Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
kinny-pb wrote:
Finally got my bike and I m happy with it.

Brown Spoon saddle, brown Brooks bar tape and tan walled tyres....

Yay or nay, or should I keep it all black?

Any opinions welcome. Smile

Figure out if you like the ergonomics on the Spoon saddle before you get it just because it's brown. A proper fitting saddle is super important on a road bike. I tried about 15-20 different saddles before I settled on the Romin.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
seraph wrote:
Figure out if you like the ergonomics on the Spoon saddle before you get it just because it's brown. A proper fitting saddle is super important on a road bike. I tried about 15-20 different saddles before I settled on the Romin.
The absolute truth of this cannot be overstated... a saddle that fits you is the difference between loving riding and hating riding.

Beyond that, I'd stick with black and steer clear of Brooks anything.

Seraph, you work at Spesh dealer right? Do you guys have or are you able to get a Romin Mirror in 155 width?

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
The absolute truth of this cannot be overstated... a saddle that fits you is the difference between loving riding and hating riding.

Seraph, you work at Spesh dealer right? Do you guys have or are you able to get a Romin Mirror in 155 width?

I actually work for Trek now. Even the store I was at before doesn't carry Specialized anymore because they were purchased by Pon Holdings and Spec got pissed.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
@seraph - I'm sure you have all the saddle fitting tools at hand...

@BBLB - did you do the home ass-o-meter to get figure saddle width or did you get fitted ?

@ both you guys - I've seen several methods, but any preferred home methods to dial in on a saddle width....?

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
seraph wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:

I actually work for Trek now. Even the store I was at before doesn't carry Specialized anymore because they were purchased by Pon Holdings and Spec got pissed.

Lol that was a hilarious email to get. RIP to all those people who had orders with specialized before they just cancelled all of them.

+1 on the Brooks avoidance, i have one of their saddles and have had their bartape and both are soft bs

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:

I've ridden on Spoon seats on nearly every bike I've owned and they're the most comfortable saddle I've had.

OK, to Brooks bar tape.

Just wondering if a brown seat, bar tape and tan walled tyres would look good. I like the bike how it looks but was just curious of your opinions on it.

Cheers.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
adm750 wrote:
@seraph - I'm sure you have all the saddle fitting tools at hand...

@BBLB - did you do the home ass-o-meter to get figure saddle width or did you get fitted ?

@ both you guys - I've seen several methods, but any preferred home methods to dial in on a saddle width....?
Much like Seraph, I did the "I've got a bin of saddles I now know I hate" method. lol All kidding aside, I've given away probably $800 in saddles and still have like four in a bin.

I tried a bunch of random house brand stuff that came on bikes I bought from Pinarello/Trek/Scott/Specialized... tried a Fizik Arione and f*cking hated it... at some point I got a WTB Volt on a mountain bike I bought and realized I really like the shape so I went to an Antares since they're similar but didn't like it at all. Figured the Antares was substantially flatter so I tried an Aliante that was 141mm wide liked the shape but could never get really comfortable over long rides so I looked a bit closer and realized that my Volt was 10mm wider, so I went to a 153mm Aliante and immediately noticed a huge improvement. Then tried the Aliante Open which has a channel like the Volt, and noticed still more improvement... been on that for about 8k miles now and pretty happy overall but the tail kicks up just a bit too much for my liking, which leads to me putting a bit more angle in the saddle than I really want, which leads to a bit more pressure than I really want when I'm up on the rivet.

So all that experimentation, and a handful of other less notable and more short lived efforts, leads me to the Romin Mirror that just came out... it's a very similar shape overall to the Aliante, about 5mm shorter and 2mm wider, with a bit less tail height, and supposedly excellent comfort on the nose thanks to the 3d printed trellis padding.

As for my preferred method to measure at home, I can't recall where I found it but it was some bike fitter on YouTube and it came out to 152mm for me which is pretty much dead on.

You take a piece of cardboard large enough to sit on and put it on a soft but supportive chair or bench, I used my work out bench... set something in front of the bench that's a few inches tall to put your feet on, I used a scrap piece of 4x4. Sit on the cardboard and put your feet up and then roughly mimic the posture you maintain on the bike and sit there for 10 seconds or so to let your weight settle in. Stand up and then use the flat side of a crayon or piece of chalk to do a "rubbing" over the carboard to color the high areas and highlight the impressions left by your sit bones. Measure center to center of the impression and then add 40-50mm to that number depending upon your preferred saddle shape; if you like a saddle that flares more toward the rear like the Spook kinny mentioned then add 50, if you like a saddle that doesn't flare much, add 40.

For me, center to center measured 107mm and +45mm got me to 152mm which is pretty on point with what experience had shown my ass to be happy with so I feel like it's a pretty good home measurement.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
seraph wrote:
Pon owns Cervelo and Santa Cruz right?

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
Pon owns Cervelo and Santa Cruz right?

Correct. Mike's Bikes was already a Santa Cruz dealer. Word has it, years ago Specialized offered to buy Mike's and they turned them down. So I can understand why they might be a little pissed off that they were so quick to sell to Pon. But in the defense of Mike's, if Spec had bought them it's likely that they would have only been able to carry SBC. With Pon as the parent company, they're allowing Mike's to continue with all of their original brands. I guess Mike's just picked up Giant to fill the SBC void.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
Specialized should have honored the already sold bikes. Aside from that, Mike's Bikes trying to lie about the context of what happened left a pretty poor taste in my mouth. "Purchased by a small family owned business" my ass. Y'all are liars.

Also, avoid brooks tape as well. Shit is hard as nails. Brooks doesn't really make any decent stuff aside from their bags, and honestly, those are overpriced as hell.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 17:04 Quote
^^^ sounds like quite the shit show... Eek

..thanks for the detailed info on the sit-bone dial-in 'brown..!! appreciate it as always tup

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 22:48 Quote
I doubt you’ll get any comfort out of the Brooks tape.

Tires could work but you’ll need to make sure it’ll match in terms of pantone. Continental Grand Prix Classic might provide the correct one. But only change when these tires are worn or if they’re really shite.

Saddles..ah yes the never ending challenge. I’m blessed with a rather easy going bum apparently but I’ve settled on the Antares and SLR.

I would like try one of those shorter saddles but that’s mostly because I was gifted a nice pair of POC bibs that were designed for a shorter saddle. First world problems…I realize that.

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 0:59 Quote
Not your typical start of a gran fondo but it was entertaining nonetheless. Balloons, confetti, an airplane and the actual devil all showing their love for the tricolore! Also, prosecco and raw shrimp at the first rest stop for those inclined, I skipped that one thanks.

Best to scrub forward to the four minute mark.

Prosecco Cycling GF Start

100km // 1300m elevation // 29.4km p/h average

62 miles // 4265ft elevation // 18.3mp/h average

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 3:58 Quote
layin' it down tup

and damn....I forgot I couldn't see the video you posted prior. Tried it again this morning but my work laptop is pretty locked down. have to check it out on another device

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007917
Mobile Version of Website