dual crowns on a hardtail; opinions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
dual crowns on a hardtail; opinions?
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 0:51 Quote
This is a letter from NS Bikes :
Hi Alex,

Thanks for contacing us.

You can run a double crown on the Surge. We warranty this. In the same time - depending on your weight/ riding style you can run a double crown on a Suburban but we won't warranty this. But what would be the point? For Surge - all forks are allowed however most riders are choosing long ravel single crown forks.

Regards,
NS Bikes

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 1:05 Quote
pop0v wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks for contacing us.

You can run a double crown on the Surge. We warranty this. In the same time - depending on your weight/ riding style you can run a double crown on a Suburban but we won't warranty this. But what would be the point? For Surge - all forks are allowed however most riders are choosing long ravel single crown forks.

Regards,
NS Bikes

lol no one would be dum enuf to put double crowns on a suburban..... would they?

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 1:16 Quote
I hope so. I have no idea why NS Bikes even mentioned Suburban Wink

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 2:02 Quote
iambike4lyf wrote:
pop0v wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks for contacing us.

Regards,
NS Bikes

lol no one would be dum enuf to put double crowns on a suburban..... would they?
i ask myself this same question every time i see a dc on a hardtail, that much travel on a hardtail is useless, and as the front end will be plush and owing through anything, the back end will skip around, and be really sensitive.
its pointless, especially the hardtails with supermonster on them, you never bottom on the front with that, but the rear end will be very harsh feeling and its not going to be lighter, as a dual suspension needs less reinforcement than a hardtail as the frame itself wont take as many big impacts, as opposed to a hardtail where the frame gets the full force of every single hit, every overshot landing, every rock and every time you mess up in a rock garden, the frame will take it

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 6:59 Quote
In a way, you're right, but it helps you to be a better rider when you have no rear squish.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
In a way, you're right, but it helps you to be a better rider when you have no rear squish.

Only because you're afraid of messing up. If you overshoot a landing or mess up your line in a rock garden, it's going to end up much worse on a hardtail than on a fully, and you know this. It forces you to be much more careful.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
I say it's possible with a suitably strong frame, but in poor taste - analogous to wearing silver pants. Sure you can do it, but why would you want to?

I also think riding a hardtail makes you smoother. It's a necessary bike in your assortment in the garage.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 23:44 Quote
dual crown on a HT is a no no

puts wayyyyyyy to much stress on the headtube. had a friend eating his tire because of a DC on his HT.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 6:48 Quote
tianosanchez wrote:
dual crown on a HT is a no no

puts wayyyyyyy to much stress on the headtube. had a friend eating his tire because of a DC on his HT.

You fail. Read the thread.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 6:51 Quote
my mate used to run double crowns on his hardatil, they were rock shox, think they were like 100/120mm but were designed for DJ

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 8:40 Quote
im about to put my 888s, ON AN APOLLO HYBRID!!!!! yes... im going there

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 8:52 Quote
I run 888 on a banshee morphine (hardtail) and do dirt jumps fine... oh yea they work pretty good on 25 ft drops too.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 8:52 Quote
hustler wrote:
I say it's possible with a suitably strong frame, but in poor taste - analogous to wearing silver pants. Sure you can do it, but why would you want to?

I also think riding a hardtail makes you smoother. It's a necessary bike in your assortment in the garage.
yeah i agree hardtails make you a much smoother rider, let's you able to feel your bike where it moves and such.

and for the other guy. screwing up on a rockbed on a hardtail ain't that bad. let me tell you after 2 years of dh/fr on a hardtail and now that i have a dually i am a way better rider.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
unless you are freeriding or downhilling not alot of travel is needed. I dirt jump and i lowered my DJ 2's to 80mm and they work super nice

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 20:40 Quote
hm i'm about to trade my z1 of my 2007 sasquatch for a 2007 888 rv ... should i go for it ? i'm not a huge hucker but i downhill a lot

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037186
Mobile Version of Website