Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Not gonna lie, I either use the cheater strips or let handlebar peek through. I just don't like how the figure eight (as executed by my clumsy hands) looks and feels under the hoods.

Then I wait a month to apply the finishing strip, so I have some time to determine if a given tape is worthy of displaying a logo.

And blank logo-free bar ends always.
What is it that you find noticeable under the hood. I'm sure I could find the spot on the inside of the drop radius where the tape crosses over blindfolded, but it's not near enough that I ever notice it in use and nothing under the hoods themselves. If you wrap too far back on the lever though, i could see it obstructing some of the holes the hood cover sits into and creating some bumps.

My first couple efforts were pretty trash and got me cussed by the dude that showed me how, old school pro mechanic for decades, but after those first two I got it down pretty well. My worst screw ups now are winding up with an extra inch of tape on one side or the other... usually whichever side I start on.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 21:41 Quote
When a figure 8 wrap is done correctly, the bar tape shouldn't be anywhere near the part of the hood you put your hands on.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 22:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
When a figure 8 wrap is done correctly, the bar tape shouldn't be anywhere near the part of the hood you put your hands on.
No, that's not right... the figure eight should always cover the open gap between bar and hood so you don't feel that transition when you're riding.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
yes....not bulked up...just smooth. I hate a gap there....

I probably sound remedial here.....I wrap to ensure that your grip's typical direction of rotation/force is in effect winding the tape tighter. wrapping towards you on the flats....clockwise on the right side drop, CCW on the left side drop. you guys do the same ? yeah...that's f**king remedial...lol..

back in the day....I would wrap a small section( like 4") right in front of the brake hoods as the bars curve down, and right below the brake hoods (again 4-ish inches) ...just through the curve of the drop with a layer of tape, then secure with masking tape. that way you got just a smidge of extra cushion where your hands spend the most time. Don't forget....that old tape, like the Benotto was super thin...

on my Cannondale road bike...running Cinelli track bars....I did this using self-amalgamating tape... Big mistake. Under thin tape this may work perfect but the bar tape I used is so thick it's like gripping a baseball bat by the big end. all that shit is coming off soon.

wound up getting the Fizik 2mm microtex classic tape for the new build. Feels nice....gonna give it a couple rides to make sure I have the brake levers in the right place then get it taped up.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 17:36 Quote
I actually prefer my tape going away from me on the tops... I don't really "throttle" when I climb, just rest my palms climbing or my elbows when I go fake aero. But I just go up over the gap enough to keep it feeling flat under hand.

This is the only part of the figure eight I was talking about where you can feel the tape crossover.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 18:46 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

This is the only part of the figure eight I was talking about where you can feel the tape crossover.

Since we are still nerding out on bar tape...
With some care you can keep that crossover more to the sides than back. I can't feel mine at all when riding.

I personally like to wrap my tape a bit thicker in the drops and thinner/tighter on the flats. I find with my large hands the thicker drops have a significant impact on my feel for the bike.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 19:10 Quote
I like that, shifting it to the side... I'll have to experiment with that next time I wrap em

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 0:21 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
No, that's not right... the figure eight should always cover the open gap between bar and hood so you don't feel that transition when you're riding.

I meant the top of the hood. It should only cover the back of the hood where the lever meets the bar. It shouldn't be under the part of the hood where you put your palm.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 1:29 Quote
Is this why MTB'rs think Roadies are boring?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
stoo61 wrote:

Do they? I ride both and they're both fun.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 10:43 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I actually prefer my tape going away from me on the tops... I don't really "throttle" when I climb, just rest my palms climbing or my elbows when I go fake aero. But I just go up over the gap enough to keep it feeling flat under hand.

I don't "throttle" either....and I never ride with my hands on the flats and fingers wrapped over the front of the bar ala throttle style...

I have to say that I mostly climb in the drops. But, when just slacking off, I may rest my palms on the backsides where the bars bend forward towards the brake hoods, with my fingers curled under the the bars just a bit. real lazy upright taking-a-water-break style....

I'm also finding that I'm not really liking riding on the hoods of these brifters....like the lever bodies are kinda awkward. I've moved them about to try and find that sweet spot but it still eludes me. I'm sure it's just me stuck in the past a bit. Gonna update the cockpit on that Cannondale. it's a snappy old frame...and I like how stiff and fast it is for an old bike, but my hands just struggle with comfort so I didn't ride it much at all last summer Frown

My old Super Record levers are the bomb when on the hoods. love the feel...

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 13:32 Quote
seraph wrote:
stoo61 wrote:

Generally yeah. Obviously, im with you, ride anything!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
seraph wrote:
stoo61 wrote:

Generally yeah. Obviously, im with you, ride anything!

I've never met a MTB rider over the age of 20 who hated roadies.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
I've met a couple in their 20's... but none over 30

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 18:53 Quote
i think it depends where you live, i could definitely understand dislike for road riders around here. but hatred is a bit much lol.

then again, people seem to hate mountain bikes around here enough to booby trap trails lol

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007203
Mobile Version of Website