Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
pretty sure that’s stock, seen a few of those around

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
Stock color from a few years ago. Personally I prefer the transparent greenish/teal color of the 2020 Pro models.

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 3:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Is that a custom paint job or was that a stock color

Yes. It’s stock color.

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 17:43 Quote
Road biking suxxx lol

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 19:27 Quote
dirtyrico wrote:
Road biking suxxx lol

I think you're in the wrong forum.

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
seraph wrote:
dirtyrico wrote:
Road biking suxxx lol

I think you're in the wrong forum.
Just looked at his page... Literally every comment this clown has made has just been trolling, don't bother responding.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 6:25 Quote
she's old as hell, and nicked up a bit but still such a great bike to ride...

swapped on the DT Swiss R1800 wheelset I was using on my Cannondale. Pulled a cog from the 9-speed making it an 8-speed, then stuck a 10-speed spacer behind it. Feels weird with the larger spread coming off a 13-19 7-speed but I'm getting used to it. It shifts nicely but I need to find a true 7-speed that fits the Shimano freehub to make it perfect. I think it really needs the 7-speed spacing back there to make up for the lack of indexing.

sorry seat top got chopped off in the photo

photo

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
Proper old school right there

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Proper old school right there

shoot...thanks bro. Beer

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
looking to address the f**k show occurring at the cockpit on this.

photo

Fork is 1" threaded. I have a spare Easton carbon 1-1/8" steer tube fork, but I'd have to find an appropriate threadless headset however I kinda like the Slice for on it better.

I have Cinelli 38.1mm clamp track bars on it now with a 1-1/8" quill adapter so I could use a modern stem...and added a couple spacers under the stem. The stem 'rise' is like +/1 6 deg so it gives all kinds of f**ked up looking angles. That has to go.
The bar tape is pretty shit. I used it for the red/black transition but everything about it is wrong...too thick, fugly, etc.....

Bars and stem is where I'm having the real issue. I'm torn on the quill adapter and spacer thing... So I either go vintage-ish quill stem and 26.0 bars, or I keep a similar setup that I have and just not worry about it as threadless steer tube stems are much easier to source. I also like the 31.8 clamp thickness bars.
Though of changing to a black threaded headset but this one is in perfect shape...so I'm not really jumping at that.

Thought of the following:

black 3T Rotundo Alloy or Carbon, or 3T Tornova (maybe even the Ergonova's) bars. both in 31.8 clamp. Matching +/- 17 degree 3T stem and keep the quill adapter and spacers.

black Modolo (maybe the X-tenos) bars 26.0, with black Modolo quill stem....
Struggling to find a good Cinelli setup in either

next struggle is getting rid of the "brifters". I'd like to get off the moving brake lever bs and have a fixed lever separate from the shifters. I need to research what levers I could use to match the Shimano mech, find them used and keep costs down. Modolo's Morphos system would be my "money is no object" go-to but money is def an object..lol

sidebar: those wheels went onto my Allez and now I have a set of old Mavic CXP 33's with black Chris King hubs on there that a friend gifted to me...

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
Is the headtube actually 1 1/8"? If it's a 1" headtube I don't think you can jam a 1 1/8" fork in there, unless there exists a 1" threadless headset with a 1 1/8" inner bore.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
seraph wrote:
Is the headtube actually 1 1/8"? If it's a 1" headtube I don't think you can jam a 1 1/8" fork in there, unless there exists a 1" threadless headset with a 1 1/8" inner bore.

Seraph...I'm thinking you are barking up the right tree there....and confirms an initial suspicion I had about converting the whole shebang to a threadless setup.

I pulled the Slice fork out and just held the steer tube of my Easton fork (with the 1-1/8" steer tube) up to the opening of the headtube with the headset cups still in place.

Just a visual made me think there's no way that 1-1/8" steer tube will fit in there and leave enough space for the shell of a threadless headset. Figured the only true way to tell would be to knock out the cups and fit the steer tube through it as well as taking some solid measurements with calipers. It didn't look like it would work so that's where I stopped and decided to just put it all back together. I did not measure the ID of the headset cups when the fork was out to get a ballpark idea of HT ID... Externally it looks big enough, but a good 10mm of the top and bottom of that HT are much thicker (reduced ID) than the main body of the HT. As if in effect the HT was "double butted"

hopefully that made sense...

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
What a family. They look incredible together and separate. Your road bike will probably always be one of my favourites.

I just hit a little rebuild on my old Allez Epic. I had initially taken all the parts to build my other road bike, then swapped the groupset, and then a few months ago a friend got me these wheels and I just had to finish it off. I kept the American theme going but little bit heavier on flash and nifty retro shit than the previous superlight iteration.

This is fresh off the stand so that seat angle, lack of cable ends, etc., are definitely all subject to change.
photo
photo
photo
photo

Specs:
1989 Specialized Allez Epic 60cm
Ritchey 1" threadless alu/carbon fork
Cane Creek 40 1" threadless headset
Salsa Cowbell polished bars
Bontrager Elite polished stem
Bontrager Buzz Kill bar ends (I know these probably do nothing but I found them at my shop and figured they fit the theme)
SRAM Red bar tape
SRAM Red 10s everything, 53-39 rings and 11-25 cassette
Bontrager RXL seatpost
Specialized Toupe Expert saddle (borrowed, so we'll see)
HED wheels, honestly not sure what kind but despite being fairly old they're wide, spin forever, and have that nifty front/rear rim depth and shape that everyone is making noise about these days
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport tires. Not going to lie, I thought the name was cool and they were in stock.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 6:50 Quote
@memento-mori

your bikes are ALWAYS top notch

@crs-one

that's a pretty sweet build man. I dig the parts selection. and +1 on the tires for the reasons stated Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027056
Mobile Version of Website