Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 21:32 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
My new bars are waiting to be taped, I might give top down a go as it looks much cleaner
Looks goodish but I personally do not like having the seams pointed in that direction; they are much more grabby. No good reason to do this in my book.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 1:17 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
My new bars are waiting to be taped, I might give top down a go as it looks much cleaner
Looks goodish but I personally do not like having the seams pointed in that direction; they are much more grabby. No good reason to do this in my book.

I might try the superglue option that Sky/Ineos do, looks clean and I can have my bar tape wrapped my preferred way

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 2:40 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
Having spent far too long watching various YouTube videos on wrapping bar tape, I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll stick to normal way round. I've got black tape on black bars so electrical tape won't look too obvious anyway.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
radatabs wrote:
I might try the superglue option that Sky/Ineos do, looks clean and I can have my bar tape wrapped my preferred way
What's this?

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 16:20 Quote
Instead of electrical tape you glue to end of the tape to each other / handlebar.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 2:29 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
radatabs wrote:
What's this?

I recommend a wrap of bartape under where you drop the superglue just so it doesn't stick to the bar but it looks super clean.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_pZyApoWSbig/SQoOXfExcFI/AAAAAAAABvY/l-kKGMShBBo/s720/Time_Ulteam_worldstar%20%2813%29.JPG

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
radatabs wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
radatabs wrote:
What's this?

I recommend a wrap of bartape under where you drop the superglue just so it doesn't stick to the bar but it looks super clean.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_pZyApoWSbig/SQoOXfExcFI/AAAAAAAABvY/l-kKGMShBBo/s720/Time_Ulteam_worldstar%20%2813%29.JPG

That's a good idea. Lots of tape comes with the two little pieces meant to be used to cover gaps around the levers that could be used for this, depending on your bar size. Those pieces always just end up in the trash for me anyway.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
Having spent far too long watching various YouTube videos on wrapping bar tape, I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll stick to normal way round. I've got black tape on black bars so electrical tape won't look too obvious anyway.

Did your bar tape not come with 2 pieces of finishing tape? Generally it does and it looks better than electrical tape.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
man-wolf wrote:

Did your bar tape not come with 2 pieces of finishing tape? Generally it does and it looks better than electrical tape.
That tape is always shit... use electrical tape and if you want the logo from the finishing tape throw it on over the electrical tape.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
DC1988 wrote:

Agreed, which is why I use electrical tape. You can get a good stretch on it which helps with application too.
That tape is always shit... use electrical tape and if you want the logo from the finishing tape throw it on over the electrical tape.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
DC1988 wrote:

Guess it depends what you're using and how you're applying it, I never have issues with it.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
With the tension I was using to wrap the tape, the pitiful amount of finishing tape supplied was never going to be up to the task.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
I've literally never seen anyone use that finishing strip for anything other than aesthetics... using that to secure tape is roughly on par with using the clamp straps to hide the lever clamp instead of a figure eight.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I've literally never seen anyone use that finishing strip for anything other than aesthetics... using that to secure tape is roughly on par with using the clamp straps to hide the lever clamp instead of a figure eight.
Lol

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 19:36 Quote
Not gonna lie, I either use the cheater strips or let handlebar peek through. I just don't like how the figure eight (as executed by my clumsy hands) looks and feels under the hoods.

Then I wait a month to apply the finishing strip, so I have some time to determine if a given tape is worthy of displaying a logo.

And blank logo-free bar ends always.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005982
Mobile Version of Website