the Internet would say such a thing, but the frequency of problems I see with avid cannot be overstated. When it comes to demanding conditions like Mt 7 in Golden and Ride Don't Slide in Whis, I hear no end of complaints from avid riders and a great deal of satisfaction from Shimano riders.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 3:14 Quote
Avoid avid if you don't like almost weekly bleeds , levers going back to the bars then on the next turn you can't even move the lever

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 4:16 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Avoid avid if you don't like almost weekly bleeds , levers going back to the bars then on the next turn you can't even move the lever
I'm not realy a fan of avid but I have avid elixir r for a couple of years and I needed to bleed it once a year. Not always cus I must but for my own maintenance. Theyre good and strong,and i ride hard. Imo you dont need top brakes,after all,they only slow you down Big Grin . Just need the ones that u dont need to bleed too much... Lot of riders spend to much money on the brakes cus theyre "top" or pros ride it. Better to invest in protective gear.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 5:49 Quote
Shimano SLX 2012 are 110$ each on CRC and like 70ea for the 2011. I say go for this, if i'd get new brakes, that's what i'd get.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 6:16 Quote
kwm0707 wrote:
angry-times wrote:
saint m810, avid code, formula the one
whats the price on them...and what do you mean by the one

You are on the internet you lazy mofo. I have zero tolerance for people who are not aware of google's power. But some 2008 avid juicy threes they are easily the best brakes money can buy.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 7:25 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
kwm0707 wrote:
angry-times wrote:
saint m810, avid code, formula the one
whats the price on them...and what do you mean by the one

You are on the internet you lazy mofo. I have zero tolerance for people who are not aware of google's power. But some 2008 avid juicy threes they are easily the best brakes money can buy.
cool

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 8:36 Quote
Sheer slackness...
Though i have to go with the others, for price and reliability ide go with shimano. I had an older hydro Deore on the front of my old bighit for a while and was thoroughly impressed.

There's usually a good flow of second hand Hope kit on ebay and the buy/sell here.

There is also a few threads on this site somewhere called "post your brake's" or "what brakes are you running and rate them". Think thats right, just search and see what you find.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 12:03 Quote
As people said before, i think you should go for the shimano saint.. Thest are amazingly powerful brakes with a good price.. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27686

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 at 13:32 Quote
MonsterThirteen wrote:
Sheer slackness...
Though i have to go with the others, for price and reliability ide go with shimano. I had an older hydro Deore on the front of my old bighit for a while and was thoroughly impressed.

There's usually a good flow of second hand Hope kit on ebay and the buy/sell here.

There is also a few threads on this site somewhere called "post your brake's" or "what brakes are you running and rate them". Think thats right, just search and see what you find.
ok thanks

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011525
Mobile Version of Website