Downhill/Freeride trails in Durham Forest and Glen Major Forest (Ontario)

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Downhill/Freeride trails in Durham Forest and Glen Major Forest (Ontario)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 at 7:04 Quote
Hey guys, took my downhill bike to Durham Forest (southern ontario) and had a great time. Lots of hills to shred really fast. One thing that the trails did lack was jump features and big berms. Anyone been considering building up some stuff over there? Are you even allowed?

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 4:54 Quote
DMBA works with the Lake Simcoe Conservation Authority to build and maintain trails in there. Any unauthorized building, like jumps and big berms is going to be noticed since there's a lot of traffic in there. The Conservation Authority won't appreicate it, the DMBA will hear about it, it's just not ideal.

There's at least two (that I know of) good spots with berms and big jump trails in the area.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 9:36 Quote
nickboers wrote:
DMBA works with the Lake Simcoe Conservation Authority to build and maintain trails in there. Any unauthorized building, like jumps and big berms is going to be noticed since there's a lot of traffic in there. The Conservation Authority won't appreicate it, the DMBA will hear about it, it's just not ideal.

There's at least two (that I know of) good spots with berms and big jump trails in the area.

can u tell u where please?

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 9:53 Quote
I didn't build them. I don't feel that I'm close enough to the circle of people that built and or maintains them to make their locations more public than they already are.

There's lots of clues in online forums.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 11:33 Quote
nickboers wrote:
I didn't build them. I don't feel that I'm close enough to the circle of people that built and or maintains them to make their locations more public than they already are.

There's lots of clues in online forums.
durham forest is not a secret place there are several places there like greenwood and 3rock! i dont understand this secret bs! i love to share spots i ride and so should everyone else thats what its all about!!

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 16:09 Quote
jeff444 wrote:
durham forest is not a secret place there are several places there like greenwood and 3rock! i dont understand this secret bs! i love to share spots i ride and so should everyone else thats what its all about!!

I'm happy to share the places I ride and build, but when it's a spot that other people have put a lot of work into I respect their choice to decide who they tell.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2012 at 7:32 Quote
nickboers wrote:
jeff444 wrote:

I'm happy to share the places I ride and build, but when it's a spot that other people have put a lot of work into I respect their choice to decide who they tell.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2012 at 16:34 Quote
Not sharing a trail spot that you made is one of those unwritten rules that entails trail riding and building. It can be annoying sometimes, but not sharing a spot (especially on a public forum like this) can prevent the wrong people from finding it.

Sometimes it is the town that will find out and subsequently go into the ride spot and literally bulldoze the area to "return it to its natural state".

Other times, it is other riders that will ruin trail spots. Its common place for kids/teenagers (used as a general term) to litter and undo many hours of trail work that has been done. This is the worst, it sucks so much when other people that participate in your own sport don't have any respect for the work you've done or the trails they ride. I've personally had a whole wackful of trail building tools stolen by other bikers.

Sometimes when word gets out of a great riding spot, it is simply the increased traffic to the site that will alert the town. And no one wants to be the guy/girl that revealed the spot to the wrong person...

It is a double edged sword. On one hand, its great to share awesome trail spots and have people enjoy them, but on the other hand it can be risky sharing that information.

BUT, we do ride bikes which are great at exploring. If you can get a hint of where good ride spots are, sometimes it just takes a little exploration to find them (which is fun in itself). Perhaps asking about a particular trail spot is best handled with a private message.

Posted: May 1, 2012 at 12:05 Quote
i think i know a spot your refering to and its appriciated. getting very populated all of a sudden

Posted: May 3, 2012 at 11:25 Quote
There was a YouTube video going around not too long ago that was highlighting Durham Forest and Walker Woods as well as Dagmar. Dagmar is a small ski hill in the same general area as Durham Forest, but that's all that I can tell you. Not for secretive reasons, but because I didn't watch the whole video and have no idea where that access points are to the hill.

Try searching "durham forest glen major dagmar" in youtube, that should steer you in the right direction.

Posted: May 3, 2012 at 13:29 Quote
jeff444 wrote:
np thanks ohh no the big secret is out!! might get closed down now lmao

Don't get me wrong, the previous author's concern is a very real one. As a member of DMBA and one who frequents Walker Woods and Glen Major regularly, I don't want any rando risking the great working relationship we have with the Simcoe Conservation Authority or the TRCA by doing something stupid like building inadequate obstacles.

When you begin riding in there you'll soon appreciate all the work that's been done for your benefit. The problem you're going to run into is the availability of actual downhill runs, but that's what you get in Ontario.

There has been some talk around the possibility of Dagmar openning for summer use, which could provide trails with a bit more drop to them. They also apparently used to have some awesome XC trails back in there.

One way that you could keep up on these matters, as well as contribute to the discussion is as a member of DMBA. We hold planning meetings regularly which act, essentially as a forum for new ideas. Something to think about.

Posted: May 4, 2012 at 11:08 Quote
Jeff444 if your talking to me, if someone got hurt at our trails they would be closed.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2012 at 12:15 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:
Jeff444 if your talking to me, if someone got hurt at our trails they would be closed.
people

Posted: May 4, 2012 at 16:32 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:

To be fair, someone would have to get hurt and then cause a big stink about it with the media, lawyers or politicians to get it closed down.

Thankfully most MTBers aren't like that and accept their own responsibility for their actions.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009139
Mobile Version of Website