Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
So, a 7 speed cassette can easily be run on a standard 8/9/10sp freehub with a spacer behind the cassette but you can't run an 8/9/10sp cassette on a 7 speed freehub because it's actually narrower than the cassette. The bigger issue will be the frame itself though. To standardize builds, most manufacturers still using 7 speed drivetrains are building what are essentially 8/9/10 speed bikes and just tossing cheaper 7 speed drivetrains on them but if your bike is actually a 126mm rear spacing like a true 7 speed bike then you're locked in to 7 speed because moving up to the 8/9/10 speed means a 130mm wide hub spacing that won't fit in your drop outs.

So the long and short is:
If your drop outs are 130mm, you can run basically any 10sp wheel you want and just put a 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette.
If your drop outs are 126mm, you have to find a 7 speed hub.

You just need to measure with a set of vernier calipers.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it and see what I can find out.

That, or if I can get a small loan from my bank, I might buy a used carbon road bike and use the Brand-X bike as a winter trainer.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a set of vernier calipers.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
kinny-pb wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it and see what I can find out.

That, or if I can get a small loan from my bank, I might buy a used carbon road bike and use the Brand-X bike as a winter trainer.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a set of vernier calipers.

If it floats, flies, f*cks, or drives, it's a depreciating asset, don't finance it unless you're gonna use it to make money.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

If it floats, flies, f*cks, or drives, it's a depreciating asset, don't finance it unless you're gonna use it to make money.

I get you buddy. I'll look into getting upgraded wheels for the Brand-X, but I've never owned a carbon bike so I'm tempted to get a loan so I can have one.

I'm happy with my bike though.

I'll get vernier calipers and see if I can work that out first.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
Shit....I'm thinking that the bikes with 7-speed Tourney groupsets had wheels with hubs using a classic style thread-on freewheel and not a freehub. Don't quote me on that though....

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
adm750 wrote:
Shit....I'm thinking that the bikes with 7-speed Tourney groupsets had wheels with hubs using a classic style thread-on freewheel and not a freehub. Don't quote me on that though....

That's what I was just coming in to say. Beat me to it.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
Nah, that's old school stuff... the newer stuff is splined just like the 8-10 speeds.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/tourney-tz500/CS-HG200-7.html

photo

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
haha...all my shit is old 'brown lol

thanks for posting that BTW, because I have cobbled together an 8-speed for the DT wheels on my Allez which originally had a threaded 7-speed on Mavic rims.

Now I have those DT wheels running a 9-speed cassette with a cog removed, a 10-speed spacer under the lock ring, and an 8-speed spacer behind the whole shebang (or I have that spacer setup reversed...can't recall...), managed by a Super Record derailleur with downtube shifters...

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 4:27 Quote
Strade Bianche done and dusted, f%cking fantastic day out with my brother. Tire choice was excellent and really happy with the Mosaic's performance overall.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Approx 140km and 1900m elevation - 35 degrees celcius.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
helluva ride my man...! Salute

Did you and bro stay together for the entire ride...? What was your completion time for that event..?

looks like an epic event....only two photos are NOT hills lol

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
adm750 wrote:
helluva ride my man...! Salute

Did you and bro stay together for the entire ride...? What was your completion time for that event..?

looks like an epic event....only two photos are NOT hills lol

Yeah, nice day out for sure!

Yes, we stayed together. He was well prepared in terms of overall fitness but I've got a bit more power to get over those steep bits and he's probably a bit less comfortable pushing it on the gravel sections due to less experience / not being his own bike.

In the end, we hardly had to wait for each other and I didn't start with the idea of riding a best personal or anything like that. We went there to push ourselves for sure but more importantly, to have a good time together. And I admit, to enjoy some Fiorentina steak afterwards Big Grin

A total of 5:30 for this ride, just suffered a bit of cramp close to end but managed to keep pedalling and keep it out during the final, rather steep mind you, section upon entering Siena.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 5:22 Quote
aw...fantastic...! that's a total win....

nice to go out not looking to set PR goals. You can get so wrapped up in the hours and minutes that you're not taking the whole experience in. well played...

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
photo
Pandemic road bike purchase. Half carbon half steel. Pretty cool bike if I do say so myself.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
shit, that's pretty nice. tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016978
Mobile Version of Website