Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
Are you actually riding that with flats or did you just use those for the photo?

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Are you actually riding that with flats or did you just use those for the photo?

They're SPDs. Looks like iSSi pedals by QBP.

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 12:46 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

As seraph said, they're iSSi Flip IIIs. SPD on one side and flat on the other, I like the flexibility.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 23:42 Quote
Not 100% road only but it'll see some tarmac for sure.

Posted: Dec 11, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
Yeah I mean I call my Crux a "road" bike, or sometimes "road plus".

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
That's gorgeous, I love the fades

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 3:58 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
Hoops came in.

Sweet lord, you're getting me hyped for my Ti frame arriving

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
As a wheel builder, I've never liked any wheels that use paired or grouped spokes. Rolf, Bontrager, Campagnolo...

Bike looks good but it would look better with 24h shallow carbon rims on some exotic hub IMO. Just my opinion though.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
There’s pro’s and cons for both options. I like the versatility a custom set can offer but I’ve had better experience with (Campagnolo) factory wheelsets than what I’ve had with custom sets.

Plus I can’t really afford to use anything other than Campagnolo Wink

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 11:29 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
There’s pro’s and cons for both options. I like the versatility a custom set can offer but I’ve had better experience with (Campagnolo) factory wheelsets than what I’ve had with custom sets.

Plus I can’t really afford to use anything other than Campagnolo Wink

I've never had any bad experiences with custom wheels. I'm running 240S SP hubs on Nextie carbon rims right now, weighs about 1150g for the set. Aerolite spokes and alloy Squorx nipples, 28h, no complaints. Running 35c tubeless Hutchinsons at about 50 psi for "road+" riding. I've also got a set of 24h 240S hubs on E.13 XCXr rims and Teravail Cannonball 35c tires for more aggressive off road riding. Aerolites and brass nipples, about 1300g for the set.

Posted: Dec 25, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
Man, it's just about impossible to go wrong with DT's... 240's, or even 350's if you don't mind the weight and wanna save some money. I got a stupid good deal on 180's on my China wheels from Light Bicycle but I'd actually intended to go with 240's... they were out of stock on 240's and upgraded me to 180's for like $170 more.

Wanted to get off the compact 50/34 chainrings for something bigger and decided to go oval with the step up to 52/36... man, I'm sold on oval rings. I was slow to believe and skeptical as to how much they'd matter but damn, I really wish I would've switched earlier and I'm definitely gonna switch the mountain bike over too. I'm not great at pedaling prefect circles so maybe it's more noticeable to me than it would be to others but I'm a convert after 20 miles.

Posted: Dec 25, 2020 at 16:50 Quote
That bike sees majority pavement right? What kind of settings do you find the oval rings help?

On my gravel bike I mostly notice it climbing loose off-road stuff. I also have a messy pedal stroke (constantly changing with injuries n such), but on-road I find I can settle in and focus and clean it up. Very open to the merits on-road, just haven't felt it one way or another.

Posted: Dec 25, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Yeah, probably 95% pavement... Really helps maintain cadence climbing as you don't have to push through the dead spot in the pedal stroke to carry into the power range. I tend to 'piston' when I pedal with power, driving down through the stroke from probably 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock giving me a lot of dead rotation coming over the top where I'm putting out a lot of torque for little return to keep the leg speed even. On flats at tempo spinning along at 95rpm it's much less noticeable but also doesn't feel any different than a round ring. Accelerations and going uphill though, my feet just carry through with a noticeably smoother level of effort. Haven't done anything long enough to see how it affects my bum knee but I suspect it'll be a big benefit too on longer rides where my knee usually starts to hurt from torque.

Posted: Dec 25, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
240s for life! I mean 180s are sweet but the pricing on the new EXP version pretty much assures that I'll never be able to afford a set, even at my cost. Frown

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009840
Mobile Version of Website