What brakes should i get

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes should i get
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Apr 21, 2012 at 20:59 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:
I honestly can't stand the play in shimano levers after being a code user. It makes so much more sense for the lever to be on a bearing. Just my opinion but avid codes will not fade or break the bank and plenty of power with good range of power. I stand by codes

idk after all the bad things iv heard

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 at 21:08 Quote
kwm0707 wrote:
norcorider540 wrote:
I honestly can't stand the play in shimano levers after being a code user. It makes so much more sense for the lever to be on a bearing. Just my opinion but avid codes will not fade or break the bank and plenty of power with good range of power. I stand by codes

idk after all the bad things iv heard
. People run into problems with every bike part if you don't take care of it. So what you have to bleed your brakes semi annually it's not the end of the world. I just can't stand the vertical play the shimano brakes have nor can I deal with the sound they make over time when you pull the lever. I know those arnt the biggest issues ever but if your getting new brakes you want the best stopping power and performance I stand by what I'm telling you:p

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 at 21:16 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:
kwm0707 wrote:
norcorider540 wrote:
I honestly can't stand the play in shimano levers after being a code user. It makes so much more sense for the lever to be on a bearing. Just my opinion but avid codes will not fade or break the bank and plenty of power with good range of power. I stand by codes

idk after all the bad things iv heard
. People run into problems with every bike part if you don't take care of it. So what you have to bleed your brakes semi annually it's not the end of the world. I just can't stand the vertical play the shimano brakes have nor can I deal with the sound they make over time when you pull the lever. I know those arnt the biggest issues ever but if your getting new brakes you want the best stopping power and performance I stand by what I'm telling you:p
good man .........im looking for used brakes cuz im dumb but ya. also im looking in to hopes kind of idk but thanks

Posted: Apr 28, 2012 at 4:39 Quote
kwm0707 wrote:
dobby wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned about Hope? lol

Have a look at their Tech V2 brakes. I can only describe them as having an anchor attached to your bike. So powerful, and like Hopes other components, reliable from the box.

Bleeding them is easy too (in fact the easiest I have ever done), spares are easy to find and amazing customer service too (They sent me a free seal kit when I accidentally used mineral oil instead of DOT).

You can also run their Vented rotor if you are riding big mountains. Used them out in Morzine for a week and not once did I suffer from brake fade.

Just my 2 cents
i have been looking for hopes actually but there is so many mono4,5,6ti of all different years too, do you have a recommendation for year and model

I run tech m4s on my AM and DH bikes. they're awesome.

Posted: Apr 29, 2012 at 7:25 Quote
I just picked up some 2012 shimano XT's for my dh bike on Friday. I had used elixir R's for the past 2 years and never had any real complaints about them, but I felt it was time for something a little more powerful. So far the XT's grab 10X better than the elixirs. I was able to get them for $120 each about the same that I paid for the elixirs, all I can say is I'm sold on shimano brakes a lot of power for a good price.

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 7:11 Quote
gobighitmtb wrote:
I just picked up some 2012 shimano XT's for my dh bike on Friday. I had used elixir R's for the past 2 years and never had any real complaints about them, but I felt it was time for something a little more powerful. So far the XT's grab 10X better than the elixirs. I was able to get them for $120 each about the same that I paid for the elixirs, all I can say is I'm sold on shimano brakes a lot of power for a good price.
o thanks this is helpful

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 7:15 Quote
alright guys, can you help??

looking at getting a commencal meta 4x its a 16" frame.
im around 5'10 ish how will this fit.

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 7:17 Quote
jumpndunk wrote:
alright guys, can you help??

looking at getting a commencal meta 4x its a 16" frame.
im around 5'10 ish how will this fit.
thats a "small" frame right?

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 7:53 Quote
kwm0707 wrote:
norcorider540 wrote:
I honestly can't stand the play in shimano levers after being a code user. It makes so much more sense for the lever to be on a bearing. Just my opinion but avid codes will not fade or break the bank and plenty of power with good range of power. I stand by codes

idk after all the bad things iv heard
just to confuse you a bit more I have old deores that stripped a threaded plastic bit that holds the lever onto the rod that adjusts for reach and actuates the piston nearly put me inside a tree after that I had juicy 7 and now elixair r had no problems with them. only bleed the elixirs when I first put them on not touched them ever since, nearly 3 years.

no mater what people say there is no brake better then one that has been spec'd for you and your bike. but that could mean building a bastard brake using a mis match of components from different manufactures

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014480
Mobile Version of Website